Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do You Recognize this CSA Token?? -- Would Appreciate Feedback

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you recognize this CSA token, I would appreciate whatever information you may be able to provide. It's appears to be a very modern token (or medal) striking with smooth edge in a white metal that resembles silver in color and density.

Thanks in advance for your replies and your assistance with this!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a similar modern die strike, yet the details are not as refined as in the original 1861 CSA 50C strikes or the Scott Token re-strikes.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The style of the side with the flag is definitely modern.

It does look silver, though.

How big? Half dollar size or silver round size?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    << How big? Half dollar size or silver round size? >>

Rob: In reply to your above quoted question, this token is 34mm in diameter, just a few mm smaller in diameter than a U.S. Silver Dollar. Thus the size is in between the size of a U.S. Half Dollar and a U.S. Silver Dollar.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dixie Gun Works was selling these a few years ago in their catalogue, and I bought a couple of them. They are nickel coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SaorAlba: The metal color appears more like silver than nickel.

Stuart

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those were made circa 1961-1965 during the Civil War centennial years for sale as souvenirs at battlefield sites and tourist attractions. I believe they are German Silver (copper-nickel-zinc).
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    This is part of a series of 8 Civil War Medals that were sold wholesale by a company from Minnesota through the 1970's. I believe the outfits name was Wendells. Some of the other designs, Lincoln(of course), Jeff Davis, Robert E Lee, etc. I remember buying a set when I was a kid in upstate NY, the medals sold for $1 each or $5 for the whole set, hope this helps a little.
    buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SaorAlba: The metal color appears more like silver than nickel. >>

I have several of them and they are non-magnetic nickel.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file