Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My last two ancients, one Greek, one Roman - Post your ancient Pictures here!

I have sold off my ancients, except these two. The Roman is from the great Lord M's collection. image I will revisit purchasing more ancients soon, but I am concentrating on other areas at the moment. I did want to share these pictures, as I thought they came out pretty well. Feel free to post as many of yours as you would like!

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that Marcus Aurelius coin. I was disappointed to see it was already sold. Good pick up.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my favorite coins:

Parthia Orodes I (BC 90-80) Drachm
    Obverse: Bust left with medium beard wearing tiara with eight pointed star in center
    Reverse: Archer seated right on throne; in right hand bow, Greek inscription
    Mint: Rhagae (undated)
    English: "[Of the] Great King, Arsaces, the Autocrat, the Father-loving, the Noble, the Greek-loving"
    Catalog: Sellwood Orodes I Type 31 - Size 20mm
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Ancients? Here's a couple of my favorites-

I also plan to revisit ancients soon, RG. Right now I'm obsessing over hammered coins and reales.image

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Parthian tetradrachm attributed to Bagasis, ca BC 127-125. Tyche seated on the reverse. Recent purchase from Frank Kovacs and a big holefiller for my Parthian portrait collection.

imageimage

imageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    And a Eucratides tetradrachm, ca BC 170-145. Great style, almost no wear and larger than a US half dollar, it was priced right due to the lamination on the reverse. But it works great from my Bactrian/IndoGreek portrait set.

imageimage

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another favorite Parthian coin:

Parthia Vologases III (AD 105-147) Drachm
    Obverse: Bare-headed bust left with pointed beard; wearing diadem with loop at top; earring visible; border of dots
    Reverse: Archer seated right on throne holding bow; blundered Greek legend
    Mint: Ecbatana (undated)
    Catalog: Sellwood Vologases III Type 78 - Size 20mm
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    My newest Roman Republic coin. Not the normal complacent she-wolf on this one.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Love that Marcus Aurelius coin. I was disappointed to see it was already sold. Good pick up. >>

That comment from the person who sold it to me in the first place. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, there is some sweet stuff posted here.

I have always thought this type was neat, and Filthybroke goes and posts a nicely toned example, to boot!

<< <i>image >>

I could acquire a habit for Roman Republican and Greek silver, if I was a wealthier man and didn't watch myself.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.