Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1915 Cracker: PSA vs. SGC or GAI

Hey Everyone,

I've been working on an all-PSA 3 1915 Cracker Jack set since Jan, but I'm having a helluva time locating them in the desired grade. I have, however, found a butt-load of SGC 40 and GAI 3 cards available, although my previous crossover luck has been dismal. Likewise, my Raw pick-ups have also fallen short. I'm currently sitting on five (5) of these CJ cards that came back at a 2 or 2.5 (Not happy). In any case, I'm curious to know why so many submitters gravitate towards SGC or some other PSA competitor, for this particular set -- at least with regards to the low-grade CJ cards? I'd love a little insight, my friends. Thanks in advance!!

Best regards,

JK
Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I would say SGC is fine for this set, but I would not buy GAI based on past stories of them.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    you might try offering the 1915's that came back lower for sale here as well. My experience has been decent both with raw and SGC to PSA
  • Options
    That's not a bad idea, RipublicaninMass, and if I understand you correctly, I'll have more luck with some raw submissions and SGC crossovers, but I should avoid GAI? That's been quite a theme on this message board. Thanks again!!

Regards,

JK

• Options
    Higher grade GAi is always suspect, and I HATE getting cards returned trimmed. I would spend a bit more and buy graded already, or raw for short mone from good sellers

Ted

edited also you might want to consider a range of grades (I know I know you could be one of those ob-com's) PSA 3-4 or consider 2's with no creases in the players face, good eye appeal..etc. I dont have my few cj's scanend in as of yet, but here is a link to mmy t205 set I am trying in PSA 1-4...again TRYING to get cards without MAJOR creases across the players face. Once I took them all out again, sorted them scanned them and scrolled through in the registry I was impressed YAY

Ted's old gold...not the cigarette
  • Options
    Hey Ted,

Those t205's look beautiful!! I was actually torn between the t205's, 1915 CJ's or '34 Goudey's, and I went for the two latter instead. As for broadening my horizons with acceptable PSA 2's though 4's, that would be a tough sell for me. I like my sets as I liked my Army boots: uniform and dress-right-dress...lol. Besides, for a guy like who loves the hunt, seeking only PSA 3's would be one helluva safari, wouldn't it? I will consult a higher authority and make my decision in short order image GAI be damned!!!

Regards,

Jared

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    i frequently buy SGC CJs (and E90-1's) and crack them out and send to PSA..the same grade in SGC is 90% of the time lower than a PSA card...there are just less collectors of SGC and less of a demand...

i trust that an SGC is authentic an unaltered, a GAI on the other hand--anything is possible...
  • Options
    careful because 90% of all PSA mk,oc, and st qualifiers end up in a SGC holder, make sure you get a scan of the back.

I like my sets as I liked my Army boots: uniform and dress-right-dress...lol

funny I like my Coffee like my women ..Black and STRONG
  • Options
    I have personally never had a problem with GAI although it has always been in "vogue" to bash them, especially on these boards.image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've crossed about 40-50 CJ's from SGC to PSA, and for the most part they went straight over. All cracked and submitted. A few went up a bit, a few down, but overall I was pretty surprised by the consistancy between each company.
    The only caveat is watch the centering, they do grade that differently

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>I have personally never had a problem with GAI although it has always been in "vogue" to bash them, especially on these boards.image >>

well i have and those "crackouts" i gave to my little cousins ,cause their to young to care about a trimmed card...

wasted more money cracking GAI than anything....its not "en vogue" its my true experiences....
  • Options

<< <i>

well i have and those "crackouts" i gave to my little cousins ,cause their to young to care about a trimmed card...

wasted more money cracking GAI than anything....its not "en vogue" its my true experiences.... >>

Ever crackout GEM cards? I also had a diffrent series BVG crackout which was 100% sheet cut/evidtrim

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Rip, no i wouldnt even think about buying a GEM to crack it out..same with a BVG..just dont trust em.....
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have personally never had a problem with GAI although it has always been in "vogue" to bash them, especially on these boards

I have.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I consider myself to be amongst the minority and will continue to roll the dice. I bet some of you own cards that I have broke out of GAI holders and had crossed over to PSA, because I have sold a plenty of them. image
  • Options
    Good luck.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    And by the way it wasn't 'always in vogue' to bash them here.

That started around the time they claimed to give up their space to
    a church when the fact of the matter was they were being evicted for non payment
    of rent. Or was it when they bumped up certain dealers entire inventory?

Or maybe it was when many of us here tried to cross (cracked) cards and they came back evid of trimming?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>And by the way it wasn't 'always in vogue' to bash them here.

That started around the time they claimed to give up their space to
    a church when the fact of the matter was they were being evicted for non payment
    of rent. Or was it when they bumped up certain dealers entire inventory?

Or maybe it was when many of us here tried to cross (cracked) cards and they came back evid of trimming?

image >>

well said steve......GAI did their own damage, they didnt need any of us.....

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve,
    You could have kept going with all of the serious "lacks" of judgment by GAI. My most bizarre problem with them is they started saying that Mike Baker will personally look at the cards--- Has anyone seen the crap in their new flip holders. I actually believe they are still in business just to piss me off. If anyone cracks out high dollar cards from GAI they are definately gambling, and the stakes are high. I just wish there was some serious policing in the vintage industry, because the things that GAI have done and also been accused of are not only unethical but in some cases illegal. I could keep writing and never stop. I sent them a card and and they graded it "accurately, believe it or not" and they lost it for 2 months when they were moving about 2 years ago. Their most recent move was quite the fiasco also.

Thanks,
    Mickey71
  • Options
    Hey Fellas,

I really appreciate the continued back and forth on this subject, and it doesn't appear that I'll have any further use for GAI from this point on. I'm already sitting on two previously GAI 3-slabbed 1915 CJs that were both returned from PSA as "miscut." I could probably still manage to squeeze out a few bucks for the cards on Ebay or some similar format, but I'll need to disclose their condition because I wouldn't want another collector to have the same problem I did. From what some of you have posted, it appears that SGC is on par with its competitor, PSA, which gives me a little hope because it's easier to find CJs in SGC 40 than PSA 3. Thanks again, Guys!!

Regards,

Jared