Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps Del Rice PSA 8.5

I bought this card at the National last week. It was graded on-site and I bought it from the dealer as he opened the box from PSA. This Rice card is equal in toughness to the #572 Billy Pierce AS card. Both cards are the toughest, non-variation, cards in the 1959 Topps set. The Rice card is never centered. Any PSA 8's that I have seen all are just within tolerance for a straight 8. This Rice card is perfect. Not only is the front centered, but the back is equally centered and sharp. I don't think a better Rice card could exist. The owner of the only PSA 9 Rice card said that this Rice looked better than his 9. He was with me when I bought this gem. I am happy to add it to my registry set!!

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
set registry id Don Johnson Collection
ebay id truecollector14

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Like everything else you share with us, that is a real beauty.

The Braves had two good Catchers named Del then. I'd bet that's never happened before or since image
  • Options
    why is that not a 9???
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    That is one great looking card. Do you mind sharing what you paid for the card?
  • Options
    Maybe PSA will make you the focus of their next Half-Point Grading and What it Means to Me article...

Or, your card can be in the next PSA ad:

Average PSA NM-MT 8 Price Realized......................................................= $ 40
    PSA Record NM-MT + 8.5 Price Realized (The National August 2008) = $Your Cost Here$

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Don!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Great card Don! That looks a heckuva lot more like a 9 than it does an 8.

I'd like to pick up a handful of those in PSA 8 at the $40 price. Average price on last five PSA 8s sold - $855.46--and that is historically low.

Plug again for vintagecardprices.com--invaluable resource. image
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    GREAT CARD DON.!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, everyone!! I do think it should be a 9.

LOL.....Bob, you are right....the average sale of $855 for an 8 is historically low. BMW has a Rice PSA 8 on ebay right now for a BIN of $2000.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Super nice card. And perhaps worthy some day of a half point bump.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought this card at the National last week. It was graded on-site and I bought it from the dealer as he opened the box from PSA. This Rice card is equal in toughness to the #572 Billy Pierce AS card. Both cards are the toughest, non-variation, cards in the 1959 Topps set. The Rice card is never centered. Any PSA 8's that I have seen all are just within tolerance for a straight 8. This Rice card is perfect. Not only is the front centered, but the back is equally centered and sharp. I don't think a better Rice card could exist. The owner of the only PSA 9 Rice card said that this Rice looked better than his 9. He was with me when I bought this gem. I am happy to add it to my registry set!!

image >>

As a non-collector of the set, I had heard that the Pierce AS was tough. That's a high # and the last card in the set though. After a quick glance at the pop report I noticed that there's a number of other cards in the 1st series in addition to the Rice that are low pops. Is it strictly a centering issue with these cards ? One would think that the 1st series cards would be more plentiful.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    First series cards are tougher overall. Centering is the main problem with the Rice card, but also with the Hunter, Fitzgerald and some other cards as well. Some have print problems like the Philley card. It is a challenging series and a challenging set for sure.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Nice card indeed and clearly legit - not like the undersized, batwinged PSA 8 example I recall a high-profile registery collector buying for slightly under a grand about 8-12 months ago.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card Don. There's nothing better than finding a condition sensitive low pop common in high grade. That card is truly a survivor and probably better than 90% of the examples that were pulled directly from the pack 50 years ago. Enjoy the card!
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First series cards are tougher overall. Centering is the main problem with the Rice card, but also with the Hunter, Fitzgerald and some other cards as well. Some have print problems like the Philley card. It is a challenging series and a challenging set for sure. >>

Don the one I am struggling with in that first seies is Paul Giel.

Tony
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Hope you get a nice price on the PSA 8 Rice you are selling!!
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Don,

I would consider an average Rice psa 8 to be worth $1200 and an average 8.5 to be wprth $1,800. Yours sounds as if it is a $2,500 card.

Would you say how much you paid for it? jdc122@aol.com if you want to tell me privately.

Jim
  • Options
    Sweet card Don! Congrats!
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Don, that is a gorgeous card! Why do you suppose it's not MINT? The red spot in the left side yellow border? I was picking up some graded '67s from Nick Miggliaccio while you were hard at work on a deal. Did you get this from Nick?
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First series cards are tougher overall. Centering is the main problem with the Rice card, but also with the Hunter, Fitzgerald and some other cards as well. Some have print problems like the Philley card. It is a challenging series and a challenging set for sure. >>

I guess every set has those anomalies. Personally, I get much more satisfaction in getting a well centered low pop for my set than a big star. There will be many opportunities to grab that star if you have the dough.

I took a look at your set on the registry. (Love the scans and comments). Simply awe-inspiring. Hard to believe it's only at # 3. Any chance of unseating # 2 or # 1 ? Good luck with any upgrades to your set.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Why do you suppose it's not MINT? The red spot in the left side yellow border? >>

That's the only thing I can see that's even close to being a flaw.
  • Options
    First of all, I want to thank all of you for your great comments and feedback. It is much appreciated. I can tell that we all really appreciate and enjoy our collections.

Tony.....the Giel card is a fairly tough card too. I think I was down to less than needing 20 or so cards before I landed mine as well. It is a card not mentioned much as a tougher one but it sure seems to be. Good luck in your search.

Jim.....I don't mind sharing with you at all what I paid for the card. You actually hit the nail on the head. I did pay $2500 for it. I felt that that price was a little high but in the end, I decided that I really wanted the card. My feelings are that a Del Rice PSA 8 should be in the range of $1200-$1500. I do know for a fact that the only Del Rice PSA 9 last sold for $4500.

Keith.....yes, I did buy the card from Nick Migliaccio. He is one of the best dealers in the country for high grade and tough material. I would strongly recommend him to anyone. I hope that you did well on your '67's.

mrpeanut39......thanks for the very nice words. I do enjoy adding scans and comments to my set. I hope to add more very soon as time permits. The 1959 Topps Master Set is my pride and joy. I am #3 behind Don Spence and Steve Park. I doubt that I will ever catch them but that is ok. I just enjoy collecting the set and collecting sweet cards for my set. Don Spence has so many 9's and some 10's and that is what gives his set such a high rating. Steve Park is a good collecting friend of mine and he focuses solely on 1959's. I do branch out and collect other sets. For example, I am one card away from having my 1960 Topps set complete in all 8's and 9's. I will never have the breadth of a collection like Jim but I do enjoy what I collect. Jim is in a league by himself with his extensive and very impressive collection.

One last comment on my 1959 Topps Master Set though......Even though Spence and Park have a higher rating than I do for the set, my set is the only set that is 100% PSA 8's and PSA 9's for all the cards which includes all the Spahn variations and all the No Trade/No Option variation cards. Both Spence and Park still have PSA 7's in their set on some of the key cards and variation cards. I am very proud of this accomplishment.

Again, thanks to everyone for your comments!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Congrats again Don--great buy!
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Don, you were deep in negotiations while I was at his table. I assumed you were getting something very special. And indeed, Nick is first class and he has some tremendous material for PSA set builders. I also find his prices to be reasonable considering the quality of his cards. I picked up a nice handful of PSA 9 '67s from him and I was thrilled with the price and the quality.
  • Options

<< <i>I am very proud of this accomplishment. >>

Indeed you should be Don! Your 59 set is the best in my book. I know your passion for 59s and you'll outlast 'em in due time.

You have picked up a truly rare gem. Not only is it a beautiful card, but like the dude said, it looks very legit. I believe you said it came from a raw lot that Nick picked up. Man, I wish I could get that lucky.

BTW, I think you should crack & resub for that 9. image

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Hi Don!

Can you tell us (me) how to get ahold of Nick? I need about 80 raw cards for a 7.25-range set. Thanks...and, yes...I too covet your set, your photos and your write ups.

Nick M
  • Options
    Hi Nick...

Email me at brett8@cox.net and I can give you his contact information.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14