Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I sure wish we would get more reports from the ANA Show as to where the Market is going.

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
About what trends in collecting are starting or continuing.

It is always nice to know what's hot and whats not and if

there are changes brewing in the pricing.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>About what trends in collecting are starting or continuing.

It is always nice to know what's hot and whats not and if

there are changes brewing in the pricing. >>

How about some vintage show reports?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Pogs are HOT HOT HOT!
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Chinese "replicas" are being graded by the #3 TPG now. Market prices for Monster Rainbow MS70's are on FIRE !

Better get on this wagon mon, before it's too late. image

Note ; #3 MS70's = MS 63 in a big time slab - but still...... anything in a slab just seems to sell a bit better.

even if the label sez " GENIUNE (replica) "

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Considering how the ANA convention is going so far, I'm feeling quite optimistic about the future of this business and hobby.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brothers, because of a death in the family, I was unable to attend. I did, however; get a call about an hour ago and I was told that MPLs were VERY hot. I was told some prices realized and some gossip but I'm not gonna steal anybody's thunder. I'm not talking about the auction either. I'm talking about floor action.

Trust me when I say the MPL price guide is going up. image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    I will give it a shot, probably not worth reading. I was not overwhelmed by throngs of people- the Show was comfortable to navigate and not a bumping contest. The tables that seemed to me to have the most activity were the tables with a large inventory of raw coins. There appeared to be a lot of gold seekers-kicking tires, asking questions. I heard the standard gold comments a lot as I walked around.

I will say that what surprised me was the very busy atmosphere at the paper money Dealers in the Hall. Every table had elbow looking room only.

The PCGS table was 2 deep. I waited 15 minutes to ask a very basic question for clarity. It was not due to an attack of submitters. It was due to assistance level, or lack of same. There were 6 individuals behind the Counter(7 really, but 1 was an official looking fellow in a suit that sat the entire time staring at people-or maybe he thought my suit was nicer). 1 was a courier that was picking up. 1 was a middle aged fellow, who I said excuse me can you assist me or direct me concerning a fast question- I repeated this 2 times- and his reply was to lean against the rear of the area and then walk for a while to the other end, flay his arms around in animated conversation with one of 2 ladies behind the counter and then come back and lean some more. This action stopped the 2 ladies from helping customers and things bogged down. 1 lady was trying to assist 3 customers at the same time and doing a very good job of it and the last lady was at the far end of the Counter helping paper money submitters.

The NGC table seemed to me to be much better organized, but then again there was not but 3 or 4 customers at that time, but there were 4 fully attentive people behind the Counter.

I had just come to the NGC table area and 2 gentlemen were standing there, one a Dealer(the Badge tells you) and one a visitor. The Dealer stopped the visitor, knowing him I presume and asked the visitor if he thought PCGS did a better grading job than NGC. He said it at a voice level best reserved for an announcer at the horse races and one of the NGC employees rolled his eyes, but didn't say anything. I kept walking-fast.

I attended 3 very well done programs. The first was Donald Scarinci speaking about the ABC's of Art Medal collecting. There were maybe 12 people at this program. He is a very good speaker and engaged the listeners with direct observations and great explanations of answers to questions. A very in-depth review in a short period of time. I left very satisfied.

I also attended the Douglas Mudd Medieval Coinage Part II lecture. Maybe 20 people attended. I liked the subject matter, but the presentation was not as 'flowing' as the Medal Lecture.

The last Program I attended was also the one I enjoyed the most-Collecting Coin Boards of the 1930's and 1940's, by Mr. Lange. About 25 people there. He is a very comfortable Speaker, thoroughly enjoys collecting, is very pleasing to listen to and prepares an outstanding Presentation. He crammed a lot into 45 minutes. Don't miss it if you have a chance to attend. At the end, he had a Raffle and gave away 3 very nice Coin Boards from his own collection. He also had a very nice Display at the Lecture. He definitely went the extra mile to make it entertaining and informational with substance.

I attended about 1 1/2 hours of the Auction. The first 1/2 hour the room was about a 1/4 full and bidding was animated for EAC portion and prices very high, even for so-so pieces. By the Indian head cent portion, the room had increased to 50% full, heavy bidding with heavy prices. I was not expecting this. I stayed thru the 1922 No D portion of the Auction, and again strong prices and people leaving the room at a quicker pace.

Maybe to get sick in private? By my Notes, I would estimate that less than 3% of the pieces didn't sell. I threw a couple of Bids out, was quickly 'Al Quedaed' (with my wife openly laughing at me and causing the 2 gentlemen closest to us to laugh with her).
    I will say that I never saw Bids move so quickly to $10-20,000. I would estimate 50% of what I witnessed went to Internet Bidders. There were 2 very spirited Bidders in the Room taking a heavy percentage of the pieces.

I viewed a lot of CBH pieces. One Dealer had a very nice Colllection Display for sale, but pricing-Whew! I won't comment on quality.

I found 2 acceptable SL Dimes at Doc Saslow's table for a reasonable price, both raw. An 1838 small stars vf sitting very lonesome in a knick knack area of his Display and a dirty, ugly, filthy 1843o f sitting next to a mercury dime area of the case. Every now and then Doc has a bargain that is a bargain.

I briefly exchanged friendly words in the Lobby area with Paul Battaglia. The RCNH table seemed particularly active as usual. No surprise really when you are seeking Originality and courtesy and friendly numismatic conversation.

I ran into 3 different Barber Series seekers, on three different occasions-one occasion being an eyeball session being held without my wife's knowledge until I told her and she looked at him and started laughing( that laugh again) and he joined in and we had a brief enjoyable conversation informing me of his "slim pickins" for ANY Barber material, but he was specifically hunting quarters because the Halves searching was impossible.

I liked the U.S. Mint Display, including the $2,700,000 6 Gold Bars. I spent some time at the Blay Display at PCGS and found it much more accessible than I thought I would. Very impressive Collection.

The World Mint Section was fun, but the Israel table had only one middle aged lady, she didn't understand what I was asking(HOW MUCH) and finally conveyed that she is not experienced and directed me to another table. I found the China Display gaudy, overpriced and overmanned. The Japan Mint was lacking in substance, but had one heck of a lot of people behind the Counter. I didn't understand this.
    My wife supplied the answer later on when we were in the Lobby "Resaurant"(better words come to mind) area sharing a $3 drink. All the Japan Mint employees were sitting next to us having lunch. All but one was having Pizza. My wife started laughing again, and commented that they all volunteered to fly here, for the chance to eat Pizza.

In the Whitman area, Mr. Krause, Mr. Mishler and Mr. Bowers were in open conversation and there was a lot of picture taking.
    Lastly, the Wizard Supply area was the busiest, actually making Whitman area look like a no- show. I decided to go back tomorrow to Wizard to more closely examine prices, because it was just over crowded, but there was sure a tremendous amount of offerings.

That is about the best I can recall for now. I, of course saw many other greats and near- greats, but no spicy stories to tell and I tried to stay in the background and watch my wife enjoy herself. She is much better with people than I and never stops smiling. It comes natural to her. She just likes people(and spending money). Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    holy crap charley... return key broken? image

-sm
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>holy crap charley... return key broken? image

-sm >>

It hurts my eyes
  • Options
    I am sorry, I was trying to relay info without thinking and started typing like my wife talks- 38 years of influence. I didn't realize what it looked like until I posted. I am going to visit the Priest right now and get Absolution.... Respectfully, and Sorry, John Curlis
  • Options
    Hopefully better. Priest Absolution successful. Respectfully, John curlis
  • Options
    Hm. Well, now it looks really long.

Good report! image
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I attended 3 very well done programs. The first was Donald Scarinci speaking about the ABC's of Art Medal collecting. There were maybe 12 people at this program. He is a very good speaker and engaged the listeners with direct observations and great explanations of answers to questions. A very in-depth review in a short period of time. I left very satisfied.
    >>

Could you go into this talk with some more detail? Had I gone today instead of tomorrow I would have attended the talk.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    Great report...hard to read, yes....but I enjoyed it all....thanks

RAH
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am sorry, I was trying to relay info without thinking and started typing like my wife talks- 38 years of influence. I didn't realize what it looked like until I posted. I am going to visit the Priest right now and get Absolution.... Respectfully, and Sorry, John Curlis >>

Most excellent report John.
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most excellent report John. >>

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    A report that in-depth is always welcome by me.

return key not required.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A report that in-depth is always welcome by me.

return key not required. >>

• Options

<< <i>A report that in-depth is always welcome by me.

return key not required. >>

Thanks for the report.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks - great report!!!!
  • Options
    Charley, a really top notch report.

Most informative and interesting.

Thank you.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    What is an MPL?????
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Ooh ooh oohh I know I know.

Matte Proof Lincoln.

Am I rite?
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    would you rather Bear had typed it?!
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>Ooh ooh oohh I know I know.

Matte Proof Lincoln.

Am I rite? >>

You are correct there, brother.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    Me too
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Charley,

Gee, sounds just like my day today and yesterday, good report! image

Missed you at the Lange talk (not sure what you look like). Come by the Wizard table tomorrow between 1pm & 2pm and say howdy, will be there signing Quarter books.

Respectfully, QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Great report John-------you should have called me. I would have been honored to meet the wife and watch a real pro at work--seriouslyimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I found this thread after the return key was found.

Charley, thanks for taking the time to fill us in on your ANA experience.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Great report John...I'm glad you were granted absolution.

• Options
    I was there today, 1 til 4. Spent money with the aforementioned Wizard. Way less expensive than Whitman (who is entitled Why?). Met some awesome ANA educators - cos I want to take the grading sessions and though live in Bmore, can't do it this round. They are good people! Asked some questions at the PCGS table - Which was WAY well described previously. Spent an hour in the auction where it was browse time. 20 browsers max over that hour. Walked the contest displays - wow. They all deserve some love. Also enjoyed the Mint exhibit (the high relief - whew, well last time I'll see one in person!) Wanted to talk to the Coneca guys but someone was conducting a very long, long, long sale at their table.

I'm a b-moron, so I'll check back tomorrow as there are some more sessions I want to see. Couldn't comment on what's hot though. Other than me feeling less than cool not rushing about with a brief case. I refuse to believe they all have coins in them! Show offs!

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I think an MPL is the same thing as a credit default swap, not exactly sure thoughimage----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I had a blast. I sold all of my colorful RB Lincolns to Dennis King and then took those funds and bought two XF Buffalo keys from Rich Uhrich for my second collection housed in Capital Plastic. 80% of those I talked to said the show has already paid for their trip with a few more days to go. Sounds like business is good!

I'll be at the PCGS luncheon tomorrow and then on to other things.

Garrow

Edit for numerous grammatical errors. OOOPS!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Charley/ John. image

Great report.

....and he actually mentioned Barbers!
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave a report twice daily right here up through yesterday and stated that the coin market appeared quite steady.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Charley, a really top notch report.

Most informative and interesting. >>

Agree. Thanks for taking the time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the Whitman area, Mr. Krause, Mr. Mishler and Mr. Bowers were in open conversation and there was a lot of picture taking.
    Lastly, the Wizard Supply area was the busiest, actually making Whitman area look like a no- show. I decided to go back tomorrow to Wizard to more closely examine prices, because it was just over crowded, but there was sure a tremendous amount of offerings. >>

Per the CRO Road Report:

I'd love to beging today's recap with something amusing, but unfortunately the start of the day was anything but. Minutes after I arrived at the show I heard a tremendous racket and turned around just in time to see the big wooden bookcases behind the Whitman table (filled with heavy books and with a big lighted sign on top) come crashing down. I was so stunned I didn't realize that the woman who was setting up their booth was trapped under all of that, but people came running from all directions to help dig her out. She was pretty banged up, I'm afraid, but quickly whisked away to the hospital. I do not know how she is now, but I do know that that was incredibly frightening to witness. Let's hope it wasn't as bad as it looked.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Spent money with the aforementioned Wizard. Way less expensive than Whitman (who is entitled Why?) >>

My guess is that since Whitman is a publisher/manufacturer, they must sell at retail to avoid angering (competing with) their resellers.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Eliasberg 1798 small 8 dime in NGC MS-66 sold yesterday at Heritage for an astonishing $253,000 to a phone bidder.

A little background: The Eliasberg dime was once graded MS-65 along with the Bareford dime over 10 years ago. Since then, NGC bumped the Eliasberg dime to MS-66 while the Bareford was never resubmitted for regrading. Both coins are pretty much equal in quality.

Within the last year and a half, PCGS raised their price listing on the 1798 small 8 dime in MS-65 from $50,000 to $125,000 (in two steps). Since PCGS does not recognize the Eliasberg 1798 small 8 dime as a MS-66, it makes me wonder what PCGS will revalue the MS-65 grade as.

To add further, Numismedia retail shows the MS-65 for $65,000.

The price sheets do not reflect the auction prices.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Garbage Pail Kids are Red Hot!!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Great report John, keep 'em coming. Interesting that the coin biz keeps going strong vs. the happenings of late with the economy.

We need some pics though!

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that the coin biz keeps going strong vs. the happenings of late with the economy >>

I agree, this is interesting....although this is one of the more upbeat show reports I've seen in a while. Let's see what others have to say as the show progresses.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great report. I loved the "PCGS/NGC, who grades better?" imageimage

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the great report. I loved the "PCGS/NGC, who grades better?" imageimage >>

• Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    I thought I had heard the TNA show in Ft. Worth was fairly decent a few weeks ago. I was looking forward to having someone compare it with the Houston show. Glad ANA is going well for you folks.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great report John!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will give it a shot, probably not worth reading. I was not overwhelmed by throngs of people- the Show was comfortable to navigate and not a bumping contest. The tables that seemed to me to have the most activity were the tables with a large inventory of raw coins. There appeared to be a lot of gold seekers-kicking tires, asking questions. I heard the standard gold comments a lot as I walked around.

I will say that what surprised me was the very busy atmosphere at the paper money Dealers in the Hall. Every table had elbow looking room only.

The PCGS table was 2 deep. I waited 15 minutes to ask a very basic question for clarity. It was not due to an attack of submitters. It was due to assistance level, or lack of same. There were 6 individuals behind the Counter(7 really, but 1 was an official looking fellow in a suit that sat the entire time staring at people-or maybe he thought my suit was nicer). 1 was a courier that was picking up. 1 was a middle aged fellow, who I said excuse me can you assist me or direct me concerning a fast question- I repeated this 2 times- and his reply was to lean against the rear of the area and then walk for a while to the other end, flay his arms around in animated conversation with one of 2 ladies behind the counter and then come back and lean some more. This action stopped the 2 ladies from helping customers and things bogged down. 1 lady was trying to assist 3 customers at the same time and doing a very good job of it and the last lady was at the far end of the Counter helping paper money submitters.

The NGC table seemed to me to be much better organized, but then again there was not but 3 or 4 customers at that time, but there were 4 fully attentive people behind the Counter.

I had just come to the NGC table area and 2 gentlemen were standing there, one a Dealer(the Badge tells you) and one a visitor. The Dealer stopped the visitor, knowing him I presume and asked the visitor if he thought PCGS did a better grading job than NGC. He said it at a voice level best reserved for an announcer at the horse races and one of the NGC employees rolled his eyes, but didn't say anything. I kept walking-fast.

I attended 3 very well done programs. The first was Donald Scarinci speaking about the ABC's of Art Medal collecting. There were maybe 12 people at this program. He is a very good speaker and engaged the listeners with direct observations and great explanations of answers to questions. A very in-depth review in a short period of time. I left very satisfied.

I also attended the Douglas Mudd Medieval Coinage Part II lecture. Maybe 20 people attended. I liked the subject matter, but the presentation was not as 'flowing' as the Medal Lecture.

The last Program I attended was also the one I enjoyed the most-Collecting Coin Boards of the 1930's and 1940's, by Mr. Lange. About 25 people there. He is a very comfortable Speaker, thoroughly enjoys collecting, is very pleasing to listen to and prepares an outstanding Presentation. He crammed a lot into 45 minutes. Don't miss it if you have a chance to attend. At the end, he had a Raffle and gave away 3 very nice Coin Boards from his own collection. He also had a very nice Display at the Lecture. He definitely went the extra mile to make it entertaining and informational with substance.

I attended about 1 1/2 hours of the Auction. The first 1/2 hour the room was about a 1/4 full and bidding was animated for EAC portion and prices very high, even for so-so pieces. By the Indian head cent portion, the room had increased to 50% full, heavy bidding with heavy prices. I was not expecting this. I stayed thru the 1922 No D portion of the Auction, and again strong prices and people leaving the room at a quicker pace.

Maybe to get sick in private? By my Notes, I would estimate that less than 3% of the pieces didn't sell. I threw a couple of Bids out, was quickly 'Al Quedaed' (with my wife openly laughing at me and causing the 2 gentlemen closest to us to laugh with her).
    I will say that I never saw Bids move so quickly to $10-20,000. I would estimate 50% of what I witnessed went to Internet Bidders. There were 2 very spirited Bidders in the Room taking a heavy percentage of the pieces.

I viewed a lot of CBH pieces. One Dealer had a very nice Colllection Display for sale, but pricing-Whew! I won't comment on quality.

I found 2 acceptable SL Dimes at Doc Saslow's table for a reasonable price, both raw. An 1838 small stars vf sitting very lonesome in a knick knack area of his Display and a dirty, ugly, filthy 1843o f sitting next to a mercury dime area of the case. Every now and then Doc has a bargain that is a bargain.

I briefly exchanged friendly words in the Lobby area with Paul Battaglia. The RCNH table seemed particularly active as usual. No surprise really when you are seeking Originality and courtesy and friendly numismatic conversation.

I ran into 3 different Barber Series seekers, on three different occasions-one occasion being an eyeball session being held without my wife's knowledge until I told her and she looked at him and started laughing( that laugh again) and he joined in and we had a brief enjoyable conversation informing me of his "slim pickins" for ANY Barber material, but he was specifically hunting quarters because the Halves searching was impossible.

I liked the U.S. Mint Display, including the $2,700,000 6 Gold Bars. I spent some time at the Blay Display at PCGS and found it much more accessible than I thought I would. Very impressive Collection.

The World Mint Section was fun, but the Israel table had only one middle aged lady, she didn't understand what I was asking(HOW MUCH) and finally conveyed that she is not experienced and directed me to another table. I found the China Display gaudy, overpriced and overmanned. The Japan Mint was lacking in substance, but had one heck of a lot of people behind the Counter. I didn't understand this.
    My wife supplied the answer later on when we were in the Lobby "Resaurant"(better words come to mind) area sharing a $3 drink. All the Japan Mint employees were sitting next to us having lunch. All but one was having Pizza. My wife started laughing again, and commented that they all volunteered to fly here, for the chance to eat Pizza.

In the Whitman area, Mr. Krause, Mr. Mishler and Mr. Bowers were in open conversation and there was a lot of picture taking.
    Lastly, the Wizard Supply area was the busiest, actually making Whitman area look like a no- show. I decided to go back tomorrow to Wizard to more closely examine prices, because it was just over crowded, but there was sure a tremendous amount of offerings.

That is about the best I can recall for now. I, of course saw many other greats and near- greats, but no spicy stories to tell and I tried to stay in the background and watch my wife enjoy herself. She is much better with people than I and never stops smiling. It comes natural to her. She just likes people(and spending money). Respectfully, John Curlis >>

Wow John, good report! image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great report John but I am disappointed that you did not mention or were not interested in the UHR display at the U.S. Mint table. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heritage Auction report

I was stunned at the following:

1838 1/2 dime NGC MS68* $37,375 (pretty and decent coin, had 2 light grazes). In the 20's seemed like all the money on this one.
    1839 dime PCGS MS67 $43,000+ (pretty and orig but a light knee scrape bothered me a tad) . Would have figured this well under $20K.

1844 quarter in PCGS MS65 at $19K+ showed how tough true gems rarely are. This was an upgrade coin I was told. Had a few ticks in the fields and luster a bit subdued. Interesting that a MS65 NGC 1845 followed this one and was a "pretender" with dullish luster, only fetched $5K. I would have figured the 1844 in the under $15K range but this is about the best one I can recall seeing in many years.

1853 NA 25c in PCGS MS65 was a really nice original (a MS66 imo) but it did not meet reserve.
    1853 A&R quarter looked like a solid MS65 to me (PCGS) but it only fetched $13K. Maybe a tad subdued for most, but a nice orig piece imo. Very clean.

Pinnacle bought a pair of decent original halves - 1866 and 1856-0, both PCGS MS65. They were in the $6-8.5K range. The 1866 seemed a better value date-wise but I liked the 56-0 better. Nice looking original pieces.

The dipped PCGS MS66 1854-0 half brought almost $30K while the more original one fetched $26-27K. I liked the original one better.
    While it was a tad subdued it was all there imo. This type has fetched $32-37K at auction when pretty.

1891 half PCGS MS67 was well over $20k. Had a lot of hits but it had tremendous eye appeal.

a lot of no sales in high grade gem PF seated dollars, including the PF69

Every PQ or shot or really nice coin brought a premium in every case. I saw literally nothing slip by...ok except maybe the 1895-s MS66 NGC Eliasberg half. I loved the luster and look of the coin. Can't figure out why only $11K when $15K seemed more like fair value. Maybe the NGC holder held it back.

More once I get back.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roadrunner:

When I search through Heritage's list of unsold coins, it strikes me that compared to the coins sold, a much larger fraction of the unsold coins are NGC coins. In other words, it looks like PCGS encapsulated coins are "easier" to sell than NGC encapsulated coins. Does this casual observation agree with what you see at the auction?
    Mark

• Options
    This evening I will use paragraphs.

Show impressions- heavier attendence today. I was VERY pleased and happy to see a significant YN population today, incuding thru late teens and actively engaged in all show activities. Speaks well of the future.

The Hall was getting hotter and stickier( no, no pun) as the day wore on. I am not sure if it is system design overload or deliberately not turning thermo. down. Not comfortable after 1 hour.

If you had original anything, it was selling collector to dealer and vice-versa. Watched this many times.

Again today, the tables with the most activity were those with a substantial raw coin selection, and AGAIN, the paper money tables were elbow room only.

The larger deep pocket dealers were not very attentive to people stopping at their table. I will state an exception for RCNH and Wayne Herndon.

I stopped at the Legend table to see the display- nice coins, 2 people behind the counter, no interest in asking you if you had questions, needed help, etc. This pattern was repeated with all the big names. Maybe it is just me and maybe they can smell if you don't have a wallet that fits their selling interest, but a little courtesy is not difficult.

The Heritage table had 5 million employees and if you walked by, they jumped up, asked you if you wanted to look at anything, any questions, etc. I witnessed them do this to all that passed by-young, old, fat, skinny, ugly, pretty, dressed, undressed, smelly , perfumed-it didn't matter. I liked that.

I also like the Barber Halves collections they had displayed that will be offered in Jan 09. Some people are going to be very happy if they win.

I was passing by a well known dealer's table. This was the (short version) conversation:

Why are those coins on the case?
    He told me to put them there-
    I don't care, why are they in the case?
    He told...
    GET EM OUT, GET IM OUT NOW, DOS ARE MY COINS! i BORT IM
    But you said...
    I don care, where is thatxxx Ya betta(at this point the accent became distinctly Brooklyn/Jersey, even though I rest assured that is not where he is from-Soprano fan, I guess)
    Where is he- go get him, call him, I will take the coins out myself...(opens case with acting skills learned from Claude Van Damm)
    alri, sta da yellin( at this point the other guy lapses into Brooklyn speak)..I called him, I called him..

The "Boss" sees me at this point with a slight grin on my face and starts glaring at me. I had a weird mind flash- what would saintguru say to this stare? Then I realized immediately I am a coward and walked away.

THIS SHOW HAS TOO MUCH GOLD!!! sheesh!

The budget area was crowded and of course a favorite of the YN crowd.

Wizard is on to something. If franchised, I'm in. Busy, busy, busy. I think it is the Wizard they have walking around and the wizard hats. Very good pricing, too.

I attended 2 book signing events.

Then the ANA meeting. 34 people, not counting the officials.

Highlights: Vote to move Worlds Fair of Money from Indy to Chi.-passed.

Convention Meeting Committee:long report, re. dealer service companies perceptions of ANA shortcomings, i.e. not accepting dealer input, 80% of income from them, ANA at financial risk if doesn't address dealer concerns, notably city selections.

Some of the top selections, in order-Balt., Chi., Boston, NY, Atlanta, SF, Denver, L.A..

Response to questions on internet from members-18,000 were asked to respond and response was fast and tremendous. 90% of responses listed city and services as most important issue and the same 90% picked the 2 cities on the ANA list as the lowest choices.

Suggestions- single floor show, sales tax addressed, affluent collector base, efficient airport and hotel services, security, attractive to families within 250 miles of largest ANA population. NY doesn't fit because no place large enough on one floor (?) and hotels to expensive.

Dealers: what about profit made by ANA on Hotel comps?
    ANA: no profit, but agree this is perception and must be addressed strongly and dealers must be listened to.

Re. dealers leaving early without prior notification- they loose preferred location for 2 shows. Fines not going to work.

Money problems- suggest charging non- ANA members $2 admission.

Gee Whiz booths that draw people moved to greater traffic flow ares in show.

Income spent report? Answer, not easy, lot of problems, will try to improve.

Request from APS for joint show- has merits and will start being explored.

Need to have higher education budget immediately. Lot of support for this.

Collector of the Year Award- no sponsor yet, putting criteria on website, hope to make first Award next year.

Museum report- code of Ethic, security, work with other institutions.

Lot of other reports, YN (heavy support), Library- looking for Chairman.. I didn't stay for Town Hall portion.

Attended 2 Seminars.
    Searching For Chalmers Mint: Mr. Willard Mumford. 14 people attended. Very well done, a lot of artifacts and coins at seminar.

The interesting part was at end of presentation. He stated that he heard Mr.Kraljevich was giving a talk the same evening that Mr. Mumford found the first Chalmers coin. Mr K didn't know about the dig. Mr. M heard Mr. K state at end of talk that to this day no Chalmers coin ever surfaced. Mr. M says- excuse me, I just found this 2 1/2 hrs. ago... After seminar, Mr. M told me that was his one liner of a life time.

2nd seminar: Confessions of a Numismatic Heretic: why you should crack out your certified coins( oh, oh, you can imagine)

Andrew Kimmel was the Speaker

Of all the seminars I attended, this had the most people-33!!! showed up.

Powerful, engaging speaker, courtesy, reason, logic, common sense, very good advice. 10 minutes into the presentation, 1 person stood up and left, shaking his head in such a way that everybody could see. 15 minutes later, 2 more left with less than pleasant agreeable facial expressions.

One interesting question : who sees coins as investment? 5 hands went up. Then: how many of you with hands up are under45? All hands put down.

Compared Holders to Robert Frost looking at the world thru a sheet of ice.

I Attended Auction for lots 2175 to 2470, the Morgan Dollars.

23-27 people in room. 1 strong floor bidder- easily 15% of lots to him. He was a Dealer with table at show.

Majority of sales to the internet.

By my count, 7% of coins didn't sell.

Even so, I assure you Morgans are alive and well, with impressive prices paid.

Most expensive coin sold that I had seen in hand-lot 2404, 1893o MS64PCGS-$42,500- a mail bid!

Toured the Exhibits. Very nice layout, with many enjoyable subjects.

I liked #21 the Trench Art of WWII, #85 the 1858 Pattern Cents, and my favorite, #103, the Medals of Jean Baptiste Daniel- Dupuis.

All were worthwhile seeing.

Then to the U.S MINT, to buy the Mint set. I waited until only 1 customer and the politely asked the eldest person working if I could view 5-6 sets an d pick one. This worked. I only found one, after looking at 7. I don't know about others, but I would have like to see agreater percentage of keepers.

I also bought the DeBakey and Navy Bronze Medals. Very wonderful designs.

Met another collector for a private sale. 45 minutes, but we agreed on a price for it- SL .50C.1879 MS65 PCGS OGH. Very original, have not seen the likes of this coin in 20 years. Mid 5 fig. price and a welcome addition.

Only found 1 dealer supplied coin I liked-ANACS 63 brn 1864 .01c. BR NO L. Bought it. Happy to find such a nice piece so cheap-$40, 4 diamonds, full necklace, lined feathers, full strike.

OK, thats it. Submitted With Respect, John Curlis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file