Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

John Quincy Adams edge lettering anomaly

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
What would cause this problem in the middle coin's edge lettering.

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    My guess is a loose collar and the coin rotated between punches.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Is it my imagination, or is the edge lettering on the Prez Dollars the lowest quality edge lettering ever used on a circulating coin?

I've seen lettering and non-reeded designs on a few other sorts of coins so far, especially french gold and mexican silver. It seems well done. Perfect, in fact.

Prez Dollars seem to suffer from high speed mass production that can barely punch the letters in a readable manner.

Looking for the year is crazy to do; difficult. You just need to look at the president and remember which year it was minted. The mint mark, unfortunately, is very small on that edge. I wish they would just use a punch on the reverse for the mintmark.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Is this the quality we get for the 21st century..???..If it cost the Mint six cents to make each coin dollar give us decent edge lettering please...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm. Interesting. I just got three JQA dollars in change at a SC convenience store yesterday, to my astonishment. (The clerk asked if I wanted them and I said sure. I suspect she was relieved to rid her drawer of them). These were the only Prez bucks I have received since the one time I got a George Washington the month those came out. I was tickled to see some in circulation, moreso because I am a descendant of JQA (and John Adams, of course).

Can't say my esteemed ancestor was that handsome a fella, though. Kinda scary lookin'.

I'll have to check the edges on those.

Cool find you have there, even if it just turns out to be poor minting quality versus something worth a premium.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.....gotta say, i think the edge lettering is one of the biggest design blunders EVER!!!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell exactly from your scans, but that
    middle coin looks like it's been 'bumped' up
    against another coin, and either the "O" from
    a letter or the date has pressed against your
    coin.

If the 'extra' lettering is raised, that would be
    the explaination.

If it's incused, then yes = it's an anomaly.

Until someone gets to literally stick their nose
    into the Edge Lettering machine, and see
    exactly how it operates, we can only speculate
    as to what causes the jamming, the wide spacing
    of letters on some coins, etc.

Most 'different' edge lettering types that are found
    are damaged from contact with other coins after
    they go thru the E.L. operation.

Hope this helps a little bit....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Until someone gets to literally stick their nose
    into the Edge Lettering machine, and see
    exactly how it operates, we can only speculate
    as to what causes the jamming, the wide spacing
    of letters on some coins, etc. >>

I don't knowwww. Sounds a little painfull to me, but I've heard of crazier things.image
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359

<< <i> I was tickled to see some in circulation, moreso because I am a descendant of JQA (and John Adams, of course).

>>

fill us in
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coin got jammed in edge lettering machine. in some cases this crunches letters together and creates a nice long empty space about 180 degrees out from the jam mark. if so, brings a nice litte premium on ebay (people collect just about anything).

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I was tickled to see some in circulation, moreso because I am a descendant of JQA (and John Adams, of course).

>>

fill us in >>

......let's see some id....image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Thank you folks....
    Where might I send this for further analysis ? Fred W ? PCGS ?
  • Options
    Cert Verification #: 14491765
    PCGS Coin #: 394661
    Date, mintmark: 2008-P
    Denomination: $1
    Variety: John Quincy Adams Position A
    Minor Variety:
    Mint Error:
    Pedigree: Edge Damaged
    Grade: Genuine (98 - Damage or Tooling)
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Interesting assessment in a genuine holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file