Home Stamps Forum
Options

Stamp Collecting Software

I inherited a collection of over 50,000 stamps and looking for a good software program to help identify and determine value.

There are several on Ebay, but no idea if they are any good.

Thanks in Advance
CSM Gary J Coker
United States Army Retired
1974-2007 WIA

Comments

• Options
    Gary - Isn't going to be a search that will meet with success. Generally, in a collection of 50,000 DIFFERENT stamps, about 100 will have real value over $200. About 45,000 will have no commercial value. If you want to know what the collection is worth, take it to a dealer and ask what he will pay (the only really meaningful number). If you don't trust the dealer, take it to another dealer, or a third.

When I value a collection, I only value the stamps that are individually worth $200 or more (and I know the couple thousand stamps that fall into that category), the rest I value by the bulk. I wouldn't know the difference in value between a $75 and a 10 cent stamp - it is meaningless because of the cost in handling. Getting to the point to learn which stamps have value took me more years than I care to think about - fulltime.

Collections that have value are collections that people spent money building (and basically those collections never end up at 50,000 stamps).

Take a look at my article: here
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Thanks Richard, Great article as well.

I laughed as you described my situation to a tee. Including the Great Great Grandfather.

I do plan to put them on Ebay, hence my need to help figure out what I have and some kind of ballpark value. At least for the Pearls I find. Most I will let go in groups of 100 - 200 for bargain basement prices.

There are a large number of first day issues and covers. Most span the 20's - 60's. I don't think anything was added after that. But many hands went through them and any logical sorting or catalogs have been mixed up.

Theres a $49 program on Ebay I might get, those monstrously thick and expensive books you guys use are next.

Your article could easily address my passion as well. Most coins I have are great to look at, but only 10% carry the value to make it a good investment.

Thanks again, I am sure to have a thousand questions as I take my crash course in stamps. As beautiful as these stamps are, my mirror like Silver Eagles still hypnotize me.

Gary
    CSM Gary J Coker
    1974-2007 WIA
  • Options
    Gary - Glad you took my post in the spirit intended. I hate writing that kind of post ...

Anyhow, you can stare at that pile of stamps, with any program you may try, or even a good catalog, and still not have a clue what is worth money and what isn't.

I suggest selling as ONE lot on ebay with tons of pictures. It will likely bring MORE than it is worth because hope springs enternal with collectors who love buying "bargains" to play with - "play" value of money, etc. Let some collector have fun sorting the mess and pay you for the entertainment.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Not a problem, more people should speak plain language.

It has me thinking how to approach my situation. I am going to at least try and sort some of them. As long as it is fun, after that it's a duffle bag and ebay image

Thanks again Richard
    CSM Gary J Coker
    1974-2007 WIA
  • Options
    Gary - OK - if you are determined. I suggest that you buy a copy of Scott's 2008 Classic Sepcialized catalog 1840-1940. That one catalog has all the world stamps to 1940 and there is very little after that date that is worth messing with (except Germany issued 1949-1954).
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com