Home Sports Talk

Football....Finally!!!!

Football starts this Sunday!!!!(Pre-season) Should be another great season!! even though my Bills will probably have another .500 season....lol

NFL Schedule

Mark
--------------------------------------------
NFL HOF RC SET

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia Eagles in my opinion should be the favorite to win the NFC and the Super Bowl as well. Barring injury - the Eagles should get it done this upcoming season.

Patriots will flop - Mark my words - they might miss the playoffs or barely squeak in, and if they do squeak in, then they get eliminated in the first playoff game - this is an easy call.
  • KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Philadelphia Eagles in my opinion should be the favorite to win the NFC and the Super Bowl as well. Barring injury - the Eagles should get it done this upcoming season.

It's now 6:03 A.M , i don't think i'll stop laughing for at least another hour !

Dave

<< <i>Philadelphia Eagles in my opinion should be the favorite to win the NFC and the Super Bowl as well. Barring injury - the Eagles should get it done this upcoming season.

It's now 6:03 A.M , i don't think i'll stop laughing for at least another hour !

Dave >>

If the "Dallas Cowboys" were substituted in the comment for the "Philadelphia Eagles" most would laugh for a few hours at least.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody watch exhibition football? Booooooooring.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Philadelphia Eagles in my opinion should be the favorite to win the NFC and the Super Bowl as well. Barring injury - the Eagles should get it done this upcoming season.

Patriots will flop - Mark my words - they might miss the playoffs or barely squeak in, and if they do squeak in, then they get eliminated in the first playoff game - this is an easy call. >>

Ummm, why is this an easy call? Don't they still have Tom Brady (probably top 5 QB's ever), Randy Moss (Top 10 WR ever), Laurence Maroney, Richard Seymour (like 7 time Pro Bowler) and a good group of LB's (including Mike Vrabel - one of the best in the NFL)? In this parity-ridden league they will go no worse than 12-4 and probably get a bye.

And also, isn't Donovan McNabb still the Eagles QB? He's easily the most overrated QB of the last 15 years.
  • MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I watch about every second of each Eagles preseason game. Sometimes I watch the replay! Don't know what that says about me....
  • I can't wait for football! I've been looking forward to it since the last second of last season.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Kentucky starts on Aug 31 against Loserville (I made a topic about our upcoming season as well) and I plan to watch a high school football game too (they're visiting another school that's within walking distance of my apt). Go Panthers and go Wildcats! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>

Patriots will flop - Mark my words - they might miss the playoffs or barely squeak in, and if they do squeak in, then they get eliminated in the first playoff game - this is an easy call. >>

Ummm, why is this an easy call? Don't they still have Tom Brady (probably top 5 QB's ever), Randy Moss (Top 10 WR ever), Laurence Maroney, Richard Seymour (like 7 time Pro Bowler) and a good group of LB's (including Mike Vrabel - one of the best in the NFL)? In this parity-ridden league they will go no worse than 12-4 and probably get a bye.

And also, isn't Donovan McNabb still the Eagles QB? He's easily the most overrated QB of the last 15 years. >>

This has been brought up and discussed a number of times before here - There is an extremely strong trend for years of the Super Bowl loser putting in a dismal performance in the next season - you can look it up. There are a variety of reasons for this and the Patriots heartbreaking loss (heartbreaking to them) in the last game to end their quest for a perfect season, I believe adds to the strength of that trend, making it an easy call that the Patriots will flop compared to what are their expectations..

<< <i>

And also, isn't Donovan McNabb still the Eagles QB? He's easily the most overrated QB of the last 15 years. >>

<<< And also, isn't Donovan McNabb still the Eagles QB? He's easily the most overrated QB of the last 15 years. >>>

That statement tells me that you need to learn more about NFL football - McNabb has had tremendous success in his career by any measurable standard, and he just missed winning the Super Bowl by 4 points to a 7 - 8 point favorite Patriots team.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<<< And also, isn't Donovan McNabb still the Eagles QB? He's easily the most overrated QB of the last 15 years. >>>

That statement tells me that you need to learn more about NFL football - McNabb has had tremendous success in his career by any measurable standard, and he just missed winning the Super Bowl by 4 points to a 7 - 8 point favorite Patriots team. >>

Obviously, because I didn't know that McNabb is 1-4 in NFC title games and 0-1 in Super Bowls. Great QB obviously. I'm more interested in how a team with beasts like Semour/Adalius Thomas and tom Brady/Randy Moss is going to "squeak" into the playoffs.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That statement tells me that you need to learn more about NFL football - McNabb has had tremendous success in his career by any measurable standard, and he just missed winning the Super Bowl by 4 points to a 7 - 8 point favorite Patriots team. >>

Obviously, because I didn't know that McNabb is 1-4 in NFC title games and 0-1 in Super Bowls. Great QB obviously. I'm more interested in how a team with beasts like Semour/Adalius Thomas and tom Brady/Randy Moss is going to "squeak" into the playoffs. >>

You're burying yourself deeper...so Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly and other HOF quarterbacks who neveer won a Super Bowl weren't great quarterbacks? And I'm not saying McNabb is in their class and may never be, but saying McNabb is "the most overrated QB of the last 15 years" is just plain silly - Sounds like you've been listening to Rush Limbaugh.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Philadelphia Eagles in my opinion should be the favorite to win the NFC and the Super Bowl as well. Barring injury - the Eagles should get it done this upcoming season. >>

Whachoo talkin bout Willis?

I thought the Eagles moved to the CFL a few years ago?

I Learn something new everyday

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Obviously, because I didn't know that McNabb is 1-4 in NFC title games and 0-1 in Super Bowls. Great QB obviously. I'm more interested in how a team with beasts like Semour/Adalius Thomas and tom Brady/Randy Moss is going to "squeak" into the playoffs. >>

You're burying yourself deeper...so Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly and other HOF quarterbacks who neveer won a Super Bowl weren't great quarterbacks? And I'm not saying McNabb is in their class and may never be, but saying McNabb is "the most overrated QB of the last 15 years" is just plain silly - Sounds like you've been listening to Rush Limbaugh. >>

I'M BURYING MYSELF DEEPER? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kelly and Tarkenton were each 4-4 in Championship games and SB's combined, no? McNabb is 1-5. And why are the Patriots going to be mediocre? You have yet to answer that question.

<< <i>

<< <i>Philadelphia Eagles in my opinion should be the favorite to win the NFC and the Super Bowl as well. Barring injury - the Eagles should get it done this upcoming season. >>

Whachoo talkin bout Willis?

I thought the Eagles moved to the CFL a few years ago?

I Learn something new everyday

image >>

You're asking for it Matt...you're really asking for it. If you don't cut this out I just might start calling Jerry Jones dirty names.

• watch about every second of each Eagles preseason game. Sometimes I watch the replay! Don't know what that says about me....

I'm the same way.....it has been 6 months now, and I need some football.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You're burying yourself deeper...so Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly and other HOF quarterbacks who neveer won a Super Bowl weren't great quarterbacks? And I'm not saying McNabb is in their class and may never be, but saying McNabb is "the most overrated QB of the last 15 years" is just plain silly - Sounds like you've been listening to Rush Limbaugh. >>

I'M BURYING MYSELF DEEPER? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kelly and Tarkenton were each 4-4 in Championship games and SB's combined, no? McNabb is 1-5. And why are the Patriots going to be mediocre? You have yet to answer that question. >>

I'm not going to spend time going over something that was already posted a number of times...if you want to know it so bad then go back and find the threads.

You've already buried yourself so deep that you'll be able to dig a little further and come out on the other side and watch the
    Olympic games live in China. LOL
    Steve, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I don't see any need to go any further with this. You really didn't speak to any of my points other than to say McNabb is good just because and that the Patriots are going to fail just because when I'm bringing up valid stats to back up my argument. You and I should stick to trading cards, sir. We're never going to see eye to eye on this one.

<< <i>Steve, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I don't see any need to go any further with this. You really didn't speak to any of my points other than to say McNabb is good just because and that the Patriots are going to fail just because when I'm bringing up valid stats to back up my argument. You and I should stick to trading cards, sir. We're never going to see eye to eye on this one. >>

Just havin' some fun - don't take my smack talk too seriously.

...But if you're gonna knock one of my Eagles players, I have a right to strike back. image

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I don't see any need to go any further with this. You really didn't speak to any of my points other than to say McNabb is good just because and that the Patriots are going to fail just because when I'm bringing up valid stats to back up my argument. You and I should stick to trading cards, sir. We're never going to see eye to eye on this one. >>

Just havin' some fun - don't take my smack talk too seriously.

...But if you're gonna knock one of my Eagles players, I have a right to strike back. image >>

Understood image I'm a Boston homer too. Nothing wrong with supporting your teams/players.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SteveK, we do need to figure out the terms of our sig-line bet. You will be donning a Patriots logo somewhere in your avator- believe that.

<< <i>SteveK, we do need to figure out the terms of our sig-line bet. You will be donning a Patriots logo somewhere in your avator- believe that.

image >>

We can definitely do that. "Maybe" which team winds up with the most overall season wins including the playoffs...the loser must display the other's sigline until the end of the Super Bowl game - But that's not an offer yet...I want to see how the Eagles come out of preseason especially with the quarterback situation...We'll discuss it more towards the end of preseason. But right now I believe the Eagles will windup with more wins than the Patriots.

<< <i>

<< <i>SteveK, we do need to figure out the terms of our sig-line bet. You will be donning a Patriots logo somewhere in your avator- believe that.

image >>

We can definitely do that. "Maybe" which team winds up with the most overall season wins including the playoffs...the loser must display the other's sigline until the end of the Super Bowl game - But that's not an offer yet...I want to see how the Eagles come out of preseason especially with the quarterback situation...We'll discuss it more towards the end of preseason. But right now I believe the Eagles will windup with more wins than the Patriots. >>

image Of course its not an "Offer" yet! image If your scared just say your scared! You take as much time as you need Steve! LOL

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

We can definitely do that. "Maybe" which team winds up with the most overall season wins including the playoffs...the loser must display the other's sigline until the end of the Super Bowl game - But that's not an offer yet...I want to see how the Eagles come out of preseason especially with the quarterback situation...We'll discuss it more towards the end of preseason. But right now I believe the Eagles will windup with more wins than the Patriots. >>

image Of course its not an "Offer" yet! image If your scared just say your scared! You take as much time as you need Steve! LOL >>

I knew that was coming and that's fine, but it would be stupid on my part to "hand you" an "automatic" sigline win if McNabb goes down in preseason, without evaluating how far Kolb has progressed. Kolb wasn't ready, and wasn't even close to being ready, to start and win in the NFL last season...I'll have to evaluate his performance in preseason.

And like I said...We've got a lot of time to discuss it...really up until the last week before the regular season begins.

And don't worry - I'd NEVER ask you to remove Perkdog's Perkies, but the rest of your sigline stuff would have to go in place of a nice Eagles picture.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

image Of course its not an "Offer" yet! image If your scared just say your scared! You take as much time as you need Steve! LOL >>

I knew that was coming and that's fine, but it would be stupid on my part to "hand you" an "automatic" sigline win if McNabb goes down in preseason, without evaluating how far Kolb has progressed. Kolb wasn't ready, and wasn't even close to being ready, to start and win in the NFL last season...I'll have to evaluate his performance in preseason.

And like I said...We've got a lot of time to discuss it...really up until the last week before the regular season begins.

And don't worry - I'd NEVER ask you to remove Perkdog's Perkies, but the rest of your sigline stuff would have to go in place of a nice Eagles picture. >>

Fair enough Steve, you let me know when your ready image This will be fun ! image
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the Steelers to go 4-0 against the NFC East this year!
  • Two-a-days start on Monday for me......yet school doesn't start for 2 more weeks. image
  • We all know the road to the super bowl in the NFC goes through Seattle.

Whether its dallAss, or the Iggles losing to the Hawks in the NFC championship, its all the same. image
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>We can definitely do that. "Maybe" which team winds up with the most overall season wins including the playoffs... >>

The Patriots play the NFC and AFC West this year. Add that to their usual play with the AFC East and half of their schedule is a friggin' scrimmage.

Both play the NFC West and I think Pittsburgh.

How about record against common opponents?

<< <i>

<< <i>We can definitely do that. "Maybe" which team winds up with the most overall season wins including the playoffs... >>

The Patriots play the NFC and AFC West this year. Add that to their usual play with the AFC East and half of their schedule is a friggin' scrimmage.

How about record against common opponents? >>

How about you guys line it up anyway you want and I will be OK with it- seriously I have ZERO reservations about betting on our record against the Eagles in any format.

Lets understand something here- please dont take my confidence as disrespect towards the Eagles, as I think they have a decent team but regardless who is QB ( I do think McNabb is a great QB ) your management refuses to help out by providing WR help, aside from the T.O stint when have they addressed the WR position seriously?

• << <i>Add that to their usual play with the AFC East and half of their schedule is a friggin' scrimmage >>

All time the Eagles are 17 wins 17 losses vs the Bills,Miami,Patriots

Vs Buffalo-6 wins 5 losses
    Vs Miami-5 wins 7 losses
    Vs Patriots-6 wins 5 losses

Maybe playing against the "scrimmage" afc east all the time wouldn't be a such a good idea.

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET

<< <i>

<< <i>

How about record against common opponents? >>

How about you guys line it up anyway you want and I will be OK with it- seriously I have ZERO reservations about betting on our record against the Eagles in any format.

Lets understand something here- please dont take my confidence as disrespect towards the Eagles, as I think they have a decent team but regardless who is QB ( I do think McNabb is a great QB ) your management refuses to help out by providing WR help, aside from the T.O stint when have they addressed the WR position seriously? >>

One reason I like seeing Andy Reid stay as coach is season after season the Eagles have one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL - arguably the best overall. In my viewpoint, the "proof" of that is that players the Eagles lose to other teams, almost always seem to perform worse for the other teams and many times much worse. The Eagles uinder Reid have always had a "philosophy" that players can be "coached up" to perform better and the Eagles have "coached up" a number of players quite successfully.

However, this "philosophy" doesn't work as well with a position such as WR - Yes, it helps to "coach up" a WR, but if a WR runs too slow in pads, then basically he's not going to get separation and get open in the NFL, and no amount of coaching is going to help that. Reid's track record on acquiring WR's has been average at best, and usually below average to poor - Something needs to get better in that regard.

That being said, I'm still predicting a big bounce for the Patriots...just a question of how much. Keith had an interesting suggestion, but if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it "straight-up" head to head, most wins, or I'm not going to do it at all. I'd say the chances are 99% certain that we'll do it...but part of the "fun" for me is evaluating it. As you know, I don't gamble anymore but I still like the "action" image ...and I still abhor losing a sigline bet.
  • I'de have to say Colt Brennan looked impressive in his preseason debut, may change when he starts getting bum rushed by starting defenses but so far pretty good. I may have to pick up a few of his rc's.

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Coaches gave us an off day in the afternoon (we still had morning workouts), so me and some friends are about to head down to Dolphins training camp in a few minutes. I'm not really a phins fan, but anytime you can see the big guys up close with your friends it's a good time.
  • I live less then 10 miles from the Bills training camp I'll be heading there a few times before they leave for Buffalo.

Mark
    NFL HOF RC SET