Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I wasn't even four months old and I'm still PO'd!

I just now by chance opened a 1960 New Netherlands catalog and saw a nice 1837 Costa Rica 8 Escudos, Assayer F. Damn it, I've been looking for one of those for ten years! I was briefly PO'd that I didn't go to the auction, but quickly realized it was moot because I wasn't collecting the series yet. But I'm still mad at my parents for not buying the thing for me. They should have known, and it only brought $280. image

You know, I wish I was kidding...
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was only 7 when the Helfenstein LC Sale took place...........I'm still mad at my parents over that one. image
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    That's Classic !!!!
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at a Redbook from 1965, my birthyear. Oh, man. Even the one from 1976, the year I started collecting, is "oh boy" material.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get pissed when I think of the $20 Saints I could have bought for $45 when I started collecting coins, and thinking at the time, what a ripoff, a $20 gold coin for $45!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

As a kid in the late 50's and early 60's I would take my
    allowance to Woolworths (yes they sold coins) and buy nice Morgans for 2 to 3 dollars.

My Grandfather thought I was daft. He would ask me why I would pay 2 to 3 dollars
    for 1 dollar.

I didn't have a good answer. I just knew that I liked them more than spending my
    money on a toy.

I still have some of those Morgans.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I did a stock market project in middle school back in 1995 and I remember telling my parents that they should put all of their money in Microsoft stock. They didn't listen.

1995: $69/share
    1999: $175/share

Grrr
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just now by chance opened a 1960 New Netherlands catalog and saw a nice 1837 Costa Rica 8 Escudos, Assayer F. Damn it, I've been looking for one of those for ten years! I was briefly PO'd that I didn't go to the auction, but quickly realized it was moot because I wasn't collecting the series yet. But I'm still mad at my parents for not buying the thing for me. They should have known, and it only brought $280. image

You know, I wish I was kidding... >>

$280...that dinner for 4 with wine!!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• But I'm still mad at my parents for not buying the thing for me.

I watch Antiques Roadshow and get POed at my grandparents for not buying me things.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't even four months old and I'm still PO'd!

I thought this was going to be about circumcision. image

My grandmother was born near San Francisco in 1908. If only my grea-grandparents would have gone to the bank to buys bags of coins to celebrate her birth that year or next! Why didn't they think about such things?!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • My grandmother was born near San Francisco in 1908. If only my grea-grandparents would have gone to the bank to buys bags of coins to celebrate her birth that year or next! Why didn't they think about such things?!

My grandmother remembered when they sold Coke stock door-to-door for 10 cents a share.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My grandmother was born near San Francisco in 1908. If only my grea-grandparents would have gone to the bank to buys bags of coins to celebrate her birth that year or next! Why didn't they think about such things?!

My grandmother remembered when they sold Coke stock door-to-door for 10 cents a share. >>

Has it gone up since then?
    Obscurum per obscurius