Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

antiques roadshow 1958 unopened cello packs !!

Here is the link from the appraisal they have (had) 312 unopened packs ! this was also 2006

link

Here is the transcript from the appraisal.

Appraisal Transcript: GUEST: My father had a small grocery store and one year at Christmas decided to sell toys for kids. And he had a collection of football cards, Lionel trains and just a lot of different toys. And when he passed away, my mother put these away for future grandchildren.

APPRAISER: So what we're talking about here are unopened packs of 1958 Topps football cards.

GUEST: I believe so.

APPRAISER: And now, I know I'm the type of kid, when I have an unopened pack-- at least when I did-- I'd have to open it. I couldn't keep it. So the fact that these survived is pretty interesting.

GUEST: My mom had them, like, in a shoebox, and then when we acquired them, we put them in a safe deposit box, because we didn't want to open them.

APPRAISER: Well, these are what is known as cello packs, because they're wrapped in cellophane. They had more cards in them than the regular wax packs that kids would buy for a penny or a nickel. These had more cards in them, and subsequently, they were more expensive. Today, finding unopened anything from the 1950s is exceedingly rare.

GUEST: Really?

APPRAISER: Now, I see we have some condition issues on a couple of these. Sometimes the cellophane, over the years, is cracked and opened, and that happens. But there are others that are just...

GUEST: Pristine.

APPRAISER: Yeah, they're pristine. And that again is amazing that they've somehow survived all this time. When people collect unopened packs, they look for a number of things. Condition, of course, is paramount. But also, who's on the pack, because when you're dealing with a cello pack, you can see who's on top and who's on the bottom. In this sampling here, we have Johnny Unitas.

GUEST: Right.

APPRAISER: You know, you don't get much better than that guy. And then you have Bart Starr, another star. So pieces like that have a premium.

GUEST: Right.

APPRAISER: Now, how many of these do you have?

GUEST: We have 312 packs.

APPRAISER: 312 packs.

GUEST: Correct.

APPRAISER: Well, I would say that constitutes a find. In sports collecting terms, that's like a Holy Grail type thing. Football cards are very, very collectible, especially 1958. There's all these great stars in the set. If I were to estimate one single pack at auction... okay, I would estimate it between $500 and $1,000 for one pack.

GUEST: Oh, my.

APPRAISER: So what we have here on the table is at least $3,000 to $6,000.

GUEST: Wow.

APPRAISER: Now, 1958 had Jim Brown's rookie card in it. If you have one with Jim Brown in it, that could go for several thousand dollars.

GUEST: Oh, my.

APPRAISER: So we're talking about a heck of a find.

GUEST: Yes.

APPRAISER: And I know all the card collectors out there who are watching this are salivating, you know. This is a dream come true. Thanks for coming today.

GUEST: Thank you so much. You're kidding.

APPRAISER: I'm not kidding.

GUEST (chuckling): Oh, my goodness. Wow. I didn't know what I had

Comments

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty crazy. Each pack is worth a few thousand now. I'm sure she has a few "10's" too.
  • Options
    Any idea what happened to these?
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is pretty crazy. Each pack is worth a few thousand now. I'm sure she has a few "10's" too. >>

A few thousand? Sounds like a bit much.
  • Options
    Yea, those packs have been trickling into the hobby at around $500-700 per pack
  • Options
    Some were sold in a Heritage auction in 2006 I believe.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    It would be awesome just to have one pack, but 312 WOW.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    they sold a large lot (70 I think) in heritage a that averaged 232 a pack. it would have gone higher but that was the night they had system glitches and the whole auction ended instead of the 30 minute rule kicking in then they turned the auction back on and I am sure they lost bids . I was outbid at 12:29 and the auction ended at 12:30 , needless to say I was fuming!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think they would have gone for more had that lady not told everyone she had 312 packs too!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Since the owner knew that the paks were unquestionably legit this then makes things simple. He jumps on a plane to Gai and hand submits the 312 paks to be graded at bulk rate of $8 each (100 pak minimum). A month later he jumps back on a plane and picks up the slabbed paks. Then he submits 5 paks at a time to each auction that Mastro, Memorylane & Milehigh has until the paks are exhausted. The owner would of probably netted around $200,000. Instead it looks like he most likely dumped them raw on lower-end auction houses like ebay and Heritage where they wouldn't have done near as well. Memorylane bidders are notorious for paying big bucks on rare certified vintage '50's era material. When you come into that kind of quality material you really got to do your homework and get top dollar and not give them away so to speak...
    As a footnote Steve Hart at the BBCE currently has on his website a few of these '58 cellos that are now housed in PSA 7 & 8 holders and he is asking between $800 & $900 each--Steve knows how to get top dollar for rare items.
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp