Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll - Which 1823/2 Bust Dime do you like better ... Plus a B&M story

Well, I went out Bust Silver coin hunting yesterday and stopped at 3 B&M's.

The first place I stopped at is a place I usually go to for supplies since he prices them REALLY low. I haven't been in his shop in probably a year
so I was hoping that he would have some fresh stuff in. I asked almost immediately if he had an Bust Silver, and he almost laughed saying that
he really didn't have anything. He did have three Bust Dimes, two were low grade and damaged, while the other one (one of the coins pitured)
was a perfect crusty bustie at a very fair price. I bought it and five minutes later I left.

The second place I went to was recommended by B&M dealer #1 as have A LOT, no A TON, of raw Bust Silver. It was a place wasn't that aware of,
but it also wasn't that far away. I made the hike over there with 15 minutes to spare before they closed. I asked the man behind the counter if he
had an Bust Silver, and just like dealer #1, almost laughed, saying that he did not have a single Bust Silver coin of any denomination. Needless to
say I was shocked and dsappointed image

The third place I went to closed an hour after the first two dealers, so I knew time wouldn't be a problem. I walked in and inquired about any Bust
Silver coins. The guy behind the counter, whom I'm good friends with, just looked at me and politely said that he did not have any Bust Silver coins
except for a couple damaged dimes. This dealer doesn't always have the best stuff, but he prices his coins real well and that's why I keep coming back.


SO, getting to the poll. I now have TWO 1823/2 Bust Dimes, both the same variety (JR-1, R3), in relatively the same grade. I won't tell you which coin
I bought yesterday in order to avoid bias. Both coins are undamaged and without hairlines from a cleaning (although coin #1 looks to have striations
that could say otherwise). I want to know which coin you like better, as they each slightly different than each other as terms of wear patterns and color.
I'm also debating whether or not to sell the least popular/appealing coin, and buy a date I do need. Or else I can just hoard this variety!!!

Coin #1. I couldn't get the image (obv. or rev.) to focus real well, but hopefully well enough to get an honest opinion. On the reverse the is a small sliver
of cardboard on the rim at 2 o'clock. Also on the reverse is a small indentation under UNUM in the scoll to the point between the eagles neck and wing.
I do like this coin because the dentils show much crisper, both obv. and rev., than on coin #2. The surfaces are also quite crusty and adds appeal in my mind.
imageimage

Coin #2. For some reason these images came out much crisper than that of coin #1, so please don't vote according to the image quality. There is one
light scratch (or circ. mark) on the reverse near 12 o'clock. This is the only imperfection I have noticed with this coin, and I can't complain about it.
I really like this coin because the wear pattern is very even both obverse and reverse, which adds some appeal in my mind. The color is also slightly lighter
than that of #1, but it is also very even which helps to see details on the coin more clearly.
imageimage

Comments

  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    +2
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Can't beat the 1823/2 over-date!

    To bad they are not quarters...image

    I voted for #2 as I like the central design to show more than I like full dentils. Of course the best would be to have both items well defined.

    Depending on what your cost is for each coin, I might keep one or the other or both. I would also continue to look for an example that shows good detail in both the central design and dentils. Once that was found I would most likely sell both of the examples shown here.

    QN

    Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can do better than either coin with more searching. I dislike the wear pattern and gouge on coin #1 and the lack of crust/color on coin #2. I know nice dimes are very difficult to find
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭
    Thanks for the responses guys. I agree that I would like to have a nicer example than these two, but I've found that this date is tough to find in mid-grade circ.

    Both coins cost about $40, so I thought it was a fair deal for each.
    I think I will look for an upgrade, and when/if I find one, I may dump these two; although I might keep these two since I haven't located a single example of this
    variety in either of two prominent Bust Coin Dealers' inventories. (Maybe it's a tougher coin than people realize!)

    As for the coins. I just bought coin #1 not realizing that I already had another in almost the same grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file