Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

As a seller- Would you do this deal?

You guys can bash me later about the first part of the story. I look at the SGC boards from time to time because I like cards, not just PSA ones. A guy on there needs 1969 Topps Basketball cards. He says he needs 7's for a set. I send him a message telling him that I have about 30 doubles that are PSA 7 or 8 if he is interested. He lets me know that he and a friend are both collecting a set each so asks for a price list on the cards individually and as a lot. So I send the list with prices. It takes him a while to get back with me- about 7 days. He cuts the list in half and offers me a price of $185 which was about what I wanted. I email him and tell him I will send them out for $195 because I will fully insure and tall boys are heavy holders. He says he will get back with me. He gets back with me in about 4 days and says "can we wait until next Monday because I just sent a bunch of cards to SGC" he then goes on to say a real third party authenticator with no other interests who grades the most accurately===it's as if he's bashing me alittle bit, and I'm growing skeptical of this potential deal. He also says he is picking up the 300 and something cards on Friday from SGC--mind you it's like Tuesday. So the guy sent in 300 gradings with a turnaround of about 3 days picked up. Plus what service did he use- super express $50 a card. I'm starting to really wonder at this point. So he emails me on the next Tuesday as he said he wanted to wait to Monday so that was good. He still needs all of the cards but 4. So he's down to 8 cards. He says that that should be about $130 based on the $185; but now he says he needs one of my PSA 8 doubles #88 Fox who happens to be not an easy common. He asks me for the total. I tell him $130 for the 8 cards and $170 for the 8 cards plus #88 delivered. He emails me back and says like 200 of the 300 got 7's and above from his submission and how surprised he was. He never makes mention at all of closing this deal. I email him and say "Are you interested in the cards, if so send payment, etc. He emails back and says he has to go through the graded ones from his sub. and figure out his set list. He emails me again and says "I only need 2 PSA 7 commons, would you do $35 delivered." I think I got the run around and have not emailed him back. I think he was toying me because I offered him PSA cards or something. What do you guys think of this? I haven't emailed him back.

Comments

• Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    I'd let it go.
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    The guy sounds like a scatterbrain, I wouldn't sell him anything. His other personality may change it's mind and want to retract the deal, or worse you could make his "list"
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    He's all over the place and down to $35. Not worth your time. Move on.
  • Options
    I would move on and pass... if he really wanted the cards the deal would have been done by now.
  • Options
    There was someone on the SGC forum? that place is a ghost town lol...
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was someone on the SGC forum? that place is a ghost town lol... >>

I think a heavy traffic day is 4-5 posts. I check it every 3 days or so.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    I'd pass!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'd have been done with him after a few days.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I'd pass, too.

Gawd that post was hard to read.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Neg him.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    have him send you a money order.
    then hold the cards hostage for twice the amount.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I'd pass on this transaction. You can't negotiate different cards and prices with each e-mail.

• Options
    I think you are right about the run around. Just let it go.
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    I WOULD NOT DO THE DEAL EITHER... YES, THE GUY DID PICK UP HIS 300 CARDS THAT HE HAD SENT IN ONE MONTH EARLIER.. HE SENT THEM IN BY MAIL AND PICKED THEM UP AT A LOCAL SHOW 1 MONTH LATER.... DOES THAT SOUND RIDICULOUS????????? NOW HE USES SGC, IS THAT SO UNREAL??? NEVER PUT DOWN PSA OR ANY OTHER GRADING SERVICE, BUT PREFERS SGC AND KNOWS THAT CARDS OFFERED TO HIM WERE PSA.. IS THAT TO CRAZY????? NOW HAD TO SEE WHAT WAS GRADED AND WHAT HE STILL NEEDED FOR SET, IS THAT WILD?????? NEVER NEGOTIATED PRICES OFFERED HIM FROM SELLER DANNY DOUGHERTY, JUST DID NOT NEED AS MANY AS FIRST THOUGHT AND AFTER HE WAS OFFERED PRICES ON CARDS INDIVIDUALLY AND STAYED ON THAT TRACK..... SO MICKEY 71, WHAT IS AWFUL??????????? NEVER WAITED 7 DAYS ON ANYTHING AND YOU TOLD ME YOU HAD A LIST T O SELL ME AND THAT TOOK 3 WEEKS FOR YOU TO SEND.... YOU WERE THE INVISIBLE PARTY HERE, SO G ET THE FACTS OUT THE CORRECT WAY..... THANK YOU DANNY
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    The ol' runaround, leave this one alone.
  • Options
    On my keyboard there is a key right below the "tab" key that you need to find.
  • Options
    I would do the deal. It is quite possible that his raw cards came back with better grades than expected. Some money in the hand is better than nothing.
  • Options
    WAY too much work involved for that kind of sale. let it go like the other's said...unless you really need the money for the couple cards he now says he wants.

at some point very early I would have said - XXX is the price per card.....tell me what your final want list is and then we can complete payment.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I WOULD NOT DO THE DEAL EITHER... YES, THE GUY DID PICK UP HIS 300 CARDS THAT HE HAD SENT IN ONE MONTH EARLIER.. HE SENT THEM IN BY MAIL AND PICKED THEM UP AT A LOCAL SHOW 1 MONTH LATER.... DOES THAT SOUND RIDICULOUS????????? NOW HE USES SGC, IS THAT SO UNREAL??? NEVER PUT DOWN PSA OR ANY OTHER GRADING SERVICE, BUT PREFERS SGC AND KNOWS THAT CARDS OFFERED TO HIM WERE PSA.. IS THAT TO CRAZY????? NOW HAD TO SEE WHAT WAS GRADED AND WHAT HE STILL NEEDED FOR SET, IS THAT WILD?????? NEVER NEGOTIATED PRICES OFFERED HIM FROM SELLER DANNY DOUGHERTY, JUST DID NOT NEED AS MANY AS FIRST THOUGHT AND AFTER HE WAS OFFERED PRICES ON CARDS INDIVIDUALLY AND STAYED ON THAT TRACK..... SO MICKEY 71, WHAT IS AWFUL??????????? NEVER WAITED 7 DAYS ON ANYTHING AND YOU TOLD ME YOU HAD A LIST T O SELL ME AND THAT TOOK 3 WEEKS FOR YOU TO SEND.... YOU WERE THE INVISIBLE PARTY HERE, SO G ET THE FACTS OUT THE CORRECT WAY..... THANK YOU DANNY >>

Uh...what?
  • Options
    lol So what exactly are you saying? That you and Mickey have two different versions of what transpired?

Welcome to the world.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I WOULD NOT DO THE DEAL EITHER... YES, THE GUY DID PICK UP HIS 300 CARDS THAT HE HAD SENT IN ONE MONTH EARLIER.. HE SENT THEM IN BY MAIL AND PICKED THEM UP AT A LOCAL SHOW 1 MONTH LATER.... DOES THAT SOUND RIDICULOUS????????? NOW HE USES SGC, IS THAT SO UNREAL??? NEVER PUT DOWN PSA OR ANY OTHER GRADING SERVICE, BUT PREFERS SGC AND KNOWS THAT CARDS OFFERED TO HIM WERE PSA.. IS THAT TO CRAZY????? NOW HAD TO SEE WHAT WAS GRADED AND WHAT HE STILL NEEDED FOR SET, IS THAT WILD?????? NEVER NEGOTIATED PRICES OFFERED HIM FROM SELLER DANNY DOUGHERTY, JUST DID NOT NEED AS MANY AS FIRST THOUGHT AND AFTER HE WAS OFFERED PRICES ON CARDS INDIVIDUALLY AND STAYED ON THAT TRACK..... SO MICKEY 71, WHAT IS AWFUL??????????? NEVER WAITED 7 DAYS ON ANYTHING AND YOU TOLD ME YOU HAD A LIST T O SELL ME AND THAT TOOK 3 WEEKS FOR YOU TO SEND.... YOU WERE THE INVISIBLE PARTY HERE, SO G ET THE FACTS OUT THE CORRECT WAY..... THANK YOU DANNY >>

If this is the intelligence of those on the SGC boards, I'll stay away!
  • Options
    I WOULD NOT DO THE DEAL EITHER... YES, THE GUY DID PICK UP HIS 300 CARDS THAT HE HAD SENT IN ONE MONTH EARLIER.. HE SENT THEM IN BY MAIL AND PICKED THEM UP AT A LOCAL SHOW 1 MONTH LATER.... DOES THAT SOUND RIDICULOUS????????? NOW HE USES SGC, IS THAT SO UNREAL??? NEVER PUT DOWN PSA OR ANY OTHER GRADING SERVICE, BUT PREFERS SGC AND KNOWS THAT CARDS OFFERED TO HIM WERE PSA.. IS THAT TO CRAZY????? NOW HAD TO SEE WHAT WAS GRADED AND WHAT HE STILL NEEDED FOR SET, IS THAT WILD?????? NEVER NEGOTIATED PRICES OFFERED HIM FROM SELLER DANNY DOUGHERTY, JUST DID NOT NEED AS MANY AS FIRST THOUGHT AND AFTER HE WAS OFFERED PRICES ON CARDS INDIVIDUALLY AND STAYED ON THAT TRACK..... SO MICKEY 71, WHAT IS AWFUL??????????? NEVER WAITED 7 DAYS ON ANYTHING AND YOU TOLD ME YOU HAD A LIST T O SELL ME AND THAT TOOK 3 WEEKS FOR YOU TO SEND.... YOU WERE THE INVISIBLE PARTY HERE, SO G ET THE FACTS OUT THE CORRECT WAY..... THANK YOU DANNY

1) The way you type makes you come off as a crazy person. Tone it down about 127 notches.

2) Why would you start negotiating a deal for stuff that you already have in the process of being graded? Why not wait until they come back until you send him the list of what you need? I know if I needed a PSA 10 Karl Malone RC and had 3 currently at PSA that had a good shot, I wouldn't be trying to negotiate a deal with someone trying to get one. It seems to me you were trying to stall him to make sure he wouldn't sell the cards to somebody else, in the meantime waiting for your grades to get back so then you could send him the updated list of what you need. This is really inconsiderate considering mickey could've sold the cards to somebody else while you were selfishly stalling him.

3) You offered to buy the cards at $185, he countered with $195 to account for shipping and insurance. At this point you either need to pull the trigger or walk away. Anything else and you're just screwing around.
  • Options

I refuse to read this.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I refuse to read this. >>

You just became the smartest guy here.
  • Options
    Thank God Lee knows how to interpret crazy people.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve- I've had practice. I have like 50 pm's from fandango.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve- I've had practice. I have like 50 pm's from fandango. >>

Does he call you Lee, Nick or Gary in those PMs? I would imagine that it depends on the day and his level of medication at that moment.
  • Options
    I can't read that post. I'm probably going to quit the hobby because of it. Oh and by the way, if anyone wants to send me their personal information, I'd like to solicit you via PM's. Anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I refuse to read this. >>

You just became the smartest guy here. >>

Ha, I refused to even open the thread.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank God Lee knows how to interpret crazy people.

Steve >>

You know I skipped the "crazy" e-mails and just read the comments. This is kind of funny. You get a collector foul Danny. (Sort of like a party foul).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

image That is all.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

image Is this for real?

If the initial messages were anything like this, I would have deleted them without even looking at them.

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ROFIWDMLOLII
    ·p_A·