Home Sports Talk
Options

CONFRIMED: Manny to LAD, Bay to BOS

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Just announced on the local radio station but nothing online yet....

UPDATED:

SI link

Boston Globe extra bases link

CBS Sportsline

Boston fans going nuts on globe forums <- some great reading
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I've heard that he's been traded as well . . . the Globe has it on their web site, but no details on where or for what. I did read that Bay went to LA so maybe a 3-way deal?
  • Options
    It's on SI now.
  • Options
    Per CNNSI.com

<< <i>The Red Sox traded Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers late Thursday afternoon, SI.com has learned >>

edited: update

<< <i>Jason Bay is headed to Boston as part of the deal, SI.com has learned. >>

Edited again: another update

<< <i>The Pirates will get four minor leaguers in the three-way trade.

The Red Sox went back-and-forth with the Marlins and Dodgers as the 4 p.m. ET deadline approached. Ramirez said earlier today, as first reported by SI.com, that he would accept a trade to any team.

The announcement will be made in conjunction with a World Baseball Classic announcement at Dodger Stadium shortly. >>

DEVELOPING...............

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are talking about it on NESN.

I like that he is going to the Dodgers -- less chance he will have of making it to the WS. Have fun, Joe Torre!!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    boston.com has been up and down most of the last hour.
    Can't find details!!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Dodgers, where overweight outfielders go to die. Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez, whos next?
  • Options
    Haha! I didn't even think of Manny having to play for Torre. That's a funny thought.
  • Options

<< <i>boston.com has been up and down most of the last hour.
    Can't find details!! >>

It's been timing out for the past 15 minutes and just got on extra bases (starting at 11 EST for those who are interested, from top to bottom):

extra bases

Manny traded
    Link|Comments (0) Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff July 31, 2008 04:19 PM
    The Globe's Gordon Edes just reported that a deal has gone down with Manny Ramirez. Nick Cafardo reported that the Dodgers were Manny's believed landing spot.

Cafardo also reported that he thinks the Red Sox may have landed Jason Bay from the Pirates as part of a three-team deal between the Red Sox, Pirates, and Dodgers.

SI.com is also reporting that Manny has been dealt to the Dodgers, with the Pirates getting four minor leaguers in the three-way trade.

It's 4:01 p.m. ...
    Link|Comments (0) Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff July 31, 2008 04:00 PM
    ... do you know if Manny Ramirez is still a member of the Red Sox? Neither do we ... but you will as soon as we know.

From the Associated Press:

The deadline for the Red Sox to trade Manny Ramirez has passed, without word of any deal that would move the disgruntled outfielder out of Boston.

A three-team trade that would have sent Ramirez to the Florida Marlins appeared to have fallen apart before the 4 p.m. deadline Thursday. In exchange, Boston reportedly would have received outfielder Jason Bay from Pittsburgh.

The Red Sox did not immediately comment on Ramirez's future. Teams sometimes announce trades after the deadline has passed.

Ramirez increased his criticism of the Red Sox on Wednesday, saying the team did not deserve him.

But Boston, aware of the slugger's ability and his role on two championship teams, wanted to get a player or players who could help in the final two months of the season.

Stop the presses ...
    Link|Comments (0) Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff July 31, 2008 03:51 PM
    ... looks like that Jason Bay-to-Tampa Bay deal isn't a done deal after all. MLB.com is backing off a bit from an earlier report. Here's the latest from Jenifer Langosch

"Updating an earlier blog entry, there are conflicting reports about whether or not Bay will in fact be headed to Tampa Bay.

"A short while ago, a source in Pittsburgh corroborated an earlier MLB.com report that Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is likely to be traded to the Rays before 4 p.m. ET this afternoon. As reported earlier, the Pirates are believed to be satisifed with taking shortstop Reid Brignac and pitcher Jeff Niemann in exchange for Bay.

"However, it could be a little more complicated that that. According to another industry source in Pittsburgh, the Rays still are not believed to be offering both Brignac and Niemann. One, it is not known which, is deemed unavailable, along with Wade Davis, David Price and Jeremy Hellickson. A third baseball source also confirmed that no deal sending Bay to Tampa Bay is done as of 15 minutes prior to the deadline.

Bay to Tampa Bay?
    Link|Comments (0) Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff July 31, 2008 03:28 PM
    If this report is correct, the proposed three-way trade between the Red Sox, Marlins and Pirates involving Manny Ramirez, in which the Red Sox would get outfielder Jason Bay, would likely be dead.

Here's the report from MLB.com's Bill Chastain:

"With the three-way deal between the Pirates, Red Sox, and Marlins falling through, an MLB.com source says that the Rays are going to acquire right-handed hitting outfielder Jason Bay for Minor League prospects including shortstop Reid Brignac and right-hander Jeff Niemann. The Rays have not confirmed the deal."

Deal 'unlikely'
    Link|Comments (0) Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff July 31, 2008 03:24 PM
    Looks like, according to a Red Sox source, that a three-way deal for Manny Ramirez will not happen. The Red Sox also offered two prospects in the deal -- which would have sent Manny to Florida and Jason Bay to Boston -- but still couldn't make it work.

However, the Sox are still trying to make a deal for Manny. The Dodgers are in play.

Count out LA
    Link|Comments (0) Posted by Gordon Edes, Globe Staff July 31, 2008 03:05 PM
    It's looking like the Red Sox are not engaged with the Dodgers in any talks regarding Manny Ramirez.

Dodgers in play, too
    Link|Comments (1) Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff July 31, 2008 02:32 PM
    Things just got more interesting ... the Dodgers are still in play as well on Manny. Stay tuned, an hour and a half until the deadline.

Red Sox still trying to make it work
    Link|Comments (2) Posted by Gordon Edes, Globe Staff July 31, 2008 02:18 PM
    Less than 2 hours before the trading deadline, the Red Sox were still trying to make this 3-way deal with the Pirates and Marlins work, but as one source said, "They're not going to be stupid about it." At the moment, the deal would require the Red Sox to include prospects as well as Manny Ramirez and the $7 million remaining on his 2008 salary, a price the Sox appear unwilling to pay at this time.

Another industry source said within the last 10 minutes that he thinks talks will go down to the 4 p.m. deadline.

That's all for now ...

Not buying reports that deal is 'dead'
    Link|Comments (4) Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff July 31, 2008 02:06 PM
    Reports are beginning to surface that the three-way deal for Manny Ramirez is dead or close to dead, but I’m not buying it. The same snags exist now that existed this morning, and there’s still time to work them out before the 4 p.m. deadline.

Also, according to a source, Manny is spending the day shopping in Boston, relaxing and waiting like the rest of us. He is anxious to learn where he may be playing Friday.

Reports: Manny would OK deal
    Link|Comments (5) Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff July 31, 2008 01:06 PM
    According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, Manny Ramirez will agree to waive his right to block a trade should the Red Sox and Marlins agree to a deal. No deal has been agreed upon as of yet, and in fact Gammons also reported that, according to a source close to the talks, the three-way deal between the Sox, Marlins, and Pirates is close to dead.

From Gammons: "Florida has reportedly asked Boston for a cash outlay beyond the $7 million to cover Ramirez's contract, in addition to two prospects. That essentially would add up to the Red Sox trading Ramirez, $9 million and two prospects for Jason Bay."

SI.com's Jon Heyman also has similar information, with the addition that Manny would accept a deal to any team. Here's his report:

"Ramirez has approved a trade to go to Florida, Philadelphia, Los Angels or anywhere else, SI.com has learned. In return for Ramirez signing off on a deal, the acquiring team will agree to drop the two club options for $20-million apiece for 2009 and '10 in his current deal."

Manny this morning: 'Nobody has called me'
    Link|Comments (9) Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff July 31, 2008 12:35 PM
    A few noteworthy tidbits from ESPN to pass along, including some comments from Manny this morning and a report that "progress is being made" toward a deal.

"Nobody has called me from Boston, and neither has my agent [Scott Boras]," Ramírez told ESPNdeportes.com. "The only thing I know of a possible trade is what I've seen in ESPN."

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, citing an executive involved in the conversations regarding Ramirez, reported that progress is being made. The feeling is momentum is building toward completion of a deal.

Some commentary from Olney, on ESPN: "If he's not traded by 4 p.m. today, there's a 1 percent chance that he finishes the year with the Red Sox. This has gotten so ugly," said Olney, referencing Ramirez's recent trade demands and lackadiasical play.
  • Options
    That will make for some good commercials!
  • Options
    Thanks for the help Stown!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stown thank you for the updates- every single one of those blogs had legs to them! image
  • Options
    More from link above

The Red Sox will also lose Craig Hansen and Brandon Moss as part of the deal. Here are the names involved:

To Red Sox
    Jason Bay

To Dodgers
    Manny Ramirez

To Pirates
    Craig Hansen (from Red Sox)
    Brandon Moss (from Red Sox)
    Andy LaRoche (from Dodgers)
    Bryan Morris (from Dodgers)

SI.com reported that the Red Sox got the OK from Ramirez, who would have had the rights to veto any deal. From SI.com: "He signed off on the paperwork, contingent upon the two $20-million team options for 2009 and '10 being dropped. The move will set the stage for Ramirez to become a free agent this winter."

edited to add additional update on si link

Posted: Thursday July 31, 2008 12:19AM; Updated: Thursday July 31, 2008 4:57PM
    Manny traded to Dodgers, Bay headed to Boston Story Highlights
    Ramirez spent 8 1/2 seasons in Boston
    He was the MVP of the 2004 World Series and helped Boston win in '07 as well

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Red Sox traded embattled slugger Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers late Thursday afternoon, SI.com has learned.

Jason Bay is headed to Boston as part of the deal, SI.com has learned. Pittsburgh gets pitcher Craig Hansen and outfielder Brandon Moss, both from Boston, as well as third baseman Andy LaRoche and right-handed pitcher Bryan Morris from the Dodgers.

The Red Sox went back-and-forth with the Marlins and Dodgers as the 4 p.m. ET deadline approached. Ramirez said earlier today, as first reported by SI.com, that he would accept a trade to any team.

The announcement will be made in conjunction with a World Baseball Classic announcement at Dodger Stadium shortly.

The Red Sox approached Ramirez in advance of their negotiations, and got his OK. The Red Sox are paying the $7 million remaining on Ramirez's $20 million salary for this year. The two $20 million club options for each of the next two seasons were dropped, which will allow Ramirez to become a free agent this winter.

Dodgers manager Joe Torre loved Ramirez from Torre's days managing the Yankees.

The Phillies were also rumored to be involved in trade discussions for Manny earlier in this week.

Dealing such a productive and clutch player is a major risk, but some people in Boston believe the Red Sox finally reached their breaking point regarding Ramirez, who criticized upper management in recent days, then came under fire for not playing the first game of a recent series against the rival Yankees.
  • Options
    +1 for Stown
    -1 for the news image
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Sox were desperate for Manny to get out. I mean, 3 players for Jason Bay?
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, know matter HOW you spin it, Jason Bay is no Manny Ramirez.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, know matter HOW you spin it, Jason Bay is no Manny Ramirez. >>

Agreed, but the negative enviroment in the clubhouse is something that needed to be addressed and the more I think of it we are better off now, I hate seeing Manny go but maybe this will jump start us and get us back on track.
  • Options

And thank God for that. Now we can play some baseball in Boston again.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

The greatest hitter of all time against the Yankees traded to another league imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manny's antics essentially forced the Red Sox to get the short end of the stick by having to pay Manny's salary. Some of the Red Sox radio guys think Boras may have engineered some of this (having Manny act up to force the trade), which would not surprise me. Douchebag.

Boras should not expect to re-sign the .220 hitting Varitek to more than $5 million per year, either.
  • Options
    Not one of you guys has said anything positive about who you're getting back--where's the love for Jay Bay???
    Although not in Manny's league offensively, Jason is a massive uprade defensively and he steals the odd bag (should reach double digits for the third time in his career this year). Also, it's been a while since Manny slugged .650, even .600, these guys could end up having pretty similar stats now that Manny's in that massive graveyard of a ballpark (and he's getting up there guys). As well, Bay's locked in next year for just 7.5 which is pocket change nowadays, and this will save the Sox AT LEAST 12.5 mil to sign someone else (or a couple of guys). Give the guy a chance, he won't let you down. I know you Bean-towners don't like Canadians after last years Gagne experiment gone wrong, but it looks like us guys up north could be well represented in the playoffs this year (Bay in Boston and the big-2 up in Chicago, Harden and Dempster). Let's go Sox/Cubs WS!
    Jay
  • Options
    Hey toysguy...

I just noticed your avatar and never noticed you on the sports card talk...do you ever visit there? If not, do you mind if i use your avatar, Vladdy is my man!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Jason Bay is a future HOF!

Sincerely,
    Canada

not
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

At least Bay will give a damn more than once a week...
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    The Red Sox just picked up Jason Bay in Pittsburgh. Jason can't produce like Manny, but he's about as good as it gets in Pittsburgh. I get sick about it every year when the Pirates have their Summer yard sale.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>
    And thank God for that. Now we can play some baseball in Boston again. >>

really .... Manny did help you win two World Series. Sox fans have always been real eager to forget when players leave. Has been like that for years. I can't say I blame you too much with the way Manny has been MORE then Manny lately image

Boston is a WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY town just as much as New York image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    A week and a half ago I would have been upset to see Manny leave, but he gave up on the Red Sox before the fans gave up on him. (Notice I didn't say before the Red Sox gave up on him.) I'm sorry, but when your team is getting no-hit at home and you don't care enough about it to run out a ground ball, you've got no heart and no team pride. It's a shame that it came to this because he was a huge asset to the Red Sox for 8 years. Unfortunately, in the end he was more committed to becoming a liability than he was to being a great hitter and teammate.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>A week and a half ago I would have been upset to see Manny leave, but he gave up on the Red Sox before the fans gave up on him. (Notice I didn't say before the Red Sox gave up on him.) I'm sorry, but when your team is getting no-hit at home and you don't care enough about it to run out a ground ball, you've got no heart and no team pride. It's a shame that it came to this because he was a huge asset to the Red Sox for 8 years. Unfortunately, in the end he was more committed to becoming a liability than he was to being a great hitter and teammate. >>

I agree with this completely. It's been said already, but given the circumstances, this is about as good as we were going to get. And given the fact that Bay's numbers are so similar to Manny's (plus he plays better defense) and he's under contract next year for 7.5M (12.5M cheaper than another year of Manny), I'll take it.

Of course Bay is not Manny Ramirez. No one is. But we also traded Nomar back in 2004 in a similar type deal. That year turned out okay for us.
  • Options
    Jerry,

Nomar was never really that good. One season? yeah .... ok ...

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Dodgers, where overweight outfielders go to die. Andruw Jones, Manny Ramirez, whos next? >>

You are correct, but the Dodgers really needed a bat with power in the lineup and Torre seems through with Jones for the year. I guess the Dodgers will end up platooning Ethier and Pierre and Jones will remain a bench player.

From listening to ESPN radio yesterday, they were saying Boston will eat Manny's last 7mill for the year and they said the big part of the deal was the Dodgers made an agreement with Manny to not pick up his option at years end. That will allow Manny to test free agency next year. I'm happy the Dodgers didn't have to give up too much. I've never been a fan of trading to get a player for a couple of months, but the Dodgers have not had any post season success since '88.

Will Manny end up in pinstripes next year???? lol
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    STUPID deal, another COMPLETE blunder by Theo Epstein trying to show he has a big weinie. Manny is a child, you all know Boras is truly behind this. The dust would have settled in a week it two, and they could have gotten another superstar for Manny. This all but kills our WS chances.

Sincerely,

RSN
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

• Options
    You forgot the best one!

• Options

<< <i>Jerry,

Nomar was never really that good. One season? yeah .... ok ... >>

Dan, I'm not sure what you meant here. You think Nomar was only good for one season? From 1997 to 2002, he was one of the best players in baseball. I know it seems like forever ago, and he really crashed and burned, but check his stats if you don't remember that.
  • Options
    Agreed! Nomar was always mentioned as one of the Superstars during that time frame.

How ironic is it that Manny's roster spot on the Dodgers came available when they put Nomar on the DL?
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Agreed! Nomar was always mentioned as one of the Superstars during that time frame.

How ironic is it that Manny's roster spot on the Dodgers came available when they put Nomar on the DL? >>

Yes it's strange the way things work out. I wish Nomar could stay healthy. He's always been one of my favorite players.
  • Options

<< <i>

Dan, I'm not sure what you meant here. . >>

That's ok. The rest of the civilized world doesn't understand what comes out of this mouth either. image
  • Options

<< <i>Jerry,

BRILLIANT ! image
  • Options

<< <i>You forgot the best one!

image >>

• Options
    Perk,

What is the meaning behind that ?
  • Options

<< <i>STUPID deal, >>

Bay and Manny's stats are similar going forward. Manny is aging, Bay is still young.
    The playoffs still come down to pitching. I'd be much more upset if we lost Dice-K, Beckett, or Lester then losing a guy
    who is bad for team moral. I think Theo did ok in my book.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jerry,

Dan, I'm not sure what you meant here. You think Nomar was only good for one season? From 1997 to 2002, he was one of the best players in baseball. I know it seems like forever ago, and he really crashed and burned, but check his stats if you don't remember that. >>

So you expect me to follow up on a OK player who was good for a short time frame for the Sox, and all of you berated Yankee fans about Nomar being the SUPERIOR player yet still have to listen to your mind boggling way off base rants about Derek Jeter who IS STILL that great player?

nah ... I don't think so image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jerry,

BRILLIANT ! image >>

And so is your STUPID signature ya MORON. Well, maybe that is a tad bit strong, at least you had the smarts to LOSE the stupid Ted Williams icon image after you berated Yankee fans for having the balls to remember anything more then five years ago.

IDIOT image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>STUPID deal, >>

Bay and Manny's stats are similar going forward. Manny is aging, Bay is still young.
    The playoffs still come down to pitching. I'd be much more upset if we lost Dice-K, Beckett, or Lester then losing a guy
    who is bad for team moral. I think Theo did ok in my book. >>

Aside for Boras making Manny into an idiot, he was great for the morale, always laughing and causing trouble in the dugout. He made me laugh more than anyone else on the team for christ's sake! Sorry but Bay's stats are NL where the pitching is mediocre at best, where Manny's are in the AL which the pitching is far superb. Again "who's weine was bigger" and John Henry won by a car length image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Jerry,

Dan, I'm not sure what you meant here. You think Nomar was only good for one season? From 1997 to 2002, he was one of the best players in baseball. I know it seems like forever ago, and he really crashed and burned, but check his stats if you don't remember that. >>

So you expect me to follow up on a OK player who was good for a short time frame for the Sox, and all of you berated Yankee fans about Nomar being the SUPERIOR player yet still have to listen to your mind boggling way off base rants about Derek Jeter who IS STILL that great player?

nah ... I don't think so image >>

No - Nomar wasn't just an "OK" player during that time. He was probably the best SS in baseball not named Alex Rodriguez (yes, better than your boy Jeter) but he definitely fell apart health-wise somewhere during the 2003 season.

We will agree to disagree on Jeter ever being great - I think you know how I feel about that. image
  • Options

<< <i>

nah ... I don't think so image >>

I think what we're actually getting at is that we actually don't understand what it is you were trying to communicate about the "one year" comment . . . not that we disagree with you (although we probably do).
  • Options

<< <i> We will agree to disagree on Jeter ever being great - I think you know how I feel about that. image >>

I admit I was off base about the "one year" comment. How about ....NOT FOR A LONG TIME Is that better? image

Jerry, your thoughts on Jeter are biased in every way because he is a New York Yankee. Nothing more and nothing less. IF Jeter was a Boston Red Sox and had even the smallest chance to eclipse 3,500 hits there would be NOT A WORD from you about his overhyped "bad" defense. So spare me will you? Name me all the Boston Red SOx players in their history that got even close to 3,000 hits. Go ahead .... this should be interesting image

• Options

<< <i>

I think what we're actually getting at is that we actually don't understand what it is you were trying to communicate about the "one year" comment . . . not that we disagree with you (although we probably do). >>

I believe that Atlantic City has lost its village idiot image
  • Options

<< <i>

Manny was great for the morale, always laughing and causing trouble in the dugout. image >>

If Manny was so great for morale, then why did the veteran players say to Francona that he should go ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Manny was great for the morale, always laughing and causing trouble in the dugout. image >>

If Manny was so great for morale, then why did the veteran players say to Francona that he should go ? >>

hearsay
  • Options
    Will edmund EVER explain his MORONIC sig? I am waiting for him to count how many rings any retired Sox player has. If he can coun that high image
    It safe to say the Sox contingent here as its own village idiot image