Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I read that Dr. Kagin is updating his "Private Gold Coins" book, but why is it taking so l

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was taking a read through the latest issue of Esylum, and Dr. Kagin wrote the following,

"For the last two years I, with the particular help from my associate David McCarthy, who not only is a top numismatic researcher and trader, but is also an excellent coin photographer, have been traveling around the country to photograph all the important pioneer gold collections so I can have a comprehensive photographic library and then pick the best specimens for the color plate coins for the 2nd edition of my book tentatively to be published by Whitman in 2010."

I have the the first edition of Dr. Kagin's book, and it is one of my favorities. I believe the book was derived from Dr. Kagin's thesis work to obtain his Ph.D. in Numismatics. My copy even has personal notations in it from David McCarthy, which makes my copy unique and extra special. Some day I would like for the Doctor himself to sign the copy.

I see from the quote above that the book is not due out until 2010. Does anyone know why it is taking so long? In the next 2 years, QDB will pump out at least 75 books for Whitman, so I am not sure why the Pioneer Gold book is taking so long. I doubt that the Whitman corporate conglomerate is getting soft and allowing an author to dawdle, so I was curious why there is such a long lead time. Does anyone know?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I'd suggest one or both of these reasons:

1) He's pretty busy running his business and doesn't have a lot of spare time.

2) He's waiting for the first edition to sell out (finally!) so the book sellers won't be mad at him for sticking them with unsold inventory when the second edition is published.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Perhaps the biggest hurdle is trying to figure out the good, the bad, and the ugly about the subject of Pioneer and Territorial U.S. gold issues.

There's a great deal of re-examination that needs to take place in order to ascertain validity from the 19th century.

There will also be color pictures included from what I hear. That can take some doing as there is a lot in the Smithsonian which hasn't ever been electronically imaged.

Maybe "regulated" can provide a update.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Because it tweaks your jaw?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Like anything, the smaller things in life take time. image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    This is a long term project that logically takes a lot of time. There are many people troughout the country who own high quality territioral gold, and photographing the best is, as said a long task.

Besides that new discoveries on historical aspects of the coinage are made yearly. Since the 1st edition came out (which I only recently got, autographed by Dr. kagin upon my visit to their office in Tiburon, CA) many historical discoveries has been made. These all need to be corrected, proofreading has to be done and so much more which goes together with updating a book.

Dennis
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed this thread.

The new version of the book is going to be considerably changed - since 1981, a huge number of new discoveries have been made, and many previously unknown coins have come to light. Don has been working very hard at incorporating all of this into the next edition. We have also photographed over 5,000 coins, and will likely re-photograph quite a few of the pieces that will become plate coins.

Basically, the timeline on this project is due to the fact that Don really wants to do the second edition justice - add in running a business and having a life in the real world, and it just isn't possible to do a great job in a year or two.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we any closer now that it IS 2010?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    It appears David knew you'd be asking that soon...

....he hasn't been on here in two and a half months

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file