Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BST boards rant II NPBs - Non Paying Boardmembers

I have had two committments to buy one of my items on the B/S/T boards (same item, I relisted it after the first buyer didn't come thru) and both board members turned out to be deadbeats! What's up with that? If you obligate yourself to something, follow through!

Here is the PM from the first buyer:

<< <i>Hi, my name is XXX (XXXX from these forums) and I read your post about your 1969 Topps lot for $75 on the BST forums. I would like to buy this lot. Please me know if I could pay by money order and if not, please let me know what method of payment (PayPal, check, etc) would be best for you. >>

I told him that I would accept his money order.

<< <i>Thank you for your reply. I will send a money order right away. >>

Here is the PM from the second buyer:

<< <i>Could you take $65 delivered for the lot of 1969 topps cards? Let me know >>

I accepted his offer and told him that I had some 70's as well.

<< <i>Thanks, I will just take the 1969's. I will send payment via paypal tonight. >>

I am not going to name names, but don't commit yourself to something if you don't have the means or intentions to pay! It's just a hassle to edit the item and/or mark it as sold and then have to find out several days later the buyer had no intentions of paying. Anybody else having this problem?

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    If you'll take $65 for that lot of 69 topps PM your address and I'll send payment today.
  • Options
    Wow,
    I have had zero bad transactions thus far. (knock on wood) And no one has ever stiffed me. In fact there are more than a few folks who sent me stuff before I got paid, and I have done the same thing, but thats with people you get to know and do repeat trades with.

• Options
    This thread is worthless without names.
  • Options
    I know exactly who you are referring to because I saw his "PM sent" and my first thought was that he would never pay. He was the one user that did not pay for his packs in the BBCE group break last month and never responded to my PM's asking if he had paid yet.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow,
    I have had zero bad transactions thus far. (knock on wood) And no one has ever stiffed me. In fact there are more than a few folks who sent me stuff before I got paid, and I have done the same thing, but thats with people you get to know and do repeat trades with. >>

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i confess, it's barry.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    SO who is the mystery scammer
    -Rome is Burning

• Options

<< <i>SO who is the mystery scammer >>

Again, WTH are you talking about? No one mentioned a scammer just a non-payer.
  • Options
    oh snap! you been Tbagged!

• Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    44Magnum First- you are new. You left out the REST o the story. So what you are saying is 2 Members offered to buy some cards from you. When? Did you e-mail them axing you know, hey bro did you ferget to mail the MO? You say you re-listed it after the first buyer fell thru but you left out Details, man. It makes me concerned when anonymous people come here and talk smack without the facts. Let us know the details keep the names in PM unless it is Daggett like. Mike Horsley Harrison Ohio
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    I looked for your BST thread link please. image
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    Search Results matching the keyword 1969 by author 44Magnum
    No search results were found back.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't look very hard Mike.

1969 cards on the BST
  • Options
    mike typed in 1869.

as always nice sleuthing Mrs. Fletcher.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>mike typed in 1869.

as always nice sleuthing Mrs. Fletcher. >>

Now that is funny! image
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Mike,

I’m not sure what the fact that I am new here has anything to do with it? If the board members that committed themselves to the purchase had any reservations because I was new, then they should have never made the commitment. As you can see from the links, other board members purchased items from me and they were satisfied with the transaction. The first buyer committed to the purchase July 17th saying he would send a money order right away. It never showed. I PM’d him, but never got a response back. After that, I re-listed it. The second board member committed to the purchase on July 27th stating that he would send PayPal that night. He didn’t. No, I did not PM him back. Why bother after a second time? He actually did PayPal yesterday late afternoon (3 days after he said he would and only probably after reading this thread) and stated that he sent PayPal to the wrong email address. However, I refunded his money because another board member had purchased them yesterday early afternoon in the meantime.

I am not sure what you meant by I “left out the rest of the story” or I “left out details.” Please tell me what more details you want? Do you want their names? Sure, I’ll give them to you, but not on the open forum. Just PM me and I have no problems dropping their names.

As far as not being able to find the links, well here you go:

First Listing

Second Listing

Any more questions?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Personally 3 days later isn't that much later, and may have just got busy. Remember the BST is not Ebay and most people don't hold each others feet to the fire and expect immediate payments. By not PMing the guy first I think you are as much to blame.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    First I will say, I have bought a few items from 44magnum and was very pleased, not only with the speed of delivery but the condition of the cards.

Second, like I mentioned before but no one seemed to notice, one of the non-payers he is referring to was also the one deadbeat from the BBCE group break last month.
  • Options
    Good points LSU.
    Something is rotten in Denmark.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Magnum is in a no win situation here. If he comes on here naming names, he gets beaten up for that. If he comes on not naming names, he gets beat up for that.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    It's always a no win situation when you are involved with lazy or unprofessional people. I had a serious issue with "Handyman", other board members had the same problem. He was to send cards to a few board members and it took over a month. All the while he was selling like mad on ebay. He gave excuses of going hunting, Moving to Sweden, also wrote me a refund check that the bank would not accept, had another name on the check, had a spelling error for the name on the check etc. Another board member that lived near him said he was going to beat him up if he didn't complete the transaction, and all of a sudden the cards started arriving in the mail with a date of only a few days before on the post mark- even though he came on the boards and said the cards had been shipped long before. With all of this stuff that was backed up by another board member, I was still unjustly questioned. My position on the whole thing was this with the people who questioned me- I sent payment right away and I could show when the cards were sent and the seller was lying on the boards- how much more did I need to say. Some board members know that this has still left a bad taste in my mouth. I buy expensive Mantle's, Koufax's and other stuff and this involved like $60 in 71 football cards---ridiculous. That person has no place in this hobby.
    Mickey71
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    44Mag- If either of those two guys lives on my street I will beat them up for you.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Why can't we all just get along?

Get'em Carol!!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Why can't we all just get along?"

///////////////////////////////////

IF a "buyer" changes his mind, ALL he has to do is notify
    the seller, and IT'S OVER.

BUYERS: If you change your mind, just tell the seller and say "sorry."

SELLERS: Just let the apologetic "buyer" off the hook.

The BST is not EBAY. There is no penalty for changing your mind.
    Just be upfront about it, and don't keep stringing it out with false
    promises. The drama ONLY becomes a thread when the "buyer"
    fails to communicate truthfully and promptly.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    44Mag- Sorry, I decided not to beat them up if they live on my street. Please accept my apologies.
  • Options
    I bought a taco from Lee once on the BST forum. It was advertised as fresh but arrived with mold and smelled pretty rotten. Thanks a lot Lee for another night that my family had to go without food.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree with magnum here.

If you as a buyer decide not to follow through a PM is all it takes.

Don't tell someone you will pay that night then wait 3 days.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i> bought a taco from Lee once on the BST forum. It was advertised as fresh but arrived with mold and smelled pretty rotten. >>

Lee offered to sell me that same taco but I backed out after a few days.

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>44Mag- Sorry, I decided not to beat them up if they live on my street. Please accept my apologies. >>

Too busy beating up Nam aren't you?