Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What grade would you give this card ?

Since I dont own too many graded cards, I was wondering what grade you should expect, with this corner.

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Assuming the rest of the card was sharp it could be a 9 with one touched corner.
  • Options

<< <i>Assuming the rest of the card was sharp it could be a 9 with one touched corner. >>

Does the edge look a bit rough too ?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Can not base a card on just this one corner, but if all other corners are sharp it could be a 9.
  • Options
    Sure, assume the rest is all good. I should have said that.

Anybody think it has a shot at being a 10 ?
  • Options
    I don't think it is a 10 (and would not be happy with it as one) although I see it is already graded....so I am going to guess it is graded 10.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Based on centering it should not get a 10.
  • Options

<< <i>Based on centering it should not get a 10. >>

--->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    Yup, it was graded a 10 (and sold for more than $200.00 ... not bad for a nickel card LOL) .

I'm having trouble loading the whole picture, but that what it was

Thanks. I wanted to know what others thought
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I don't think I would have even thought to submit a card that looked like this. Looks like the error paid off for the seller.

There are some folks who pay crazy money for 1984 Topps Tigers PSA 10s!

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I hope that the above post does not get removed.

It just goes to show the inconsistency of graded material. While I very much like the fact of protective holders, grading is too subjective. It seems more like a lottery (hey great I got a 10, crap I got a 6)

I imagine the "numbers game" is good for dealers - bad for collectors who get stiffed by poor grading. I recall the post now so long ago about the trimmed Ruth and the efforts one collector went to get the grade he desired - submitting it over and over. It seemed a waste of time and funds (his choice).

I still respect those who wish to grade everything and base their purchases solely on grading. However, the debate continues with the gentleman who has recently posted about the box of cards he has submitted. The rejection of his collection for evid. of trimming is probably maddening.

While I understand this forum is sponsored by a company associated with grading, it remains important to expose the shortcomings of this aspect of card collecting.

These are purely my opinions.
    cheers
  • Options
    I would have waited for a better copy of a graded 10 to show up than pay $200 for that one.
  • Options
    I think I am about to go search through about 2500 commons from 1984 Topps and OPC and pull out all the no name commons that have a shot at a 10.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yikes that card looks like a low end 8 to me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Yikes that card looks like a low end 8 to me.

Steve >>

True, but we're talking DOUG BAIR HERE !!!

LOL
  • Options

<< <i>I think I am about to go search through about 2500 commons from 1984 Topps and OPC and pull out all the no name commons that have a shot at a 10. >>

Can I buy all of your TIGERS ?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think I would have even thought to submit a card that looked like this. Looks like the error paid off for the seller.

image >>

You should check out 68 Tigers in PSA 10. The last Kaline went for about $10,000. Of the 14 or so World Championship and National Championship teams around here from the past 40 years, the '68 and '84 Tigers are the most revered. I would even go as far as to say by a great deal.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    I say PSA 10! image

HK
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>I don't think I would have even thought to submit a card that looked like this. Looks like the error paid off for the seller.

image >>

I don't know if it's the scan or if my eyes are failing me, but it looks like a 6 year old cut out that right side with some safety scissors.
  • Options
    Too be honest ...... my original guess was PSA 7
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    thats crazy, that a 7 or 8 at best... most of been from 4 square corners or psa sports collectibles. they always get high grades no matter what cause psa likes there business!!!!!!!!!
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    I hope grader 142 grades my cards..maybe sometime this week?? image
  • Options
    I painfully inspect my submissions. It's stuff like this that concerns me. I have purchased a few shaky "9s" for my registry sets lately. Guess I don't know what to think.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Does lightning strike twice ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-topps-536-Doug-Bair-psa-10-tigers_W0QQitemZ360087402517QQihZ023QQcategoryZ55928QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

once again, a nasty looking 10

the same ugly bottom left corner

the last one, went for $200
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I think I am about to go search through about 2500 commons from 1984 Topps and OPC and pull out all the no name commons that have a shot at a 10.....

like others have said, i would not have thought this as being 10-worthy if i were planning to submit it. there is no telling how many 10s we all have lying around that will never see the light of day in a slab.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    so did the same "psa-set-guy" have both of these??? the background from the OP looks like the one currently for sale from the "set guy".

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    I will bite my tongue. i will probably half to Cut it off, not to comment on many of the other 6000 listings
  • Options
    what does OP stand for ?
  • Options
    OP = original poster. sorry about that.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>so did the same "psa-set-guy" have both of these??? the background from the OP looks like the one currently for sale from the "set guy". >>

This I dont remember. I came across these 2 cards, because I'm always searching for 1984 Tigers (since I lived in michigan for 30 years).
  • Options
    auction #1 - 84 topps bair - from the same "set guy"

geez, the entire left side looks un 10-worthy. that's the way it goes i guess. if i had received a 10 on it, i would probably sell it as well.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)