Home Stamps Forum

Graf Zepplin

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
How does one find out how much these are worth? three stamps uncancelled no 50 center

thanks

Comments

• You don't provide much infomation to go on.

Here is a set that just sold on eBay for $22.95:

Nice looking stamps, but they are copies. This set is heavily faked, so you need to know what you are doing!

If you are buying, make sure that they have been certified. If you are selling, it would be worth your effort to have them certified.

For what its worth, the 2008 Scott Catalog is $1525 F-VF mint hinged, and $2600 for F-VF mint never hinged.
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> If you are buying, make sure that they have been certified. If you are selling, it would be worth your effort to have them certified.

I agree. I would never consider a Graf Zepplin without it having a PSE cert.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks
    What are markers of an authentic stamp?
  • It's rare to ever hear of an un-authenic stamp.

Something like the Zeps might be someone regumming it from a missed cancel. Soak it off the paper, re-gum it and sell it NH OG.

I'd buy a raw Zep from one of the reputable auction houses if the bidding was weak if I wanted one.
  • Other than the very rare engraved 65c forgery by Panelli, there are no forgeries of the zepp set (color reproductions and auction cut outs maybe). The Panelli forgery is worth more than the genuine.

So, not to worry.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Richard do you have a pic of the forgery? It would be interesting to see.
  • No, I'm afraid I don't. I has been maybe 10 years since I've seen one. In the flesh they look very obviously engraved rather than printed like the genuine. Panelli apparently did them for his employer (Oneglia) in the late 1930s. They don't show at auction because it is against the law to sell forgeries of valid US stamps and the dealers don't wish to incur the wrath of the powers that be.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com