Home Precious Metals

Effect of pm decline on coin market - POLL

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anyone asking the big question. Coin values have had a nice run up the last few years as pm prices have increased. Will the recent decline hurt coin prices?

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    For coins that are priced based on their pm value of course it will.

• fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    For those who would sell bullion to stretch for an expensive rare
    coin, which i often see discussed here, yes it will.
  • A lot of the modern stuff will suffer, most definitely.
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Over the years it seems that interest in and the buying of coins seems to parallel the precious metal prices. That is, as gold and silver go up in price, coin collecting increases and thus the price of many coins goes up.

However, several factors are now at play that may make such historical trends not predictive anymore.

1. Huge numbers of coin collectors have joined the ranks, particularly due to the state quarter program. A large demand may mitigate against prices dropping much due to the always limited supply of coins, particulalry legacy coins.

2. Internet buying and selling make the market more widespread and accessible to many people, and fluctuations in price may be a bit more protected by this large market.

3. We have a strong upper echeleon market and it seems to be unaffected by bullion prices, mostly.

Also, we do not know what the current blip in pm prices means in the medium or long-term and it may have essentially little or no impact on the current bull market for coins.
    Dr. Pete
  • Generic gold prices in low-MS grades are taking hits too.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I answered Yes. I hope prices come down a bit...even more than a bit would be fine with me.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For coins that are priced based on their pm value of course it will. >>

Absolutely.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of the modern stuff will suffer, most definitely. >>

A lot of precious metals profits have been going into moderns
    so they will be hurt. So too will most of the top end of the mar-
    ket.

The damage is unlikely to be severe unless the losses continue
    since this bull market was not founded on precious metals mon-
    ey like the '79 bull market.
    Tempus fugit.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It won't hurt me the buyer of bullion silver.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, the PM prices have little to do with old copper and for truely collectible coins.

If you equate modern conditional bullion rarities based upon mintages or whatever slab its housed in, then yes.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Generally speaking, the PM prices have little to do with old copper and for truely collectible coins.

True, but sometimes it seems like the rising tide lifts all boats (or in this case the ebbing tide lowers them). And while I hesitate to generalize "the coin market", it does seem like even classic coins are influenced by pm prices. The possible exception are the keys, which seem to be in demand in all markets.