Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

NEW PCGS PRICE GUIDE - WOW!!!

I just took a quick look at the new price guide. Looked just at Lincoln cents but it must be the same for all denominations. Comparing the coin price changes by day, 2 weeks, 3 months and year is SUPER. I also looked at the auction price listing. Great job by the PCGS tech people. Thanks. Steveimage

Comments

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    you got that right there steve...
    sum pretty neat advancements there

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be a glitch, or just overuse, but the priceguide has apparantly crashed.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only been able to access part of it. And Modern collectors who collect only for investment, need to look at that year long loser list...

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I had a chance to do some more exploring with the new price guide tonight. I wanted to get the one year price differences on all MPL's. We are fortunate that PCGS has Matte proof Lincolns as a sub category in the price and population guides. I went to the regular Lincoln price listing and paged down to the MPL section. Then clicked on price changes. Then paged down to all this years gainers. There were NO losers! That gave me a listing in percentage gain order. I then clicked on the PCGS No at the top left and it brought the listing by grade, by date with the 1916 first. I wanted to check my nine coins prices and found that they were up 37% for the year. This is a great tool which I am sure will be refined and updated as we go along. I printed out the entire listing by reverse date (1916, 1915, 1914, etc) with each date broken out by RD,RB,BN and grade 67 down to 60. Seems that listing is upside down, but it is certainly VERY usable. All you MPL guys may want to try this for your own MPL collection. Steveimage
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you first hand that my modest PR 64 R&B set has doubled over what I actually paid for the coins in two years time. In fact, if I was shopping today for these coins today, I would simply be priced out. Just look at the MPL price guide for this week. The whole THING is green in every coin and color designation. Is there ANY other series with this type of growth??? IMHO Gold/platinum simply would not count in this equation as it’s based on bullion values. So what COMPLETE series is seeing this type of appreciation???? Is there any other????

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose the next step up from this current revised price guide would be Level 2, like the stock junkies (of which I was once one) sit and watch with baited breath from 7 AM until 8 PM. Thrilling to the pulsating candlesticks....and watching the orders from the market makers stack, waiting their turn to see if the bid/ask spread widens or narrows a few pennies, to get the candlestick moving.

Personally, what I **LIKE** about coins is that they do NOT move on a daily (hourly, 2 minute) basis......next thing ya know...Bob Chambers is gonna be on CNBC doing a Krrrrramer ripoff, "MAD MATTIES"

The first red number may send all the MPL fans running off to SELL SELL SELL

The wind would blow their MPL hats right off their heads!

(BTW< where ARE those hats anyway??) image

(edited to further the diatraub)

...and X-actely how is it determined that such and such grade/color MPL went up ten bucks in a day? Theres only 1400 of these after all in PCGS slabs...and Id estimate at least 7/8 of these are tucked away in registry sets, safe deposit boxes, desk drawers etc etc and not even CLOSE to being for sale. Id say most people collecting these coins are not cash poor, not out for a quick flip buck, and will hold these coins for quite awhile. Is that ten buck raise all a slow and calculated play by the home team to bring the guide vs. real world prices more in line? We all know that the price guide is totally inaccurate, especially in 64 and below. You **TRY** and buy a 16 in 64BN for 1750$, youre gonna get laughed at and asked to pony up the 'Other' half of the asking price.

A thinly traded coin, in high demand, with limited availability.... just cant be priced like PCGS is attempting. If they would actually **ACTUALLY** look at all the ebay sales, private sales, auction results, dealer to collector sales....they would be able to put together an accurate portrayal of the prices. I guarantee this is NOT being done. Or...maybe it IS being done...and that constant green is their way or ramping up the values they list more in keeping with real world prices, instead of just doubleing them on every grade under 65 and being done with it.

(PS I WANT MY HAT)