Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did you collect cards as a kid or start when you were an adult?

Just something I thought would be an interesting topic.

As I've said before, I don't collect cards but even as a kid I saved stuff in boxes and had little collections of junk.

So did you collect cards as a kid or just get in to it as an adult? Also, do you still have the cards you had when you were a kid?
Tonya

Comments

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I have been collecting cards since 1959 with a short time out for other fun things like sports,parties and girls not excactly in that order.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Good idea for a thread. My first cards were bought in 1979, when I was 6 years old. I still have those, albeit in rough shape, but I could never get rid of them!

I've kept on collecting since then, though the price tags on my purchases have kept on going up every year!
  • Options
    I started collecting in 1977 as a 7-year-old when my grandmother bought me a box of 1977 Topps Baseball cards. I still can remember sorting them by team on her living room floor and being fascinated by Larvell Blanks for some reason.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tonya, I collected as a kid right up until I was about 16 ( 1986 ) and stopped until I was about 30 and got back into it for a short time buying some overgraded vintage at shows and then selling them about a year after and stayed away until about 4 years ago- since then I have been hooked!

My cards from when I was younger I recently discovered in my basement in a large cardboard box filled with mildew and burnt them all!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    About 1957, but stopped in the early 1960s.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I started in 1987 at age 11. Bought tons of stuff from 88-92 (like everyone else in the world). I kind of took a break for a few years, and got back into it around 1998. I decided at that point that the only new products I would ever buy would be Topps Chrome Basketball and Bowman Chrome Baseball, and Ive pretty much stuck to just those two sets.

All the cards I had as a kid were at my parent's house occupying a small closet. After several years of my mom bugging to take them, I finally ended up going through them all one weekend, and giving most of them away to some coworkers of my dad, who have young kids. Every time I take a trip back to my parents house, I know I'm going to have to spend a few hours going through stuff, either taking it home with me or tossing it.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Since 1961. In fact I still have many of the 1960 cards my older cousin gave me when I was 5 years old! I remember he told me he was going to throw them out because they were "last year's cards". I remember walking out of his house with big stacks of "brand new" 1960 Topps baseball cards in fantastic condition..... if I only knew. He kept all the team cards and gave me the Mays, Aaron, Mantle etc. They are beat to hell but I still have most of them. chaz
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Started collecting cards in 1970 when I was 6 and have never stopped.
    Brett
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

had this since i was about 9 or 10. about 1977
    also have many other cards , quit about 1983 , reentered in 1989,STARTED DOING CARS AT THAT TIME, quit again in 92 or 93. statred back up a little more serious in 1999/2000,,,,,,,stated getting compulsive around 2003

same story for many i assume, glad i kept most of the things i had...ie pack rat LOL

STILL FINDING STUFF I HAD NO IDEA I EVEN BOUGHT OR WHY I BOUGHT IT!!!!
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I started when I was a kid. Maybe 12 or 13. By the time I was 14, I was a fanatic.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tonya! I collected as a kid but 95% of those cards ended up being whizzed on by my dog and thrown out. I'm making up for it though as evidenced by the lack of closet space left in our house.

By the way, all your clothes and stuff from your side of the closet are now in the garage

Take care

Bye Bye then

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Tonya! I collected as a kid but 95% of those cards ended up being whizzed on by my dog and thrown out. I'm making up for it though as evidenced by the lack of closet space left in our house.

By the way, all your clothes and stuff from your side of the closet are now in the garage

Take care

Bye Bye then >>

Hi Matt! image
  • Options
    I started as a kid. I just now started getting back into as an adult. I still have a few cards that I've kept since my childhood, but the bulk are long gone.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    1974. I was 68.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Started collecting cards in 1970 when I was 6 and have never stopped.

Sounds familiar Brett.

I started in 1970 as a 5 year old, 2 months short of kindergarten. I use to walk about 2 blocks away with some "older" 7 & 8 year olds to Ryan gas station in the south suburbs of Chicago. All summer we looked for Ernie Banks, not realizing he wouldn't come out until the end. In the meantime, we traded every Mays, Aaron, Clemente etc for a Don Kessinger, Glenn Beckert or Jim Hickman (hey at least I was only 5 and there weren't any price guides yet). I collected through 1974 and then picked up again in 1977 through 1990. Took a break to get married, have 2 kids and buy a house, then jumped back in during the HR chase of 1998. I saw the prices that PSA graded cards were getting and I have been pretty steady since then.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Started in 1986 when I was 7 with a half box of Topps that my aunt bought me. I remember the 86 Topps Clemens that I took on vacation to Cape Cod and lost - one of the most disturbing experiences of my childhood. I didn't ever buy another 86 Clemens till I got back into collecting 2 years ago. I then put together an 86 Topps set to reclaim my childhood. I collected from 86-91 and fell off until I walked into a shop and liked 06 Bowman heritage. I was hooked again after that. Then I started 61 Basketball graded and became addicted. Now I'm doing fun modern sets and all graded vintage baseball, basketball and football with absolutely no focus!

The funny thing is I also collect vintage golf and golf autographs. I bought an original ball from the 1960 US Open that Arnold Palmer won at Cherry Hills. i sent it to Arnold who wouldn't sign balls in the mail (but does in person)...and then I lost the ball! It was like reliving a nightmare all over again. i never found it...paid $150 for the ball.
  • Options
    As I kid I collected Star wars Cards from 1977-1983 (star wars to jedi) Didnt buy a pack of baseall cards until late 1986, got some Rack packs at the grocery store (Don Mattingly was on the front!) That's when I started following baseball and collecting sportscards. Went to my first card show in early 1987. (just turned 15 years old at that point)
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Collected as a kid from 1977 until 1985, stopped actively collecting during high school, started back up in 1988..and havn't looked back
  • Options
    You can pretty much say that I started collection when I was 9 yrs old. My great grandmother gave these two cards to me and then the addiction began. The cards are in horrible shape but I just could never see myself getting rid of them. Someday I'll have them slabbed just so that they don't get any worse, if that's possible, and give them to my great grandson or great granddaughter.

Edit: Oh, and my wife thinks I'm still a kid most of the time.
  • Options
    Started as a kid!
    -Rome is Burning

• Options

<< <i>Started as a kid! >>

Outstanding!

+1 for Tbag
  • Options
    Started in 1986/87 around age 13. Man, I miss card shows.

Quit in 1991

Started again in 1999 or 2000.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    GatorGator Posts: 210
    I started buying cards in 1980 as a 10 year old. I had one of those tin trash cans of the Dallas Cowboys full of 1980 Topps baseball. I used to sperad them out all over the floor and me and my friends would run and slide across the room on them.

A few years later, I started collecting. image

I bought my first Mantle card at Egad card store in Nashville, it was a 1960 for $20. There was a card show going on that day, and I also bought a Topps Wayne Gretzky rookie for $10. I can remember thinking, I've heard of this Gretzky guy before.

Collected til 1983 gave it up for a while and started back in 1988.
  • Options
    Kid. Mostly non sports. Star Wars cards started it all.
  • Options
    I come from a line of card/memorabila/coin / stamp / china / silver pack rats , My great aunt I think was the worst of us but cards and stuff have pretty much been a way of life since as long as I can remember , I suppose I bought my first pack when I was around 4 or 5 years old 1973-74 and haven't stopped yet , it is hard to remember way back then , I was definitely young .

Ahhh the good old days when life was so much more simple .
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I started as a kid collecting in 1978. Baseball and Football but mostly baseball. I still remember opening up all those packs, especially rack packs.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>I started as a kid collecting in 1978. Baseball and Football but mostly baseball. I still remember opening up all those packs, especially rack packs. >>

When I was a lot younger my dad would buy packs for me pretty much every time we went to Wal mart or the Flea Market, but it was nothing of real value. I stopped collecting when I was about 12 and for some reason (I honestly can't remember!) I started again last year at the age of 16. I don't see myself stopping, for good, any time soon.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....I still have many of the 1960 cards my older cousin gave me when I was 5 years old!........ >>

No freaking way chaz is 53 years old. image
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    6 years old in 1982 was when I started collecting (some Topps, lots of Donruss, very few Fleer).

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Collected '62-'69 (cars, girls, beer)the 1st time around, have just a handful of those cards left. Quit until 1978 and went until '83. (divorce) Quit again until '87 and went into '92 (oversaturation of cards) . I then stopped until 2002, have been going strong since then.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    started collecting in 72 (age 7),been off and on till now.I have been in the last year started to put the sets together from 72-77 in raw condition(reliving my youth)

later
    jeff
    set needs
    03/04 & 05/06 topps black
    72-77 topps baseball raw
    72-75 topps football raw
    any years santo,williams,banks,
    payton,butkus,sayers,piccalo,ditka,hampton
    wantlist

good transactions katscards,swartz1,packman,Salinas
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I started collecting baseball cards in 1980 - Age 5. Then I moved on to football in 1981.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting cards in 1970 when I was 7. I became serious about it (buying sets from Larry Fritsch and Renata Galasso, and going to card shows) in 1975.

I've never quit collecting, but I did sell most of my cards in 1991 (I kept all my San Diego players, Pete Rose and Nolan Ryan). I've subsequently expanded my collecting parameters as shown in my sig-line, but not to the extent that I had in the 1970s and '80s, where I was trying to collect everything (not that that's even remotely possible these days!).

Steve
  • Options
    I collected cards from about 1959 thru 1963. My brother and I played games with them but they did survive, though not in very good condition. What did survive in good shape were my Hartland Statues and my 1960 Post Panels. I still need Killebrew to complete the baseball set.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>.....I still have many of the 1960 cards my older cousin gave me when I was 5 years old!........ >>

No freaking way chaz is 53 years old. image >>

Yeah Yeah Yeah Nam. I am 52 and I blew my cover. I can still kid around with you young guys can't I ?? image chaz
  • Options
    Opened my first packs in 1968 and still remember being the 1st kid in the neighborhood to get a Mantle. I was 7 and all the older kids wanted to trade with me. I still have that Mantle too.
    I also bought sets from Fritsch and Galasso and some older cards from Gar Miller from the early to mid 70s.

All my football, basketball and hockey cards along with my complete sets from 71-76 baseball were sold to buy my first car, college $$, girls, etc
    I bought an occasional box in the late 80s when my dad started getting into cards (very short lived when he realized the cases he bought were basically worthless) and every so often I'd buy a couple of packs or a box here and there.
    It wasn't until the birth of my son that I started buying cards again. And here I am trying to complete the 1960 Topps baseball set I started back in 1974 when my 7th grade homeroom teacher sold me cards at the price of 2 for 5 cents. (The raw Yaz in my 1960 set cost me 2.5 centsimage)
    Hopefully I can finish the set before it's 50 yrs old.

Great idea for a thread!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tonya

Good question.

I started as a kid - always collected something but not with the same drive and conviction when my son joined me - then he left and I never looked back - and that's been since 1989.

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Started collecting as a kid and opened my first packs with the 1971 set. I quit collecting in the late 70's and resumed again in 2006, had to buy the complete 1971 set when I started collecting again. I still shed a few tears when I look through my 1971 set.image

Mike
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Started collecting Mantles in 1955 .... haven't stopped yet.

Nothing later than '69.

Over 3500 of them; 600 of which are PSA graded.

Only sold 1 card and that was an autographed 1958 All-Star, to a board member this year.

My 4 sons are waiting for me to die image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    Off and on since 1980. On again since 1997.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    yes at 10 yrs old in 86-91 again in 2001
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Like most, I started as a kid (1981) and have collected on and off since then. It has been interesting to see the hobby change so much and I have adapted my collecting accordingly more than once.

Snorto~
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Collected as a kid. Loved it, basically obsessed with it.

-First baseball cards, 1985 Topps.

-First football, 1986 Topps.

-First basketball, 1988 Fleer.

-First hockey, 1988/89 Topps.

Alot of great memories. Card shows from 89 to 92/93. Beckett. Sports Card Trader, all that.
  • Options
    This is my 4th time collecting
    Started collecting as a kid, had quite a collection of 50's,60's,70's baseball,football.........collection was stolen
    2nd time collected vintage football...........sold collection
    3rd time filled binders full of stars from packs in 98-99 when the Manning, Moss Rc wave came out
    Stopped till within the last year finally picked up my 1st psa graded card......still have those full binders too

Now you could say I'm hooked again, I have probably 200 graded I picked up since November, and haven't graded anything from the binders yet except 1 of the Manning Rc's

I can't get enough vintage anything, that has always been and will always be my main focus. anysport, even non-sport vintage

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    I started in 1977 as a seven year old. My first packs were 1977 baseball and they were purchased at Candy Rama in the old Jenkins Arcade in downtown Pittsburgh. I collected rather heavily until around 1990. Then I had a few periods where I collected and then didn't collect. I jumped in headfirst again about a year and a half ago. Although I don't remember the exact cards that I first purchased in 77 I know that I still have them as I have hardly gotten rid of anything over the years. I wish that I would have paid more attention to condition back then. I didn't become super condition conscious until 1980.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Started buying packs at the local Kresge in 1974 and with a few breaks in between have not stopped.
  • Options
    For Christmas 1990 my parents bought me a case of 1989 and 1990 Topps and Score. I was 6 then and I can still remember sitting there in my room spending hours upon hours opening packs and sorting them. I left the hobby from 1996 - 2006 and I have picked it back up after graduating from college. I now collect 1950's graded football sets, raw 1950's baseball sets with stars graded and Steve Young cards.

My great-grandpa, grandpa, and dad all have extensive collections from when they were kids and I enjoying listening to them tell stories of their collecting and childhood.

Matt
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Started as a kid in 1975 with my Dad buying me a few baseball packs. Thank goodness I still have the Robin Yount rookie that came out of those packs! Thanks, Dad!

Robert

• Options
    TexomaTexoma Posts: 179
    From age 8-12 (early 1960s, little town in Texas panhandle) I was my Mom's errand boy (groceries mostly) on my bike. We had an agreement--(sort of)--every time I went to the grocery store for her--I bought a nickel pack of cards. For a couple summer there I was volunteering to go the store (just a few blocks away) 3 times a day! We had more groceries in our pantry than most restaurants--I made sure of that! image