Home Sports Talk
Options

Anyone keep score?

I was up at Yankee stadium last weekend while I was on my annual summer ballpark tour with my dad and as always, I kept score. No reason really, other than the fact that my grandpa taught me about 4 years ago and I've been doing it ever since. It makes you pay attention to the game so much more and it's always fun to see how you interpret things compared to how the home scorer sees them (Let's just say Jeter got away with one).

Anyways, I look around the other night and nobody else keeps score and the guy sitting next to me even has the nerve to basically ask me why I would do that if I can just read it on the computer or in the paper.

I know that it's a sort of dying trend but does anyone else keep score when they're at the ballpark?

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to ALL the time as a kid. I used to keep score ALL THE time while sitting on the couch watching at home. Hell, I still have many old score books from the late 70's and early 80's stashed away image

Now it just gets in the way of drinking BEER image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i do. i started in law school in detroit. i used to go to a lot of game and i picked up a score card and then just started keeping score. if i attended more games i would buy a book and keep all the games together. i use to clip the ticket to the scorecard. i still have them somewhere. i remember bernie williams (yankees) hit a homer from both sides of the plate and had 8 rbis. i got his auto after the game. that was a good one to keep score for. it is a dying art but i enjoy it.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goot you seriously might be one of the only kids from your generation that actually does that anymore!
  • Options
    baseballfan, how did you manage to get Bernie's autograph after the game? I have gotten a few during batting practice but that's it.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i lived about 3 blocks from old tiger stadium and i'm from PA, so i always had time to hang around the field, since i only knew about 5 people out there. i used to stayed about 20 minutes after the game and he came back out to talk to a guy he used to play with in the minors, he talked to him for about 10 minutes and i went over got him to sign the ticket, great guy. paul o'niel also came back out and wouldn't sign for anyone. i didn't ask, never been much of a fan, but one lady did, an obvious yankee fan, and he said in a nasty tone "yeah i should stay here all night and i everyones autograph". this was when they were real good 96-97. never like him after that.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I score virtually every game I go to live since about 1980. I used to score on T.V. but no longer as the information is available on retrosheet. I like to keep pitch counts - swinging strikes etc. I was in Fenway last weekend and with so many people walking up and down the aisle in front of me I missed some pitches. Fortunately, the fans around me knew I was scoring and helped me out.