Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

mtg magic crack club

i'm just starting to get back into collecting magic cards after nearly a decade away and just thought i'd say hi to all the fellow crack addicts out there. hopefully i'll be getting some stuff on the registry in not all that long to get some healthy competition going. i won't use this first post for any type of looking for list just yet, just wanted to say hello and i look forward to collecting with yall-

dave

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Dave! Look forward to helping you get your fix!
    jasper
  • Options
    Welcome Dave - nice to have you aboard!!!

Glad to see there are other people out there who think having any money left in their checking accounts is overrated image

Good luck with you collecting - hope to hear more from you.

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    forgot to mention i tried to get the username dumb_mother which is what i normally go by dumb_mother@hotmail.com- but i couldn't get it activated for some reason so i came up with something new. but if i've played e-mail tag with anyone so far to avoid confusion nuhurricane = dumb_mother =)

dm
  • Options
    Welcome aboard. What sets are you most interested in? I mostly focus on beta and the first three expansions. Bob
  • Options
    i haven't truly decided yet, i think i may go for the whole enchilada and try for a highly graded set alpha-antiquities. anyone want to give me a ballpark number on what it'd cost to build psa 10 for legends/arab/ant? i played up until about visions or so, so i'm hoping to get a playset of everything that was around while i played as well as that graded set- but who ever said reaching for the stars was a bad thing image

dm
  • Options
    oh and no graded unlimited in that dash
  • Options
    and as a rule of thumb should i even bother asking if people are selling anything here? i mean it would make sense that everyone is a purchaser that visits here, not so much on the sell side....

dm
  • Options
    Welcome Dave,
    You're right in that most people here are buyers, but you'll get an occasional sell request. For the expansions, you may be able to buy some of the extras from those collectors as I'm sure they have some. So you're not interested in collecting Unlimited?

Jake
  • Options
    na i don't think i need ul, i figure if i get some alpha and beta no real need for any ul as they are simply more prevalent copies of the former sets, i guess unless it is significantly tougher than i'm imagining to get the alpha/beta's...

dm
  • Options
    In the sets you are looking at there are three different catagories- alpha and beta are one category. For either of them, especially alpha, a collection primarily in 10 is virtually impossible. For many cards in this set (10 in beta, many more in alpha) there are no graded 10's, and even more with only one or two 10's, with those cards in very strong hands. Of course, there may still be some major cache of alpha or beta cards in perfect condition out there which have not been graded, and that would change the picture.
    If you drop your standards to mint (9's), both sets become doable, although many of the cards will be difficult to find because most of them are in collector's hands. I believe the cost of 9's in todays market is much closer than the 10's to the dealer prices for near mint cards. Alot of the alpha/beta cards in 9 sell at a 20-50% premium to the near mint price from a dealer like starcitygames.com with a minimum of about $10.
    Arabians are a little easier because a fair number of every card have been graded and there is at least one 10 of every card. Again though, the low population cards are in pretty strong hands. I have been using a crow bar to try to get a few from Tony to complete my set. My sense here is that the number of great condition Arabian cards out there which have not been graded may be more extensive, so I expect we will eventially have more 10's available.
    Antiquities and Legends are wide open. Many fewer cards have been graded. I am sure there are many more mint sets out there which could yield a lot of 9's and 10's. Interest has not been high, and the prices have been lower. An average common in 10 will sell for 20-30, as opposed to 35-50 for the alpha/betas, and the 8's and 9's are very close to the near mint price plus the cost of grading .
    Several of us have extra cards for trade or sale(to feed our habits). Any (or all) the cards in my(betabob) second beta, arabian, or antiquities sets, or listed in the discussion column of my legends set are available. You can contact me at rqkreider@hotmail.com. Good luck. Bob
  • Options
    Very well said Bob....

:-)

-Rudy
    Owner of the only solid PSA 10 alpha set BUT only 23% Complete...(not including duplicate 10's)

Currently 95 Alpha 10's so far...

8 x Alpha PSA 10 Hypnotic Spector
    3 x Alpha PSA 10 Icy Manipulator
    2 x Alpha PSA 10 Demonic Tutor
    1 x Alpha PSA 10 TimeWalk
    0 x Alpha PSA 10 Black Lotus image
  • Options
    that was amazingly helpful betabob- thanks a lot, i will definately send yall e-mails seeing what extra stuff you have lying around once i get my act together a bit more.

dm
  • Options
    Hello,
    I have been out of mtg for a few month.
    I looked a little a ebay but not much.

Welcome to you Dave image
    Bastien

Collecting MTG cards from Alpha to Antiquities.
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, a little more help please.

I just found a hoard of MTG cards I had stored away. I do have some antiquities, and a few arabians. DO commons in those sets sell in PSA 9 and 10??

I started playing around 4th edition and am pretty sure anything after that is worthless, but I have a ton of rares from the 4th on.
    What is the best way to sell those?

Also, I found a few foils and some pre release foils, are they worth anything graded or ungraded?

I'm putting together a 100 card submission and might try some MTG if anything I have is worth grading.

Thanks for any input.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    Welcome aboard Dave! Always cool to see new people join in the race. Although I don't have any of the extras registered, I do have some Alpha, Beta and Arabians graded that I'm willing to trade or sell. Feel free to drop me an email. loki (at) apathyhouse.com

• Options
    Hey RobBob,

Arabian and Antiquities commons do sell in 10; 9's are more of a gamble. There are quite a few cards from 4th on that are worth money, including some foils. Without knowing which cards you have however, its hard to say. A good website with a price checker is Magictraders - you might want to start there. Hope this helps image

Take it easy,
    Jared

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    thanks for the tip Thulnanth about the place to find prices and such. do you know any other forums that are good to sell at?
    Looking for singles to complete a se? Check out: http://www.collectible-treasures.ecrater.com
  • Options
    Straight selling they're the best outside of Ebay. Aside from them, Magiclibrarities has a lot of good information for collectors, and mtgsalvation has quite a bit of current information about the game itself. There are several other sites that are good if you have a particular format interest, and several dealer sites that are pretty good as well - lmk if there is something you're specifically interested in image

Take it easy,
    Jared