Home Precious Metals
Options

PM's and the coin market

500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
Will the free fall of the precious metals markets push the coin market downward?
Finem Respice

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will the free fall of the precious metals markets push the coin market downward? >>

Only if you/we let it.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    Greg, IMHO and a BA in Economics from UT Austin way back in 1969.... The US and worldwide recession is truly starting to take its toll. You have had the US $ go down for the last 7 years, Gold & Oil reached all time highs in the last several months in anticipation of roaring inflation. Here in the USA, the thought of rapid inflation seems to be over looked as commodity prices go into the tank. We are feeling the effects of the worst housing market in many years, DJI Average keeps slipping and unemployment rising. All that has to happen is for the public to stop "investing" in rare coins and the coin dealers will be on their knees. No disrespect intended. Let the prices of rare coins become stagnant or decline for a few months and we may have a industry wide decline like the current housing market. If the decline in numismatics does prevail, use the opportunity to secure truly rare coins that will appreciate after the downturn. The average John Doe has probably already turned away from buying coins and is probably having to sell their prized coins to keep paying for their house, car, gas, education, health care......
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Watch future auction results carefully.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will the free fall of the precious metals markets push the coin market downward? >>

Only the junk
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    I can only hope so...
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was holding the market up in the first place? The answer may provide an insight into what will happen next.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    The PM market and collectible coin market are separate and PM drops or rises only have a great effect on bullion coins.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If recent history is a guide, the average schlock will fall with it, but the demand for quality and eye appeal seems more endless than ever.
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ziggy
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If recent history is a guide, the average schlock will fall with it, but the demand for quality and eye appeal seems more endless than ever. >>

eventually even the high end eye appealing coins go through cycles.
    and the larger the price for the eye appeal premium.. the harder it will
    fall.

of course it will be the first to recover though in an up cycle.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Three or four years ago, precious metals weren't doing much, but the coin market was still going stronger than ever.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the Mint to reprice its coins
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Phrased another way: Is the coin market in a bubble that is about to "pop"?
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The coin market is complex. At any given time, there are series that

may be out of favor and thus at reasonable prices. Then we have the

Super rarities that seem to have a life all their own. These coins do

not seem to have any rational pricing. Some of them increasing 200-300%

in just 1 -2 years. We have the mid priced coins 2000 - 10,000 dollars and then

we have the low cost collectible ledge. Finally ,we have the dredges of the market

place ,including doctored coins, over graded coins, damaged coins and the bleached

and dipped lifeless as a rock coins.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage