Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bargas French Medal of Columbus

Cool medal, have no idea but its signed Bargas. I think its a French medal commemorating
Columbusimage

Don't really care, just a cool piece and check out the relief on this thing!!
Pushed out from the back?.

If anyone has any more information that they would like to share that would be great.
Maybe some info on Bargas and when this was made?

Stefanie

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's cool.

Bargas' Columbus sorta looks like Thomas Jefferson, a little!

Whazzat brass ring thingie, something on the back, with which to hang it on a wall?

I love your side-on shots of the relief.

That almost goes beyond "medal" into "plaque" territory. Regardless, it's pretty neat. I can't give you any much about it, though.

Except that I think it's American, not French. It's in English, after all. And it was apparently made in 1892, which ties in with the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in that year.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OK. I went Googling.

You may be right. Despite the English inscriptions, it could be French.

Here's a 1920s Art Deco sculpture by French artist Henri Bargas.

Same guy? Could very well be.

So maybe it was indeed made by a French artist, but I still am pretty sure it had something to do with the Columbian Expo in America in 1892.

(Perhaps you already knew about Bargas, which was what made you say it was French? Otherwise, I wouldn't have figured it. After all, why would the French be celebrating Columbus?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK. I went Googling.

You may be right. Despite the English inscriptions, it could be French.

Here's a 1920s Art Deco sculpture by French artist Henri Bargas.

Same guy? Could very well be.

So maybe it was indeed made by a French artist, but I still am pretty sure it had something to do with the Columbian Expo in America in 1892.

(Perhaps you already knew about Bargas, which was what made you say it was French? Otherwise, I wouldn't have figured it. After all, why would the French be celebrating Columbus?) >>

First off....It's great to see back posting again!!!

I also think that its from the Columbian Expo here's the link to the auction link

Stefanie
  • Options
    Aha! Now I see why you said it was French.

The question that arises is that if that was done by a French artist, and you bought it from France, did it ever even make it over here for the Expo or not?

It would be interesting if it had been made in France, then brought back to France from America by a tourist. Of course it's entirely possible that it was created by a French artist who was in America at the time. Or it may not even be French at all. But I think it probably is.