Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Coin Crackout ?

What is the best way to crack a coin out of a capsule without damaging the coin ? Appreciate Help !

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I use a vise with a rag covering the slab, but here's another way LINK.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use diagonal cutters on the long edge of the holder, at the point where the donut is closest to the edge. Snip it through there, and the slab will split in half across the face. I have never even had a coin fall out. The donut holds the two halves together, and you just gently remove the coin.

That said, be sure to examine your motives carefully. I would not, in this climate, crack out a coin in hopes of a higher grade. PCGS is on a crusade against AT or AC coins, and if a coin is "too nice", it's likely that they will err on the conservative side and send it back "Questionable Color."

That said, I have been using the "regrade" service of late, and I have actually had a few get upgraded. From my understanding, when a coin is submitted for regrade, the process is:
    1- evaluate the coin in holder as to whether it will make at least the grade on the holder.
    2- catalogue it so that it can be compared after grading and crack it out.
    3- send it raw into the grading room for the whole process
    4- compare final new grade to the old grade to be sure that the end result is not a downgrade
    5- if the new grade is higher, then that is the grade. Equal to or lower will default to the old grade.

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this. It seems like a fair process, but it's only what I have learned talking to customer service, and I'm often confused easily.

-Matt
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this. It seems like a fair process, but it's only what I have learned talking to customer service, and I'm often confused easily. >>

Dan
  • Hi Matt,
    thanks very much for your great input. I di exactly that on the crackout and it worked beautifully. W'ell see on the regrade ! Take good care and thanks again,
    Ed
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Dunk, don't throw away the little blue label keep it. When you get several saved, send them in to PCGS so they can correct the pop report.
    The pops will never be right on, but every little bit helps. image
    Dan
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, they will pay you 50 cents each for them... always nice to have a financial incentive.

• << <i>Personally, I use a vise with a rag covering the slab, >>

This is my way also
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets