Home U.S. Coin Forum

2007 American Eagle 10th Anniversary Platinum Coin Set: How long and how many??

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone know when the Mint will finally pull the plug on these? And.....any word on how were actually sold?? Thanks!image

Comments

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Hint hint hiNT HINT hint

1999 Susan B Anthony Dollars were sold by the US Mint for what must have been 4 years. Maybe 5 years even.

Hint hint hiNT HINT hint
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The total in NN this week is 18,025. If I had a bunch of these - sure thing, I'd sell them for $2,649.95 too!

Amazingly, it looks as if the Mint has sold 60 or 70 more of these in the past few weeks. I'm perplexed as to why someone who wanted a set wouldn't just buy them on ebay alot cheaper, and certified to boot!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>The total in NN this week is 18,025. If I had a bunch of these - sure thing, I'd sell them for $2,649.95 too!

Amazingly, it looks as if the Mint has sold 60 or 70 more of these in the past few weeks. I'm perplexed as to why someone who wanted a set wouldn't just buy them on ebay alot cheaper, and certified to boot! >>

I noticed this too. I had been checking the last few weeks and it moved only a handful (literally) each time. This is the first I've seen it over 18K. Could just be more of that funky mint accounting catching up.

EDITED TO ADD:
    When will they stop selling the 2001 Kennedy's!!!!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably for a long time.

These coins have lost all potential to increase in price......
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>EDITED TO ADD:

When will they stop selling the 2001 Kennedy's!!!! >>

I think the lovable Mint is just selling to inexperienced buyers. Surely no one with much experience would want any 2001's.

• Can you imagine these things hanging around for 4-5 Years? With a Mintage that is ONLY 1/2 sold, and almost 100% over Melt?

Maybe 5-8 Years?

The idiot at the US Mint who "green-lighted" 30K Units should be shot, drawn and quartered in the Washington Mall as an example to others.
  • Unfortunately, if you buy one of these sets now, you risk getting one with problems that was previously returned by someone.
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    PM prices are there only hope. We'll see what happens this fall/winter with another run on PM's these maybe flying off the shelf.
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    If they've already made all 30K, what's the problem with cutting it at a certain date and melting the rest
    for use for '08 plats? I

If they haven't been minted fully, then no problem at all. I just don't understand them folks.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they've already made all 30K, what's the problem with cutting it at a certain date and melting the rest
    for use for '08 plats? I

If they haven't been minted fully, then no problem at all. I just don't understand them folks. >>

It will be interesting since they can't make anymore 2007's and are just trying to sell whats on hand. I didn't buy the set coming out and I'm waiting on this one. I remember when they first came out they were way over priced and then the run up to 2300 made them look like those buying them were smart.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Aren't these two of the highest $50 platinum coins mintage wise?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't these two of the highest $50 platinum coins mintage wise?

In the proof series, they are #1 and #2 in terms of highest mintages (and sales), even if they stopped selling them today.

Unfortunately, if you buy one of these sets now, you risk getting one with problems that was previously returned by someone.

This is so very, very true.

The idiot at the US Mint who "green-lighted" 30K Units should be shot, drawn and quartered in the Washington Mall as an example to others.

I suspect that it was a committee of brain-dead idiots, but that's just speculation on my part.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I had 3 sets all came back Pcgs 70, sold 2 sets on ebay for $2,900 and $3,100 or around there if I remember. So I have one for free after the sales. I will put it away because you will never know when I might have to chop them up in pieces of Reales to take a boat out of here.image I mean out of America, Peru looks like a good place to ship off to.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be an increasing trend for the US Mint to keep offerings open ended.......

Not good for us collectors. Perhaps they are trying to kill the 'flipping' that we have become used to.
    ----- kj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file