Home Sports Talk

Brett Favre to Minnesota...

It will happen, he wants to play for the Purple. He won't go to the J E T S because he is not mentally retarded. He won't go to the Bucs because they have 18 guys already. Minnesota needs him, T-Jack is too raw to waste a year when they are on the verge of going after their first Superbowl win.

I just hope a deal is done before the opener V Green Bay. Imagine the fans, thousands of hearts ripped out as #4 comes through the tunnel in Purple.

A-Rodg will probly break a leg, ala Grossman that game too.

Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Packers wont let that one happen.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Not a chance that happens, unless the Vikings trade for him from the team that gets him from the Pack....btw - is there anything that the Pack could do to prevent that from happening?....

I mean, if your the Jets, why not give up a 2nd round pick to the Pack for Farve, and then trade him to Minn for a #1? Minn is so close, I bet they would do it.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I think the Packers would only trade for a "conditional" pick, something along the lines of if he is traded that whatever they get for him becomes the next 2 or 3 first round picks. Something that would make it impossible for the team to trade him.

I don't care where he goes, just want him to be able to play if he wants to, and wish him good luck. It's been fun watching him the last 15+ years.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pack should offer him to Minny at a Herschel Walker-like price. Then it's put up or shut up for the Vikes.

If the pack is so sure that Rodgers is better, why worry? pack GM is a goner if this doesn't work out anyway.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Espn just reported that Favre for Manny was in the works!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way they could ever live it down if they traded him to Minny and Rodgers turns out to be a bust! I meen we are talking about a division rival here, the best case scenario for them IMO is to say tough crap your on the sidelines until further notice- like it or stay retired!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<No way they could ever live it down if they traded him to Minny and Rodgers turns out to be a bust! I meen we are talking about a division rival here, the best case scenario for them IMO is to say tough crap your on the sidelines until further notice- like it or stay retired!>>

Just some personal thoughts on those two comments. One, I don't think it's enough that Rodgers be a bust but Favre would have to be solidly successful to have egg on their faces. As for sitting him on the sidelines, $10 million is a lot to pay a guy for doing just that. I wouldn't even mind trading him to the Vikings if I were the Packers as long as I got plenty in return (though the Vikes are certainly not going to offer a repeat of the HW deal). Otherwise, I would settle for a lot less elsewhere. The guy is almost 40 afterall. >>

I wont disagree, Honestly I actually forgot about the amount of money they would be paying him to sit on the sidelines- but in the same sense they can get a feel for how Rodgers will be through the first few games and whether they should use Favre or not, also it would give them a window see if a team's starting QB goes down and needs a proven starter- someone other than Minny or even a NFC team for that matter.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i><<No way they could ever live it down if they traded him to Minny and Rodgers turns out to be a bust! I meen we are talking about a division rival here, the best case scenario for them IMO is to say tough crap your on the sidelines until further notice- like it or stay retired!>>

Just some personal thoughts on those two comments. One, I don't think it's enough that Rodgers be a bust but Favre would have to be solidly successful to have egg on their faces. As for sitting him on the sidelines, $10 million is a lot to pay a guy for doing just that. I wouldn't even mind trading him to the Vikings if I were the Packers as long as I got plenty in return (though the Vikes are certainly not going to offer a repeat of the HW deal). Otherwise, I would settle for a lot less elsewhere. The guy is almost 40 afterall. >>

One of the interesting consequences of trading Favre to Minnesota is that it could, in theory, actually improve the Pack's chances of getting to the post season. I haven't run any numbers on it, but at least on the surface it seems that while the Packers would have to contend with an improved Minnesota team, the Bears and Lions would be even more adversely affected than the Packers, since they also have to play Minny twice and their chances of winning in those games would be reduced.

In other words, trading Favre to Minny would significantly improve Minnesota's chances of a playoff berth, but would also have the effect of reducing the Lions and Bears chances, and that of course would benefit the Pack. I'm not sure how you'd set up a model to try and predict the actual effect, but I've been stewing over this ever since our last discussion on Favre so I thought I'd throw it out there.
  • It's getting closer to reality, There is no way Favre takes $20M to NOT play. I have his #4 Jersey ready for him.

SKOL VIKINGS!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Do the Vikings actually have receivers? I couldn't name you one.

JS
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Do the Vikings actually have receivers? I couldn't name you one.

JS >>

Hint: It's the same answer as: Does joestalin welch on bets?
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Favre never has had a decent receiver in GB either. He made some guys careers, but nobody truly dynamic.

When Favre isn't throwing to the defense and is at his best, the receiver can either catch the ball or be hurt by it.
  • We are getting him...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Where ever he goes I believe the Green Bay establishment will live to regard it.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where ever he goes I believe the Green Bay establishment will live to regard it. >>

They probably would have more regard??? (regret) if they were dead. If you meant regret they probably would still rather be alive. image