Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1960 Fleer card # 80

How many consider these cards as part of the set. The registry requires both versions of this card for the complete set.

It is my understanding that most people don't consider these cards as part of the complete set because according to Fleer at the time they were never issued because of contract problems.

I would like to see these two cards not be required in the registry, but with the option to list these cards without them counting toward set rating and completion % (like how some varieties are listed in the PCGS registry).

What does everone think?

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Hmm -- I would consider them part of the set...

Perhaps as a "Bonus Point", like they are doing with the T206 Ty Cobb, Ty Cobb advertising reverse.

Essentially, it is such a scarce and hard variation that 95% of sets will never have this card. Nonetheless, we don't consider a T-206 set truly complete unless it has Wagner, PLank and Magie.

Same with 1933 Goudey and Lajoie. You can't deny it's not part of the set...it's just one of those cards that most people will never add to their sets.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • There are actually 3 different fronts that come with a #80 Pepper Martin back.
    Lefty Grove - Hard
    Eddie Collins - Harder
    Jo Tinker - Hardest
    This set has been listed as "complete at 79" cards forever in the hobby.
    The availabilty of all three cards combined are far scarcer than a T206 Wagner.
    Since most cards in the set are only a buck or two, and even if you were willing to spend thousands on one you wouldn't be able to find one, #80 was kindly left out of the "79 card" set.
    The set on PSA's registry should be complete at 79, with the ability to add all three #80's, and a significant "bonus" as you do.
    You will most often see these cards with a notch cut out of them runing up from the bottom, but there were some that found there way into packs. The ones that did are usually badly off-center.
    PSA will grade the ones with the notch cut out, but will refer to them as being "cancelled".
    The highest grade I recall seeing was an 8 with the cancellation designation.
    All price guides listings regarding the value of these cards are a complete waste of ink.
    My best recollection is that Steve Novella had a ?? Lefty Grove/Pepper Martin ?? PSA 8 a year or two ago... I think that the asking price was $8,000
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • On-line pop shows 2-Groves and 2-Collins being graded.
    One Collins was uncancelled 8 OC, the other is a cancelled 8.
    The cancelled 8 is here: http://www.kepplerenterprises.com/
    One Grove is an uncancelled 6 OC, and the other was either a 3 or 4 and I believe uncancelled.
    Bill Goodwin has had a few raw ones in the past, including a sheet with one on.
    Only Tinker I've heard of was in a Mastro auction in the last year or so.
  • I didn't know that there were three different variations of card # 80.
    Thanks for the info and link guys.

I think I would still like to see the 1960 fleer set list in the registry complete at 79 cards but having ALL THREE #80 cards listed as optional.

Maybe once more people who are collecting this set register their sets, this topic will be discussed again with input from them.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mike - I can too deny that the Nap Lajoie card was part of the 1933 Goudey set. The card was issued the following year, and was never available in any pack of 1933 Goudey cards. This differentiates it from every card that was pulled or corrected early in production.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • There are two variations of the Lajoie card. One with the copyright info on the front, one without.
    There also exists a Leo Durocher with the 106 card number in 1933.
    Waitill-

Come on now. The Leo Durocher 1933 Goudey 106 card is unique, to the best of my knowledge?! Owned by Halper, and recently flipped in one of the major auction houses (Mastro, I think). I certainly can be wrong, but I thought it was the only copy of that card ever known.

And it was handcut, too, I thought. At least the Lajoie was on a sheet! (Again, could be wrong)
    NickM-

Understand your point. It does make sense. However, the collecting public considers the Lajoie as part of the 1933 Goudey set. No reputable auction house will sell a set as "complete" unless it has the Lajoie. I understand your point, and it makes sense, but the collecting public has voted otherwise.

It's sort of like the academic debates regarding rookie cards of players from the turn of the 20th century. Sometimes the answers are not there, or the collecting public rules one thing when the obvious choice seems to be the other.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mike - I have no problem considering the Lajoie part of the set. I was simply playing devil's advocate.
    Now the really interesting questions come out with some of the modern cards: Be a Player has issued redemption cards for rookie cards of last year's NHL 1st round draft picks. The NHL will not permit cards to be released featuring the player until after he has played in a NHL game. People holding these cards therefore have to wait until he makes the NHL to submit the redemption cards - and if he doesn't make it within 5 years, they can continue to wait or use their redemption card for something of similar importance/scarcity [the rookies will be serial #ed to 100].
    Would a true set collector hold out after the 5 year mark hoping that a prospect might someday make the NHL and he could perhaps have the only card issued of the player by that set? Would a redemption card count as part of the set? Is this a signal that the end of the hobby is near? BTW, unlike most redemption cards, you have to send in $4.95 with these to get the eventual rookie card back.
    Disclosure: I own one of these redemption cards (purchased it very cheap from a dealer who didn't want to sit on it for years) and am rooting for the player to make the NHL several years from now, when most of the people holding the other redemption cards of him have forgotten about it. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.