Home Precious Metals

Anyone ever go to (or host) a Gold Party?

A gold party is like a tupperware party - the host throws a party and friends bring their scrap gold. The host can select to purchase the scrap from whoever he/she wishes. Then, the host turns the scrap in to a refiner - presumably getting a better rate for a larger quantity and maybe making a little profit for themselves.

I kid you not. Check it out
Successful BST purchases from: WaterSport, commoncents123, Hyperion, mozeppa, Mar327, coinlieutenant, Placid, MFH, fishteeth, FilthyBroke, SilverEagles92, illini420, barberman55, pcgs69 (2x) & 123cents

History of the US Constitution Coin Set

Comments

• RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Instead of a moveable feast, it is a moveable "pawn shop?" I guess in a down economy some folks are desperate. My friends are not in such dire straits, or whatever other reasons might drive a person to sell gold jewelry or gold fillings.

Might be more fun as a "coin party," where all items are put up for bid in a real auction. The host gets a small percentage. Seems like a lot less chance for hard feelings that way. Though in either case, if bad folks find out about the party, it could turn into a "give me all your valuables party," with bad guys showing up in ski masks with guns. The more I think out loud, the less I want to do these parties.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the '80's everyone was hosting gold parties. They would go to the wholeseller and get a whole bunch of gold chain/earrings and bracelets. Invite everyone over (usually in a hotel room) and undercut all the big retail stores.

Some people did very well at this for a few years.

It got 'tired' after awhile and fizzled out.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)