Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I AM RIPPING MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my freaking horror am I STEAMING ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All week I been watching this gorgeous 1952 Bowman Large PSA 7 Elroy Hirsch that is insanely tough to find- well I watch it right down to 1 minute ( the auction was at $191 ) and punch in my $500 bid and the seller has me blocked! I have no idea why or who this seller is, my ebay handle is "101paulp" I have a 144 rating at 100%- I have to members that negged me back in 2005 - my fault BTW I had no clue what I was doing- but since then I pay immediately after the auction ends via pay pal or money order the next day.

I AM BEYOND ANGRY RIGHT NOW image

Sorry but I need to vent to some people who understand- the girlfriend cannot understand what the big deal is!

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and the card ended up selling for the $191 image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    That's crazy. Email the guy and tell him you tried to put in a $500 bid.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    yeah email and see what he says.. let him know what he lost too
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy it from the auction winner for $250. Don't show him this thread though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Lee thats the second thing I did after the auction ended and asked why I was blocked and told him he prolly cost himself a few hundred bucks-- the first thing was almost punching holes in the walls!

I cant see the guy not honoring the sale to the lucky person that won it- I cant even think of him trying to explain to the buyer this story.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that stinks.

I feel for ya. do some revenge buying, that always helps me feel a little better.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Perk, sorry to hear you missed out on a great card. I have never had that happen, but I have bid a few seconds too late before I started sniping. It sucks, but on the bright side you will make a great purchase that will take your mind off it.
  • Options
    OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    That to bad ! somebody clowned you.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NEVER will I ever wait until the last minute like that again. HARD lessons learned here, I will throw a garbage bid up on day one from now on- believe that!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    ALOT of "friend-of-friend" BBL lists have been trading hands, lately.

My fashion and electronic lists are WAY over 3K names. Most came from other sellers.

My collectible list is much smaller because I have mostly compiled it myself.

Somebody has a commercial list of folks who have left NEGs after May 19. I will look
    for the link and post it. It's $10 per thousand names, and it's categorized.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>ALOT of "friend-of-friend" BBL lists have been trading hands, lately.

My fashion and electronic lists are WAY over 3K names. Most came from other sellers.

My collectible list is much smaller because I have mostly compiled it myself.

Somebody has a commercial list of folks who have left NEGs after May 19. I will look
    for the link and post it. It's $10 per thousand names, and it's categorized. >>

Storm check out my feedback- I have NEVER left a neg on anyone-ever! This cant be some type of payback- every seller I have been involved with has been paid up and given positive feedback from me!
  • Options
    bummer...i have had that happen to me before, but it wasn't that big of a deal in my case...sounds like you really wanted that one.

PS - your subject line made me think you were "ripping wax like crazy" LOL

I would take the other guys advice and contact the bidder and offer him 250-300
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear this, perk. That is beyond frustrating. Wonder if the seller can shed some light on this?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    That stinks, sounds like a gorgeous card. Try contacting the winner and see if he will sell. Best of luck.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    I've been on ebay since 2000 with 100% feedback and lost out on some snipes recently because of being blocked. After it happened a couple times with a few different sellers I looked into it, and it was because my PayPal and ebay account were not linked. I've been using PayPal for as long as I've been on ebay and I'm verified and all that, but there was some step that I didn't do to link the two accounts officially. Some sellers have PayPal required auctions that block bidders that don't have their PayPal id's linked to their ebay account.

I never noticed any overt indication that the auctions were PayPal bidders only, but was finally able to link the two and have not been blocked once since.

Not sure if that's what the problem was, but maybe it's worth looking into?

Regardless I know how it feels to have snipes fail, so sorry for your loss. Better luck next time!
  • Options
    "...Wonder if the seller can shed some light on this? .."

///////////////////

Since perk appears to have had no controversy, the seller may not even know/recall
    how the name got added.

I do not know/remember the reason for 99% of my BBL names.
  • Options
    "...I looked into it, and it was because my PayPal and ebay account were not linked. I've been using PayPal for as long as I've been on ebay and I'm verified and all that, but there was some step that I didn't do to link the two accounts officially. Some sellers have PayPal required auctions that block bidders that don't have their PayPal id's linked to their ebay account."

//////////////////////////

Likely BINGO.

The PP accounts have been getting "unlinked," lately. They
    have to be put back in manually.

The seller preferences that blocked perk likely had to do with
    a PP requirment, and NOT with a personal block.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    that stinks, i hope you find out why you were blocked and let them know it cost them some coin
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"...I looked into it, and it was because my PayPal and ebay account were not linked. I've been using PayPal for as long as I've been on ebay and I'm verified and all that, but there was some step that I didn't do to link the two accounts officially. Some sellers have PayPal required auctions that block bidders that don't have their PayPal id's linked to their ebay account." >>

Had the same thing happen last week, never any warning that they weren't linked. Luckily it wasn't a huge card to me.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    lol good luck with the ripping
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    This has to be the reason, I have never had this problem before though- I use paypal for EVERY auction I win that accepts pay-pal, as a matter of fact I just used it like 2 days ago without any issues.

Well after going to the store and buying a can of Kodiak and shoveling an enormous dip in I still dont feel any better but I appreaciate those of you who looked into it- and thanks for understanding my sincere RAGE.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was gonna say the seller must be a Yankee or Colt fanimage, but I looked up the auction on ebay and found out it's Poway Sports Cards in San Diego CA. I've dealt with him once ('51 Bowman Mantle), and he seemed like a decent guy. Send him an email and ask him what's up. Hopefully, you'll be able to straighten him outimage

Steve
  • Options
    Perkdog sorry to hear that! till you find out what went wrong contact the auction winner and try and work out a deal for the card.

Its bad enough that the auctions seem to be getting fewer and fewer on vintage football, let alone when you find a gem this happens. I hope you manage to get it.

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>Perkdog sorry to hear that! till you find out what went wrong contact the auction winner and try and work out a deal for the card.

Its bad enough that the auctions seem to be getting fewer and fewer on vintage football, let alone when you find a gem this happens. I hope you manage to get it. >>

Thanks Mark, its funny you mentioned the lack of Vintage Football auctions , the winning buyer JRMazzeo started a thread on that exact same subject in the set registry forums a few weeks ago LOL, he needs a 7 for his set and has deeeep pockets to boot so in hindsight my $500 bid might not have been good enough anyways.
  • Options
    You're not alone Perk, the same thing happened to me two days ago. I was waiting all week to snipe on a $200 vintage gai wax pak. I had a 10% discount coupon from ebay that I didn't use on two previous auctions that I won that same week because I wanted to use this coupon on the most expensive of the three auctions. I threw on the snipe with 10 seconds left and was blocked. My coupon also expired at midnight that same day so I never was able to make use of it!! I was doubly teed off to say the least. I knew who the seller was because he lived 30 miles from me and about 3 months earlier I wanted to bid on an auction of his but in the listing he had a picture of a '76 cello pak but in both the title and description he said it was a wax pak. Also the shipping price was listed in two areas of the listing with one price being $3 higher than the other. I remember there were one or two other less important but noteable discrepances in the listing as well. I emailed him informing him of these discrepances and told him I couldn't bid on the auction until these inconsistancies were rectified and that these items, if not fixed, could result in his auction selling for less than it would otherwise as it would discourage other potential bidders. I remember he didn't respond to my email nor did he even change his listing. I sent the same email two more times with no response. It's obvious to me now that he took my suggestions as being critical and not being helpful as I had intended. So after I was blocked two days ago I immediately knew what happened and contacted him again and told him the situation and that my email months ago was not sent in a critical vain but in a constructive one. He returned my email today and it simply said, "you were blocked for a reason. we will not accept your bids." Needless to say Perk there are also some real A-holes out there. Worth mentioning is the fact that this seller has received 201 negatives in the last six months. Yes that's right, 201 negatives in the last six months--I guess he has pissed off more people than just myself!!!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    I know Im not alone and believe me this is small stuff compared to what many people have had happen with Ebay- getting ripped off ect.. it is what it is and Ive accepted it. I dont think the seller had any reason to block me as Im sure it was a glich somewhere, again its small beans compared to never receiving a big ticket item or getting scammed and having to deal with that garbage so I need to just put it past me and move on.

Thanks again guys,

Paul
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>lol good luck with the ripping >>

T-bag = idiot.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been on ebay since 2000 with 100% feedback and lost out on some snipes recently because of being blocked. After it happened a couple times with a few different sellers I looked into it, and it was because my PayPal and ebay account were not linked. I've been using PayPal for as long as I've been on ebay and I'm verified and all that, but there was some step that I didn't do to link the two accounts officially. Some sellers have PayPal required auctions that block bidders that don't have their PayPal id's linked to their ebay account. >>

The same thing happened to me when I was bidding on a rickey Henderson PSA 9 rookie. I will not let that happen again.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    PM me next time,

i have street credibility you wouldn't believe.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Evidently there is some gllitch with Paypal and Ebay. I have had a couple of buyers recently tell me that they are blocked because of their Paypal account not being linked. I require buyers to have a Paypal account.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Probably the next logical step to ebay making all buyers pay via paypal.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably the next logical step to ebay making all buyers pay via paypal. >>

Probaly so, but it seems funny that sellers who have the block set up to block members without linked Paypal accounts are the ones who are having the trouble.

Ebay won't be able to totally force Paypal only on sellers, but they can make it more and more difficult for those who do not do so. Next step will be requiring all sellers to take Paypal in addition to other payments. They already do this on sellers who have registered in the past 2 years.
  • Options
    "..Ebay won't be able to totally force Paypal only on sellers, .."

//////////////////////////////////////////

Looks like they will use a carrot instead of a stick.

The likely prospective offer in 2009:

Sellers who offer PayPal as the ONLY payment option, will win a prize:

"NPBs who cannot produce evidence of having made a PayPal payment,
    will NOT be allowed to leave feedback."

If that sounds radical..... eCrater has had that policy for a long time.

If that scheme does not achieve the desired results, EBAY is fully prepared
    to test the anti-trust issues. The more I study the case, the more sure I
    become that there are actually NO anti-trust issues.