Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

LordM 40K giveaway (AND THE WINNER IS... Batman23!)

Batman23 won the drawing!

Having been reminded that I recently passed 40,000 posts, I thought I should do the customary giveaway, and I thought the number 40 should figure in there somehow. I couldn't think of what I had with a 40 on it until it dawned on me that I still had a few of these old Portuguese 40-reis pieces left over from a group I bought a while back. These are massive, thick coppers, and are pretty neat. Additionally, all of the ones I bought were dated 1811 or 1826, both of which happen to be better dates. They are not especially valuable coins and the condition varies widely, but they are almost dollar-sized and really thick, plus they are old and interesting.

SO, my giveaway coin will be an 1811 Portuguese 40-reis piece, also referred to as a "pataco".

The coin in the scan was the nicest of the lot (I liked its "CircCam" contrast which is not something one usually sees on copper).

The coin in the scan is NOT the giveaway coin (I already sold that), but the winner will receive an acceptable example of the same date and type.

The example being given away has probably been cleaned in the past and has slightly rough surfaces, but is still an acceptable example. You'll be impressed with how fat it is- I call these "whopper coppers". In my experience, only the old 1700s Russian 5-kopeck pieces and 1797 British "cartwheel" 2-pence coins are bigger in diameter, and are probably of about the same thickness as this coin.

Just post to this thread ONCE to enter, since the winner will be selected by a random number generator.

The drawing will be made on or shortly after September 1st, after I draw the winner in my Roman coin giveaway.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments