Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you send something registered mail is insurance (you can make a claim if not recieved) included?

If you send something registered mail is insurance (you can make a claim if not recieved) included?

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I believe it is insured up to $100, but you must pay for extra insurance over that.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>If you send something registered mail is insurance (you can make a claim if not recieved) included? >>

I remember from previous threads that they now require insurance on registered mail. Besides, in either case, if you don't buy insurance, it's not covered in any case I believe.
  • Options
    The only way you can send something by registered mail without insurance is if you declare that the item has no value.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Just go to USPS.com already.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    2.3 Fees and Liability
    2.3.1 Full Value
    Regardless of any insurance that may cover the article, the mailer must always declare its full value to the USPS when presenting it for registration and mailing (see chart below). The mailer must tell the USPS clerk (or enter on the firm sheet if a firm mailer) the full value of mail matter presented for registration. Private insurance carried on Registered Mail does not modify the requirements for declaring the full value. The accepting USPS employee may ask the mailer to show that the full value of the matter presented is declared, and may refuse to accept the matter as Registered Mail if a satisfactory declaration of value is not provided. Only articles of no value may be mailed as Registered Mail without insurance.

mail matter
    value to be declared

Negotiable Instrument (instruments payable to bearer, including stock certificates endorsed in blank)
    Market value (value based on value at time of mailing)

Nonnegotiable Instrument [registered bonds, warehouse receipts, checks, drafts, deeds, wills, abstracts, and similar documents (certificates of stock considered nonnegotiable so far as declaration of value is concerned unless endorsed in blank)]
    No value or replacement cost if postal insurance coverage desired1

Money
    Full value

Jewelry, Gems, Precious Metal
    Market value or cost

Merchandise
    Market value or cost

Nonvaluable (matter without intrinsic value such as letters, files, records)
    No value or replacement cost if postal insurance coverage desired

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file