Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What are your favorite cheap boxes to rip?

Must be under $10/box to qualify...

Mine are:

1983 & 1985 Donruss Action All-Stars
1984 & 1985 Topps Supers (just bought three 1984 boxes for $12)
1988 Topps Big Baseball
1989 Donruss Pop-Ups
1992 Score Pinnacle (all sports)
1992 Upper Deck Baseball
1993 Donruss Baseball

Comments

• 1988 Donruss Leaf.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1988 Donruss Leaf. >>

Really? Have any gradable Carlton Fisk card from that set? They're tough ones.
  • Eeesh. I don't even know. They can still be had for $5 a box at shows up here. There were so many of them. I haven't even been paying attention to them when I've ripped them for kicks. I'd have to check.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • 1991 Fleer Ultra football, 1992 Donruss Baseball, 1991 Upper Deck Football, 1991 Score Football
  • I just bought a box of 1997 Zenith baseball for $11...close enough. Best 11 bucks I ever spent. One of the most beautiful sets ever produced
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Too easy... '89 Donruss, Fleer, or Bowman. Easily had for less than $10/box.
    The Fleer is easily my favorite to rip.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    1987 Topps WWF wrestlemania III
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • ...hey i got a case of 1991 score in storage.... lol
    SPAM SPAM SPAM! and they are ONLY $5 a box image

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I like to pick up the 1992 All World football boxes when I can find them cheap. They have a beautiful design, some solid photography, and a chance to pull a Jimmy Brown or Joe Namath auto!

Snorto~
  • When I can.. $9.99 Topps, or assorted blasters.
    Any 90-91 NFL
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
    any Swell football box from the late 80's and Pacific/Cramer boxes b4 they got their Baseball liscence.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.

• << <i>...hey i got a case of 1991 score in storage.... lol
    SPAM SPAM SPAM! and they are ONLY $5 a box image >>

They cost me 4.99 a box and I don't have to pay shipping.
  • TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Not quite under $10, but a few years ago I ripped a 90/91 Fleer basketball cello box with the rookie sensations (about $15). Pretty fun. Got to complete the Rookie Sensation set. The Robinson, Hardaway and Elliot are still cool.

Ripped 90 Score hockey maybe 2 years ago. Mostly wanted the Lindros for nostalgia. Like $10.

I haven't ripped too many cheap boxes lately.

89 Donruss is pretty cool. About $9, $10.

• jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    For cheap stuff, it doesn't get much better than '89 Fleer.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    I think the best cheap ripping is Leaf & O-pee-chee baseball I just ripped a cello case of 87 topps, that was kinda cool, but know I probably have 170 complete sets of 1987 topps. Hands down, the most boring rip is the score hockey brodeur/Jagr and the Hoop Basketball stuff. If anyone is REAALLLYYY bored, let me know and I'll send you over a couple of boxes of Topps dessert storm or dessert shield, whatever the one is with Stormin Normin, and Colon Powel. When I run out of my ambien, I just start opening those, it works every time.
    That's funny - I would have thought desert shield would be fun to open. I'll take a crack if you have some available. I plan on ripping 88 Fleer next week. i always liked that set and I figure WTF, why not put a set together and maybe find some gradable Glavine's.
  • kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    1987 Topps WWF is one of my favorites also!!

I like the 1987 Topps Baseball or Football, but they aren't $10. How about 1988 Topps BB!
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I havn't bought a box in 20 years and would like to rip a few ($20 or less box). What is the best boxes (any sport) for your best chance of getting a $10-$20+ card out of a pack. What year and make. I like anything before 87 and anything after 94. Any help would be appreiated because i would like to pick up a few boxes at Nationals this weekend and tear the s*%t out of them. Thanks
    I wonder- what is the oldest box you can bust for 10?
  • mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    This is actually a really good thread! I'm driving to the show right now.. About 220 miles to go.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder- what is the oldest box you can bust for 10? >>

Good question!! I would like to here what the answer would be, my first guess is 1987, do not think that 86 Topps BB will go that cheap??
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder- what is the oldest box you can bust for 10? >>

Oldest non specialty box...maybe 88 topps?

• << <i>I havn't bought a box in 20 years and would like to rip a few ($20 or less box). What is the best boxes (any sport) for your best chance of getting a $10-$20+ card out of a pack. What year and make. I like anything before 87 and anything after 94. Any help would be appreiated because i would like to pick up a few boxes at Nationals this weekend and tear the s*%t out of them. Thanks >>

In the era you blacked out there are several boxes that can produce cards up to 300.00. 1992 Donruss has the Cal Ripken auto plus several elites can bring that much. 1991 Upper deck Football has Namaths auto. 1994 Leaf has Frank Thomas' auto. If you are into grading these boxes can be very profitable as well if you hit the right cards.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Guess >>

1988 Donruss? image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • 1989 Pro Set Football ($9.00)
    1988 Topps Football (just alittle over $10.00)

I like the design on both sets

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET

• << <i>

<< <i>Guess >>

1988 Donruss? image

Chris >>

Close. image

As a kid, I remember buying those at Costco (wholesale warehouse). I loved seeing the pallets of them.
    imageimageimage
  • GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    1989 Fleer Baseball...Griffey Jr. rookie, Randy Johnson rookie with variations, Sheffield rookie, and of course the infamous F**k Face card. When I'm down, I rip 89 Fleer. Then usually give the cards I don't want to kids or others.

• << <i>1989 Fleer Baseball...Griffey Jr. rookie, Randy Johnson rookie with variations, Sheffield rookie, and of course the infamous F**k Face card. When I'm down, I rip 89 Fleer. Then usually give the cards I don't want to kids or others. >>

You ever pull these errors from 89 Fleer? - checklist or Parrish? I've never seen them.
    imageimageimage
  • GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    What errors are those? I've never heard about those.
    In honor of this thread, I bought 2 88 Fleer boxes at Burbank Sportscards this morning - will put the set together tonight and hopefully find some gradable Glavines image

• << <i>What errors are those? I've never heard about those. >>

Parrish has a handwritten i. Unsure if front or back.

Checklist unsure if all (pretty sure all) or just one but it has the players positions listed next to the name.
    imageimageimage