Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think a Lincon Cent will ever sell for 7 figures? If so, which one and when?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have no clue, but it would not suprise me to see it happen in coming years (decades). If it does happen, I would think the 1958 DDO may be a good candidate.

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    One of the 1943-S Coppers might do it.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I predict this one In the year 2058.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Yes,

When?

Just as soon as you transfer the money via paypal. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    When it costs $50,000 to buy a gallon of milk.
  • Options
    The 1919 1c PCGS MS69RD.

Probably will be a while yet. Maybe 10 or 20 years?
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    If one does sell for a million plus, I would bet it would be one of Stewart's.

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    43-D copper maybe? It is unique.
  • Options

It's 10-15 years out but will, of course, happen eventually.

Stewart Blay has several possibilities and the '43 coppers could get there within 15 years.

By the way, how many Lincoln cents have gone for 6 figures?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a unique Lincoln cent struck in gold on a $2 1/2 quarter eagle planchet. That may hit 7 figures some day.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    sure...but most of those on the left will be "0."
  • Options
    I would think that the Blay 1919 MS 69 Red would have a great chance at this one day. Maybe not for awhile, but I could see this coin bringing moon money.

It is a killer coin too.
    Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    there's really no reason why one or more won't

they will be the top of the cream

off hand i'd throw out the 43 coppers,the top 09 vdb matty,that 42 aluminum and yup...that 1919 ms69
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>43-D copper maybe? It is unique. >>

My thought as well.

The '84 and '88 coppers will be up there with it in time.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would think that the Blay 1919 MS 69 Red would have a great chance at this one day. Maybe not for awhile, but I could see this coin bringing moon money.

It is a killer coin too. >>

I hope Stewart doesn't take this wrong, but quite frankly a relatively common coin that's only a half a grade higher than many others underneath it should NEVER sell for a million bucks.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

MPL's...............................the first one I ever held in my hand was one I bought raw on ebay (I got lucky) since then I have purchased (4) more,
    they are like "crack' to Lincoln fans.

I'll bet most people have never seen one in person, If you have not you should, They are amazing coins.

So in the future my guess is that once the public discovers those MPL beauties, the sky is the limit as there are not enough to go around now, and not cheap either, but worth every penny!
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359

<< <i>There is a unique Lincoln cent struck in gold on a $2 1/2 quarter eagle planchet. That may hit 7 figures some day. >>

I'd love to see that coin
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any Lincoln cent will ever sell for a million dollars.Never is my guess.
    Now if there is such a thing as 1909 SVDB struck on a gold planchet,maybe.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    It will never happen in our lifetime..

andf I'm referring to the current middle aged baby boomers..

Kids spend your money wisely down the road- there will be no SSI for you- I intend on getting every PENNY I can.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There is a unique Lincoln cent struck in gold on a $2 1/2 quarter eagle planchet. That may hit 7 figures some day. >>

I'd love to see that coin >>

I second that!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Doubt it in my lifetime. Inflation nasty enough to cause that would destroy the coin market alongside it. Best guesses for candidates are the 1943-dated coppers, 1944-dated steelies, and the 1964 SMS.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547
    Well, a good starting point would be to see which Lincoln cent sold for the most so far and that would be the recent sale of the 1944 s NGC 66 steel cent at $370k (with the juice added). The second would be the 1943 d copper at a little over $200k.

So if a Lincoln ever sales for over $1 million, it will probably be the 1944 s Steel and not the 1943 d copper. At least that is my guess since these are the only Lincoln Cents that have broke $200k level as far as I know.

A Lincoln cent has already sold for over 1/3 of a million dollars and at the rate of dollar devaluation, it probably won't be long before that $370k is $1 million.

I don't see any other Lincoln even coming close to the league of these two coins.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    7 figures!

Unlikely, but then never say Never! image
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Has any small cent sold for over a million ?image
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

That'd be my guess too. That thing is cool!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    1958 DDO
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1958 DDO

This one really bothers me in that there are only 2 known.Where are the rest of them?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be whatever the finest known 1943 copper is. Frankly, I would expect this one instead of the branch mints. The Philadelphia issue just has had more allure and promotion to it.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would one of the yet uncertified mythical coins. If a genuine 1917 MPL or a 1910 VDB surfaces... It's too bad that the 12 prototype 1909 were all destroyed. If a wheat from 1959 is certified that would be another candidate.
  • Options
    <<1958 DDO

This one really bothers me in that there are only 2 known.Where are the rest of them? >>

Theres 3 known. Im thinking the Mint caught the doubling early on and removed it from use. Or, there is a large hoard somewhere and the owner doesnt even know they are there.

I could see this one topping a million if no more are discovered.
    Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • Options
    Dont bother with "mythical" examples. That sounds like politicians using words like "change" or "hope"!! You have to think of a coin some of the deep pocket collectors would want. I feel because of the recent 1943-S steel cent sale price, it would be the 1943-D copper cent. The other coins are not unique, and do not have the historical hoopla/prestige like the 1943 copper cents. I am pleased the 1944 steel cents are finally getting their due!!!image

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Sure. In about a hundred years.
  • Options

"Sure. In about a hundred years."

A $200K coin today coin will be worth $1,000,000 in 27 years at 6% annual appreciation.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised by the debate. '43D copper is the coin. And it will sell for more than a $million in 20 years.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1942 Aluminum PR66 cent? 1974 Aluminum cent?

Of course the 58DDO, RB lists 2 known, yeah, I'd say it has a shot.

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>43-D copper maybe? It is unique. >>

Give the man a kewpie doll! image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm surprised by the debate. '43D copper is the coin. And it will sell for more than a $million in 20 years. >>

Typo on my part. I meant 2 years, not 20. image
    Lance.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would think that the Blay 1919 MS 69 Red would have a great chance at this one day. Maybe not for awhile, but I could see this coin bringing moon money.

It is a killer coin too. >>

I hope Stewart doesn't take this wrong, but quite frankly a relatively common coin that's only a half a grade higher than many others underneath it should NEVER sell for a million bucks. >>

Much more gently put than my words might have been.

Now that Simpson has his 43-D copper, if another one showed up what might that piece be worth? Private treaty, or auction. I think much less, but much more than we would have imagined before he paid $1.7M for his exquisite piece. Remember, a million bucks ain't what it used to be.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Heh go figure. I was right. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file