Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quick question: hypothetical

In your professional opinions--

Which would do better at auction?--

a. Uncut sheet '53 Topps (near mint condition, but un-gradeable in sheet form)--say 20 cards--including the Mantle.....

OR

b. graded '53 Topps Mantle PSA 9

Thanks!
TO

Comments

• Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    Hypothetically, sounds like you are getting the knife out of the sheath as we speak.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Shame on you for even asking that question.

• Options
    TexomaTexoma Posts: 179

<< <i>Hypothetically, sounds like you are getting the knife out of the sheath as we speak. >>

no no! purely hypothetical (sort of)...it doesn't involve a 53 Mantle but a Mantle nonetheless and an uncut sheet (of hand-cuts)...

just trying to make a smart decision

"Measure twice, cut once."--Confuciusimage
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You're comparing apples and idiots.
  • Options

<< <i>You're comparing apples and idiots. >>

See--I think if it's cut right the Mantle's a 9 (maybe higher). But a complete sheet of 20 (including 6 HOFers)--tough call!
  • Options
    YOU make the call!

• Options
    I'd keep it as a sheet.

The Mantle (and in fact all of the cards in the second column) looks O/C right-to-left.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd keep it as a sheet.

The Mantle (and in fact all of the cards in the second column) looks O/C right-to-left. >>

Good observation. I have 4 of the sheets (this is not one of them--this is from a website). I'm pretty sure they all came from the one--and only--run. So every sheet is identical--slightly off center. PSA has graded two Mantles 9. A BSG 8 reportedly went for 3k last year. So if that's the case I don't know if a 9.5 or 10 would even be possible, probably not. The one's I have the background colors (notably the Mantle gold) are darker. The ones I've seen cut everyone tries to split the faux perforations. If I cut one--I'm going outside the perfs to make a "jumbo Mickey."image
  • Options
    Also thiis set was very condition sensitive--the back cover of a magazine.
  • Options
    Just my opinion, Don't do it!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>Just my opinion, Don't do it! >>

That's what my wife says!

Thanks guys--a lot--I think I was about to do something stupid (which I have a history of). Greed--one of the 7 deadly sins. But it would be cool to have the no. 1 Mantle of any set, but I guess what we're saying is the chances of that with an off center sheet is pretty remote. These sheets are 8 X 11-- perfect for framing. One of these would look good (to me!) in a Mastro catalog. The set turns 50 next year. That shot from Mantle looks young, maybe '51-'53. Man--does he look locked in or what.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    53 Topps?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    It will look real nice all framed up lookin pretty, good choice!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>53 Topps?

Steve >>

'59 Oklahoma Major Leaguers (heavy stock back cover, Oklahoma Today magazine)

• Options

real deal--staple holes too!
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    FWIW . . . I had a copy of the magazine for 4-5 years, paid @ $400 for it at a show. As might be expected of a near-50 year old magazine, there were a few corner dings on the back cover, and a bit of scuffing. I'd watched sales of similar-condition copies consistently end around the $250-450 mark. A year or so back, I cut the back cover into singles and sold them on eBay. IIRC, the Mantle went for around $500, with the others totaling about $400. All were sold raw and many could only be called EX, with a few just making Good.
  • Options

<< <i>FWIW . . . I had a copy of the magazine for 4-5 years, paid @ $400 for it at a show. As might be expected of a near-50 year old magazine, there were a few corner dings on the back cover, and a bit of scuffing. I'd watched sales of similar-condition copies consistently end around the $250-450 mark. A year or so back, I cut the back cover into singles and sold them on eBay. IIRC, the Mantle went for around $500, with the others totaling about $400. All were sold raw and many could only be called EX, with a few just making Good. >>

Here's a perfect example why "not to cut." I was thinking the same thing this person did--cut outside the perforations ("Jumbo" Mickey)--but it still only graded a 6. Interesting only two PSA Registry Mantle Master sets (#'s 1 and 2, out of 40 all time) include this card. But like my wife said--sell them as sheets--let somebody else worry with "making the cut."

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>FWIW . . . I had a copy of the magazine for 4-5 years, paid @ $400 for it at a show. As might be expected of a near-50 year old magazine, there were a few corner dings on the back cover, and a bit of scuffing. I'd watched sales of similar-condition copies consistently end around the $250-450 mark. A year or so back, I cut the back cover into singles and sold them on eBay. IIRC, the Mantle went for around $500, with the others totaling about $400. All were sold raw and many could only be called EX, with a few just making Good. >>

Here's a perfect example why "not to cut." I was thinking the same thing this person did--cut outside the perforations ("Jumbo" Mickey)--but it still only graded a 6. Interesting only two PSA Registry Mantle Master sets (#'s 1 and 2, out of 40 all time) include this card. But like my wife said--sell them as sheets--let somebody else worry with "making the cut."

image >>

Could they have made more waves when they cut that one??
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    COOL PIECE...

• Options

<< <i>COOL PIECE...

image >>

Very nice--did your uncle work at the Topps plant?image
  • Options
    Speaking of sheets....Here's one I hope to get one day. All Black Box.
    If cut up, you would get about $11

imageimageimage