Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sep 1 is my birthday - request for images

"Solidus"
"Thaler"

New and interesting things to me... Does anyone have pictures to post as a 41st birthday present for me? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Adam. I'm only a little less than two years older than you. (I hit the big four-three in December.)

Solidus.

Well, it was the crown jewel of the Roman collection before I got that Otho denarius- that is an old sigline pic.
    The Zeno remains the centerpiece of my Holey Gold Hat, though, and is the one coin from my now-dispersing Roman collection I will keep, regardless.

Thaler.

Not the oldest or most valuable I have had, but the only cityscape I can recall owning, and the only one of my past thalers for which I still have a picture handy. Cool coins. I would come down with a terminal case of Thalermania if I could afford it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez! 41? a youngin'

Happy early B-day

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    So sayeth the elderly 50-year-old birthday boy. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if you should use 50 year old and boy in the same sentence.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    C'mon, Shroomdude. Honor the OP. You might not have a solidus for to post (or maybe you do), but I'll bet you have some pix left over from your past flirtation with Thalermania, surely? I remember a certain big ol' monster 2-thaler you had...

• Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    The word Dollar came from the word Thaler. Both are (or were) large sized silver coins meant to circulate, the earlier from the European countries (mainly Austria and Germany)... Like LordM said, the 2 thalers were quite large but the 5 thalers were likened to manhole covers (well, maybe coffee cup saucer size) but still large imposing pieces of silver of which a few tens of pieces may purchase the funding of a new ship or fund an army to defeat ones neighbors...

EDIT: Sorry you wanted pics... I will see what I can come up with in the next day or so and edit this to add a pic or two... Happy early B-day!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Happy Birthday.

Maria Theresia Taler Guensburg 1765
    Variation with S.G. under bust
    Two chopmarks:
    1) Chopmark Djawa (Indonesian island of Java) in Arabian, applied official by the Dutch Government.
    2) Chopmark Sumanep, Sultanat on the island of Madura off Java.
    Applied illegal by the Sulan of Sumanep, Pakoe Nata Ningrat (died 1854) around 1820. Illegal source of income) .
    North and South American Silver Coins.
    Chinese Silver Coins
    Chopmarks
  • Options
    And the rest.
    North and South American Silver Coins.
    Chinese Silver Coins
    Chopmarks
  • Options
    The first standard US postmark device distributed to main post offices - an example used on September 1, 1799. Hope you look as good at that age.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    OK, Thalers it is....

Link to Thalers

*** HAPPY BIRTHDAY ***

1588 Double Headed Dragon (my favorite one)

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have too many. This may be the most interesting one.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Arcadius 383-408 A.D. Solidus--#AC25947

AV Solidus 21mm. 4.43g. Constantinople Mint 378-383 A.D.

Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust, r.
    D N ARCADI-VS P F AVG

Constantinopolis, helmeted, seated facing, head r., on throne ornamented with lions' heads, holding sceptre and globe; r. foot on prow; In ex.: CONOB
    CONCORDI-A AVGGGS

RIC IX 45e
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    I had a hunch this thread was gonna provide some eye-candy, and I've not been disappointed so far! image