Options

BWRC has a VDB coming up for sale!

!

Comments

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Hi Chris,

Correct!

I am now in the process of selling the #8 current finest MPL PCGS Registy set the "William Blake Memorial Eye Appeal and Pedigree Collection". The VDB is part of this collection. I will have images of this coin on my website in few days. Many of the coins from the collection are listed on the site and they are selling fast. Check it out. www.bwrarecoins.com
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Wish I had the funds!! image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Didn't the owner just complete the set at Baltimore?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Paul-

I sure did. It required a lot of money, luck and good people helping me to complete that collection. But it is complete (unless a 1917 is around the bend). It was extremely gratifying to complete, too. If it seems odd to you that I would sell so quickly, please look at the string above in the Registry entitled "Matte Proof Lincoln's for the week of 8-27". I explain to my fellow collectors the whats and whys regarding my cash-out at this time.

Also, take a look at the following read: http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5433&universeid=313.

That article may give you some idea as to my motivations to create the set in the first instance. I suspect I may come back with another MPL or other series theme set, but want to give the future of my collections some more thought. My philosophy is why do it without joy and passion, and a theme is central to the collecting challenge, from my perspective. I need a reason to collect. When the set is complete, I have no fear of moving forward. The money is secondary to me. I have a career that keeps me busy, and collecting is just a way to have fun and create special creative sets (in this case, it was a very personal honorarium, and special to me and my family - and my goal was achieved). Collecting is just pure passion and fun, for me, and I want to keep it that way. I love the hunt!

Maybe one of those MPLs would look good in your collection!! : )

Cheers.

Duane
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Duane! For a real challenge, try those BPI's (Brilliant Proof Indians)
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NASA reports

The Space station contacted Earth to say

they

had just seen MPL prices floating by...................
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Grasshopper!! I kind of understand what you are saying. Just so that you can truly enjoy coin collecting to its fullest, i would think about giving you your money back minus 20 percent. That way you get to enjoy the hobby to its fullest. The ink barely dried on the 3rd mortage.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    PA-

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to keep collecting, as you can imagine. I'm just deciding what series I want to jump into now (in conjunction with perhaps building another MPL set with a differant theme and new challenging goal. ......maybe a fourth mortgage : )

The great thing about MPLs is that each one is unique, like a fingerprint, so one can never grow tired of looking at and collecting them! I'm also thinking about helping Kevin Flynn with the new MPL book he is planning, which will be fun, but take some time.

Thanks again.

Duane
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

The 1909 VDB graded PCGS PR65RB has been withdrawn as the owner has decided to keep the coin for now.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    wise move.

(I guess I can take off the "for sale" sign I had taped to the back of my first born child}
  • Options
    Seller's remorse image
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    But I already donated some organs!
  • Options
    Me too! the brain but not the heart.......
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $30K for a kidney? Kidneys are cheap!
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wise move. (I guess I can take off the "for sale" sign I had taped to the back of my first born child} >>

I agree with the wise move...one less hurdle
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Duane,
    Some friendly advise. Don't ever let yourself be without ownership of at least ONE 1909VDB MPL. It seems to me that coin collecting and especially Lincoln cents and Matte Proof Lincolns are now firmly "in your blood". It may appear that with funds a 1909VDB MPL can be aquired at any time. That may not necessarily be true. There are a VERY select few collectors who can say they OWN a 1909VDB MPL and that is an honor I would expect you would want to keep during your collecting lifetime. My best to you.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    This is off topic but are there any MPLs with cameo contrast? Either slabbed or raw???

By the way, BWRC, very nice coin!!!
  • Options
    Not that I know of. I think that would be impossible understanding the die making process.
  • Options
    Steve-

"There are a VERY select few collectors who can say they OWN a 1909VDB MPL and that is an honor I would expect you would want to keep during your collecting lifetime."

Very true. I do not know why more do not appear, but they just don't. And when they do, you have to pull all the gold out of your pockets to get them. I don't see 1) the populations increasing; 2) the demand decreasing. One might say the same for all QUALITY MPLs in general. We may have seen the last of the days when these coins could be piked up at the corner store for $100 a coin. The cat is most certainly out of the bag.

Less then 20 complete sets have been displayed.

One question for the group: once I have retired my set, which I have now done, am I allowed to build another differant registry collection, and use the VDB I just retired in the old set as part of a completely new registry set? Differant theme, almost all new coins, ect....... (or do i need to find and purchase another 1909VDB as part of the new set)?

Regards,

Duane
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of Course you can list your pre owned 1909 in a new set!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I personally feel the mintage ( issue) figures for the VDB proof are completely wrong. My personal theory is that, yes, they did mint 1194 or 420......but given the chronology of the INTRODUCTION date of the 1909 lincoln, and the very rapid switch under public pressure to the the no VDB coin....very few VDB matte proofs were actually sold.

I feel that as soon as the new VDB-less coin, business strike and proof was available, sales and distribution of the vdb proof ceased...and remaining stocks were tossed into the melt pot.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally feel the mintage figures for the VDB proof are completely wrong. My personal theory is that, yes, they did mint 1194 or 420......but given the chronology of the INTRODUCTION date of the 1909 lincoln, and the very rapid switch under public pressure to the the no VDB coin....very few VDB matte proofs were actually sold.

I feel that as soon as the new VDB-less coin, business strike and proof was available, sales and distribution of the vdb proof ceased...and remaining stocks were tossed into the melt pot. >>

And boy did we have a great discussion about that subject here

Steveimage
  • Options
    "Of Course you can list your pre owned 1909 in a new set!"

Thank you for your answer!

I agree with the theories that Ambro and Steve offer. That would explain why the VDB SEEMS so rare compared to the 1916, which we know only had 600 minted.