Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Strange Font

How weird is this. Maybe it is more common than I'm aware of. I pulled the aikman on the left from the group box break and the one on the right I pulled 15+ years ago. Look at the font where it says "1989*Rookie" at the top and look where it says Quarterback at the botom. They are completely differen't fonts used. the more recent version is also more bold. Has anyone see something like this before? Why is this like this?

Comments

• Options
    Good eye!

HK
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    now that I look closer his name is slightly different too. The spaceing on the letters seems different. I thought at first maybe their was more ink used but it is more then that. It is different font. How does this happen
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Wow you do have a good eye... wonder what the deal is with that?
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Is there a legible "TM" next to the Score logo on the left card?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    this is pretty interesting.

i just pulled out mine and it looks like the one on the left....i think
  • Options
    Wow, even the TM is different. Are you saying the one on the left is from BBCE?
  • Options
    I just checked every 89 Aikman on Ebay, and they all look like the one on the left.

Have these cards had any known counterfit copies? Back in the mid 90s I guess it would have been worth it to give it a try, but I never heard of any.
  • Options
    The one on the right is FAKE... LINK

Not calling you out but damn..

You sure you pulled the counterfeit from a pack 15 years ago?

• Options
    mystery solved. Learned my lesson for the day. thanks!
  • Options
    Wow. That was a good catch to notice it.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    The backs are identical. I will get a scan up later. I am also positive it was from a pack since I pulled it. Unless the shop i bought it from somehow put one in a pack and then resealed it. I highly doubt this.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>The backs are identical. I will get a scan up later. I am also positive it was from a pack since I pulled it. Unless the shop i bought it from somehow put one in a pack and then resealed it. I highly doubt this. >>

if it happened during the Cowboys glory days in the early 90's, then it is not a stretch to assume exactly what you just described. that was a RED-HOT card.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The backs are identical. I will get a scan up later. I am also positive it was from a pack since I pulled it. Unless the shop i bought it from somehow put one in a pack and then resealed it. I highly doubt this. >>

if it happened during the Cowboys glory days in the early 90's, then it is not a stretch to assume exactly what you just described. that was a RED-HOT card. >>

Those Score packs wouldnt be very easy to reseal. I dont see that happening. 15 yrs is a long time ago. I forget where I got cards of mine all the time. Are you sure you didnt buy it from a dealer who claimed he had just pulled it out of a pack?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

if it happened during the Cowboys glory days in the early 90's, then it is not a stretch to assume exactly what you just described. that was a RED-HOT card. >>

Those Score packs wouldnt be very easy to reseal. I dont see that happening. 15 yrs is a long time ago. I forget where I got cards of mine all the time. Are you sure you didnt buy it from a dealer who claimed he had just pulled it out of a pack? >>

i also agree that those Score packs would be difficult to properly reseal w/o someone being able to identify such an action, however, there also wasn't nearly as much concern over the issue 15 years ago, and nothing is impossible.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    1) 89 Score packs are impossible to reseal. Not to mention they were easily searchable so there is no reason to reseal them.
    2) The Aikman on the right is 100% counterfeit.
    3) No one would go through the trouble of resealing a 1989 Score pack in order to place a fake Aikman in it.

I'm pretty sure your memory is off on this jsw.
  • Options
    Here are the backs of the cards they apear identical minus some slight fadeing.. I am possitive I got both Aikman's out of packs. I have no reason to lie about this.
  • Options
    I just want to make this clear. In no way am I acuseing BBCE of anything. I am positive the card I pulled from their pack is authentic. The card I have questions about is the other one I pulled when I was a kid.
  • Options
    the backs have many differences...
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    No one is accusing you of lying but I think it's very likely that you are not correctly remembering where you got the counterfeit Aikman. I could see someone placing a fake Aikman in a factory set, but there's no way they put one into a pack and resealed it without completely mangling the thin plastic, and even if they could there's no motivation to do something like that. You can choose to believe what you want but the Aikman on the right of the scan of the fronts (and left on the backs) is a well known counterfeit and not some rare variation that only you have pulled from a pack.

Edit- or maybe someone pulled the old okey-doke on you in the 90s and switched their fake Aikman for your pack-pulled one while you weren't looking.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Edit- or maybe someone pulled the old okey-doke on you in the 90s and switched their fake Aikman for your pack-pulled one while you weren't looking. >>

This is a deffinete possibility. I had some cards stolen a few years back by some old roomates. Maybe they also switched the card. That gives me a very unsettleing feeling knowing I may have others that this has happened to. image Is there a site that has common counterfiet cards and what to look for?
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the backs have many differences... >>

Yep, I see a few too. Not just font, but spacing too. There is a space between "Cowboys" and "#1" on the right card and there is another space after "Troy, " on the left card.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Also, the font on "270" is very different.

Ya know, if nothing else, this is good practice for spotting details.

.......silver linings......
  • Options
    I agree now 100% that the older card is fake. This is one of the best fakes I have seen before. I took it out of the case and i flexed the card slightly. I then flexed one of the commons I pulled from the group break. The Aikman I pulled years ago is not nearly as thick and feels to weigh less. Does anyone have a link to a digital scale I can purchase that I could weigh this card. All of my food scales at home do not respond to something as light as a single card. This might sound crazy but I am very concerned about many of the other cards in my collection as well. If I didn't pull the new troy I would never have known. It really concerns me how I obtained this card. Thanks for everyones help in getting to the bottom of this.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Nice catch. Hope you never pull a counterfeit Favre in a pack.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the backs have many differences... >>

I agree..."QB", "DALLAS COWBOYS", "SCORE" and the number "270" are all different to name a few.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    " maybe someone pulled the old okey-doke on you"

...before I fall for the okey-doke I let the pistol smoke
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Edit- or maybe someone pulled the old okey-doke on you in the 90s and switched their fake Aikman for your pack-pulled one while you weren't looking. >>

This is a deffinete possibility. I had some cards stolen a few years back by some old roomates. Maybe they also switched the card. That gives me a very unsettleing feeling knowing I may have others that this has happened to. image Is there a site that has common counterfiet cards and what to look for? >>

Have you spoken to your old roomates? I would make sure they did not switch out any other expensive late 80's/early 90's rookies. Check all of your Kevin Mass and Jerome Walton.