Home Precious Metals

Silver ounce question... troy oz

I'm a little confused... lets say silver is trading at 18.00 an ounce, is that a troy ounce or a regular ounce. From what I gather, a troy ounce weighs a bit more than a regular ounce. So naturally, a troy ounce would sell more than a regular ounce... right? My second question, is the ASE a regular ounce or a troy ounce? Thanks for any help guys. image

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices of precious metals are always expressed in troy ounces.
    An American silver eagle weighs one troy ounce.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>The prices of precious metals are always expressed in troy ounces.
    An American silver eagle weighs one troy ounce. >>

I think that sums it up... Thanks Capt. image
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I might add that the Troy Pound is 12 Troy Ounces.

It is a common sleazeball tactic, especially on eBay, to attempt to confuse the buyers over troy versus avoirdupois weight. And when one uses both pounds and ounces of both types, it gets extra confusing and dangerous for the uninformed buyer.

They can say "it's a pound of silver"...play some funny math games with incorrect conversions...and you are skinned for about 30%.

• Thanks adamlaneus, ebay is why I asked the question. I'm finding out you're dead on about the sleazeball tactics. image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASEs are one full troy oz. of silver, or 31.1 grams of .999

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Regular (avoirdupois) ounce = 28.3495231 grams
    1 regular pound = 453.59237 grams (16 oz's)

1 troy ounce = 31.1034768 grams
    Troy pound = 373.2417216 grams (12 oz's)

fyi: 1 gram = 15.4323584 grains