error or not 1947 canadian dime

there is a star after the date and i cant find others like it
anyone know?
error coins buy and sell

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a star, but a tiny maple leaf.

For some reason, Canada produced "Maple Leaf" and "plain" varieties on its 1947 coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    In the dimes, the Maple Leaf variety is actually more common than the plain variety. Mintages were 9,638,793 for the Maple Leaf versus 4,431,926 for the plain.

Catalog values (Krause, 2007) are:

Plain: $0.60 VG, $1.25 F, $2.50 VF, $6.00 XF, $20.00 MS60, $45.00 MS63.

Maple Leaf: Bullion value in VG, $0.55 F, $1.50 VF, $3.00 XF, $10.00 MS60, $15.00 MS63.

As it happens, I recently dug a 1947 "plain" cent while detecting. But both varieties of cent are common.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>For some reason, Canada produced "Maple Leaf" and "plain" varieties on its 1947 coins. >>

the maple leaf was added to coins minted in 1948, using the dies from 1947, while waiting for new dies without the "Ind. Imp.", since King George was no longer Emperor of India. Due to this, the 1948 dated coins are lower mintages, and much less common than other years in the series.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Yes pretty common i have about 10 of the 10c pieces like that I got excited the first one I saw as well till I looked it up.

Chris
  • Options
    Aha! Thanks, kuhli. I always wondered what it was all about. I didn't know if it was a mintmark or what. I had the feeling the story would come out. image

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    when worn they can almost just look like a dot