Why didnt I get a memo? >>

Mebbe they don't like you??image
  • It sounds like it........

Looking for Au Classic Commems...
    Also looking for VF-EF Seated halves.

Sell me your old auction catalogs...image
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    no problem...cac would step up
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    There would be no change for me except maybe coins would be a little cheaper.

I have 2 sets listed that when complete will have a total of 25 coins. Not just a real big player in the Registry game. image

Mike
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    I think it would affect plastic collectors more than coin collectors
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • I would guess that the moon money prices for most Moderns would fall thru the basement floor...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't participate in it and it's doing fine without me.
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I see a few things happening:

1. Stupid prices for modern crap would end.
    2. Stupid prices for low ball common crap would end
    3. Coin collectors will go about their business as usual
    4. Registry set participants would find another outlet for their competitiveness.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    not much really. i bet that some series, the people who buy the
    coins would not care one tiny bit.
  • Not all registry set collectors are competitive. I will say though that my post is by far the most interesting one in this thread.
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

the first thing that would happen would be that Griv would go postal, more than he generally does.

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    "Not all registry set collectors are competitive"...that be me as i can't afford to compete
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not all registry set collectors are competitive. I will say though that my post is by far the most interesting one in this thread. >>

image The second half of your post struck me as the funniest, so far.
  • So far? I may need to upgrade my joke!
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The registry sets very often do not include many, if any, of the top collections in the series. Look at Bust Half Dollar variety registry sets. Except for the top few sets, I know of many collectors with sets that would be next in line. Bust Half Dollar collectors don't seemed to be involved much in registry sets.

If PCGS and NGC discontinued registry sets, it would make no difference to me. Perhaps ANACS would step up and start their own registry set, allowing PCGS and NGC coins in their program. Bet it would give ANACS some crossover business. Why registry a PCGS 50, when it would likely go 55 or 58 with ANACS?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I am not entered into the Registry.I do not own any MS or PR 70 coins.Some of my coins do not qualify for the PCGS Registry...eg.(mixed TPG)
    So your question is .....

<< <i>If PCGS and NGC discontinued Registry sets....What would happen to the coin market?? >>

I think it will survive ...because of tele-sales such as Hertage and the Bay and Teletrade.If they continue with such high grading then collectors will persue those grades on the label.
    ......Larry........image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would hurt some markets more than others. The high grade modern market would be hurt more than the circulated classic coin market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    One thing that would happen is the Registry Set folks would have a lot harder time finding that "bigger fool" to sell to when it comes time for them to dump their high grade pocket change.
    Of course the high grade rare coins will always have buyers lined up.

Ray
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    They would never discountine them. Its a tool for the TPG's to motivate collectors to have coins put in their slab versus' their competitor's. Also a form of advertisting for the TPGs.
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << If PCGS and NGC discontinued Registry sets >>

The bottom would open up, but not fall out, of the slabbed coin market. Smoeone with intelligence and money would buy up all the slabs while prices are low then they would start thier own registry and reap the profits from selling thier hoard.

• << <i>They would never discountine them. Its a tool for the TPG's to motivate collectors to have coins put in their slab versus' their competitor's. Also a form of advertisting for the TPGs. >>

Never??
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not all registry set collectors are competitive. >>

Bingo. I'm one of them. I use the registry as a convenient place to display some of my collection online. That's all.
  • I dunno but I just crossed over 3 ANACS buffalo nickels in order to get them into my NGC registry set
    probably wouldn't have done it if they discontinued the registry
    Stars&Stripes
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A private, internet-based company might some day step up to the plate and start hosting online Registry sets where coins in all kinds of holders could be counted- maybe even raw coins. The company would get its revenue (at least initially) from advertisers, and possibly by offering photography services on coins at shows. An interesting business idea indeed. Can someone make this profitable?

• << <i>A private, internet-based company might some day step up to the plate and start hosting online Registry sets where coins in all kinds of holders could be counted- maybe even raw coins. The company would get its revenue (at least initially) from advertisers, and possibly by offering photography services on coins at shows. An interesting business idea indeed. Can someone make this profitable? >>

Sounds plausible to me.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A private, internet-based company might some day step up to the plate and start hosting online Registry sets where coins in all kinds of holders could be counted- maybe even raw coins. The company would get its revenue (at least initially) from advertisers, and possibly by offering photography services on coins at shows. An interesting business idea indeed. Can someone make this profitable? >>

it is the type of project i could code up in a week for a rough working example.
    another week to add jazzy pictures and graphics. the trouble would be that
    you need to keep your bandwidth costs down and i suppose people would expect
    to be able to host their pictures there in large sizes.

advertising revenue could cope but making it worthwhile is doubtful on the money
    side.

take a bboard for example. if you can make that successful all you are slinging around
    is text and tiny pics while getting tons of page hits. a registry set would use 100s of megabytes
    if someone viewed all the pics and get only a handful of page views compared to a bboard.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I see a few things happening:

1. Stupid prices for modern crap would end. >>

True!

<< <i> 2. Stupid prices for low ball common crap would end >>

True!

<< <i> 3. Coin collectors will go about their business as usual >>

True!

<< <i> 4. Registry set participants would find another outlet for their competitiveness. >>

You might see some lawsuits flying and perhaps a few, from a 98th floor window!

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Not all registry set collectors are competitive"...that be me as i can't afford to compete >>

I can't either but that doesn't say the FIB Jefferson Nickel collection isn't the greatest set out there to own.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>

<< <i>A private, internet-based company might some day step up to the plate and start hosting online Registry sets where coins in all kinds of holders could be counted- maybe even raw coins. The company would get its revenue (at least initially) from advertisers, and possibly by offering photography services on coins at shows. An interesting business idea indeed. Can someone make this profitable? >>

Sounds plausible to me. >>

Maybe even stickerin' all types of top TPG coins and include them into one Registry.Maybe a chatline....a coin forum and maybe a open forum too........!!!!....NAH.....!!!!!
    ......Who would do such a thing.....?!?!?!?....
    ......Larry........image

• << <i>Not all registry set collectors are competitive. I will say though that my post is by far the most interesting one in this thread. >>

I use my registry sets more for inventory on my slabbed coins. I could care less if I were first or last.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Sounds plausible to me. >>

Maybe even stickerin' all types of top TPG coins and include them into one Registry.Maybe a chatline....a coin forum and maybe a open forum too........!!!!]/b]....NAH.....!!!!!
    ......Who would do such a thing.....?!?!?!?....
    image >>

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Never ever ever gonna happen. Most submissions are modern coins, its the business that keeps them in business. The registry drives the modern market. Look at the publicly released financial statements and you will see there are some large submitters of modern coinage for grading that make up a not insignificant per centage of sales. You don't have to be a sharp businessman to realize the registry is too important a marketing tool to dispense with.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say good by to this board and the one ATS at the same time. That market is what pays for this.
  • EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If PCGS and NGC discontinued Registry sets >>

PCGS and NGC would probably be discontinued.
    ED
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If PCGS and NGC discontinued Registry sets >>

PCGS and NGC would probably be discontinued. >>

So what's the downside?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see a few things happening:

1. Stupid prices for modern crap would end.
    2. Stupid prices for low ball common crap would end
    3. Coin collectors will go about their business as usual
    4. Registry set participants would find another outlet for their competitiveness. >>

Hit the nail on the head on all four countsimage
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    Just for fun, I put together a short set of Buffalos (34-38) across the street, and wound up at #14 (mostly 66's, with a few 65's and 67's). Cost me about $4,000. Seeing no point in trying to go higher for $XXXX, I gave it up, and sold them for about the same money I put in. I guess you gotta have a competitive drive (and deep pockets) to do that sort of thing.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you naysayers don't have to participate, right?
    Doug
  • Hmmmm
    -Rome is Burning

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps people would start focusing more on the eye appeal of coins, rather than their grade... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If PCGS and NGC discontinued Registry sets,

I guess I would stop looking at the registries every month or so.
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    If PCGS discontinued their registry sets I guess I would save a fair amount of $ in grading fees since I
    would submit about 80-85% less coins to them (since my submissions are mostly high grade modern
    circulation strike issues.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file