• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I hit a grand slam off him in the minors. image
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I wish I still had that issue of SI.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Yeah....some of my fantasy baseball pals were actually going to bid on him on draft day that year. I guess I should have let them.
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    yes, i was young but they go me.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    For your reading pleasure:

Sidd Finch In its April 1985 edition, Sports Illustrated published an article by George Plimpton that described an incredible rookie baseball player who was training at the Mets camp in St. Petersburg, Florida. The player was named Sidd Finch (Sidd being short for Siddhartha, the Indian mystic in Hermann Hesse’s book of the same name). He could reportedly pitch a baseball at 168 mph with pinpoint accuracy. The fastest previous recorded speed for a pitch was 103 mph.
    Finch had never played baseball before. He had been raised in an English orphanage before he was adopted by the archaeologist Francis Whyte-Finch who was later killed in an airplane crash in the Dhaulaglri mountain region of Nepal. Finch briefly attended Harvard before he headed to Tibet where he learned the teachings of the “great poet-saint Lama Milaraspa” and mastered “siddhi, namely the yogic mastery of mind-body.” Through his Tibetan mind-body mastery, Finch had “learned the art of the pitch.”
    Finch showed up at the Mets camp in Florida, and so impressed their manager that he was invited to attend training camp. When pitching he looked, in the words of the catcher, “like a pretzel gone loony.” Finch frequently wore a hiking boot on his right foot while pitching, his other foot being bare. His speed and power were so great that the catcher would only hear a small sound, “a little pft, pft-boom,” before the ball would land in his glove, knocking him two or three feet back. One of the players declared that it was not “humanly possible” to hit Finch’s pitches.
    Unfortunately for the Mets, Finch had not yet decided whether to commit himself to a career as a baseball player, or to pursue a career as a French Horn player. He told the Mets management that he would let them know his decision on April 1.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah....some of my fantasy baseball pals were actually going to bid on him on draft day that year. I guess I should have let them.
    Bob

They had fantasy baseball back in 1985?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.