Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BST boards rant

Why is it that so many sellers list their cards on the boards here and ask for the the potential buyer to make an offer? If you want offers, put it on Ebay. If you want to sell it here put a price in the ad. You know how much you need for the cards. Some of the other forums (not card related) I frequent require prices to be listed or the ad will be deleted. Just my opinion.
James

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I used to be one of the offenders. image

However, once I listed prices, an ad that went ignored for a week immediatly started seeing sales.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Many times sellers don't know excatly what a card should sell for or what the interest is. Besides have you seen how the best offer system on Ebay works it is a complete mess.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I see no problem with people asking for offers.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    economics is based on "barter" theory my man.

you bring a good to market, a potential buyer makes you an offer, you accept or don't accept.

usually ending in a mutually beneficial transaction, w/ buyer & seller being satisfied.

do you live in a country where free enterprise is not common or something?

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭
    Neither do I; if it's a nice card and a fair offer is made, then there'll probably be a sale.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Most "gimme an offer" ads, whether on ebay, here, or elsewhere, usually start out with lowball offers.

The "offer" system only works if the buyer is legitimately trying to make a fair offer and the seller is legitimately unsure of the market value
    of their card. Otherwise its a waste of time for both parties
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Leia- I agree that is the case many times, and if so it's understandable to ask for offers. But I think it's funny when you make an offer and the guy says "It sold for $XX last week on ebay so I would need at least that much". Hey jayhole, if you knew what the card was worth and what you need to get for it, just tell us your damn price in the first place. If you're going to get all snarky with people when they make lowball offers, name your price instead of asking for offers.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I've sold every card I listed with a price, I listed 1 Card taking offers, I still have it. People usually PM offers on cards with prices anyway, I usually build-in some room to lower my price.
  • Options
    i kind of agree but don't.

if there are more than 1 person interested in said item, then there are factors to consider such as: 1- greediness, err willingness of buyer to pay premium prices 2- population of cards 3- see #1

money talks.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more with the OP. The fact is that the person who makes the orginal offer- be it the buyer or the seller-- is working from a positional disadvantage, which is why we would all like to avoid it. However, if you are the one making the proposition-- either as a seller looking to sell, or as a buyer looking to buy-- then the market works far more smoothly if you announce what you want to pay (or get) for the good.

As evidence, just think of a grocery store, or any other retail outlet, and think of what a nightmare it would be if the vendor asked everyone to 'make an offer'.
  • Options
    you also have to consider something called "free choice"

buyers have right to choose whether to buy or not buy from sellers.
    sellers have right to choose whether to sell or not sell to buyers.

you have the right to reply to this thread.
    you have the right to not reply to this thread.

you have the right to try to become a millionaire.
    you have a right to never apply for a job in your life & grow blisters on your ass.

powerful stuff.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Always always always provide a price. It's your friggin' stuff, post what you want for it. If you're in the "make me an offer" crowd, get ready for some stupid offers.

Ron Friggin' Burgundy
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done both scenarios and found that in both cases your always going to get the rogue member who you never see, coming at you with lowball offers. Listing an item/s with prices and then editting the title with "prices reduced" seems to be the best way to move the items.

I have responded to the making offer thing a few times and its a crap shoot, sometimes it works other times it doesnt. Either way if the seller/buyer ends up happy its a good thing!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Always always always provide a price. It's your friggin' stuff, post what you want for it. If you're in the "make me an offer" crowd, get ready for some stupid offers.

Ron Friggin' Burgundy >>

Stay classy Ron image
  • Options
    A grocery store price and sports cards are 2 seperate animals. Cards are considered collectibles and in every type of collectibles bartering is part of the deal. I know of an antique store that prices nothing and she makes a killing on taking offers.

Thing with collectibles is that lets say I have a card that does not have an established price history and I think it should be worth a 100 bucks for it and list it in reality it is only a 20 dollar card. I get no offers or anything because the buyers think I am crazy and will reject anything even in the actual ballpark. Now after a few days i may realize this myself and lower the price.

Taking offers allows me to figure out quickly what the going rate will be.

That said I have had success on Ebay with store item with watchers RAISING the price. I have sold several items within a few hours of raising the price.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If its your item and you want to try for an offer then I dont see the problem. So what if you get lowball offers. All you have to do is say "No thank you" and move on. Though I feel it is more effective to just list your price and saves everyone time, maybe that offer will exceed your expectations.

Geez, just leave people alone and let them sell as they wish and stop the cryin'! I think the only complainers are those that dont get what they want.
  • Options
    barry o barry,

freedom of choice personified.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Always always always provide a price. It's your friggin' stuff, post what you want for it. If you're in the "make me an offer" crowd, get ready for some stupid offers.

Ron Friggin' Burgundy >>

+1

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    Leiascards,

I agree with you on the definition and application of a collectible but many sports cards have crossed into a comodity, per PSA. So price it as such. If your selling high dollar vintage...that is a collectible so an offer is justified.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    Either way is fine by me, both as a buyer and a seller.
    Many times I prefer if no price is listed, because you never know how cheap you will get it until you try.
    Like someone else said, just make a low-ball offer and then you will usually find out where the buyer wants when he responds.
    What's the big deal? There are bigger things in life to complain about.
  • Options
    "but many sports cards have crossed into a comodity, per PSA. "

lol
    maybe if you used the petroleum products in the plastic to fill your tank..... "we need 1000 more pSA 10 87' topps Bonds and we can get a full tank of gas!"
  • Options
    I have a case of bounty paper towels for sale. All offers will be considered.
  • Options
    I will offer you my collection of used band-aids for your case of bounty paper towels.
  • Options
    pork bellies and orange juice
  • Options

<< <i>"but many sports cards have crossed into a comodity, per PSA. "

lol
    maybe if you used the petroleum products in the plastic to fill your tank..... "we need 1000 more pSA 10 87' topps Bonds and we can get a full tank of gas!" >>

I was speaking in terms of pricing, not application. You really took a leap there.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options

<< <i>pork bellies and orange juice >>

+1 for the movie Trading Places with Dan Akroid

As for the OP, I think the "make an offer" thing works for cards. Although, a set price is easier.
    Tonya
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I agree that alot of PSA graded cards have reached a maturity level to be traded like commodities. I think anything Post 52 is treated as such except the very rary sets or few cards that demand is still outracing supply by a good measure (53 Mays, 55 Clemente etc.).

A late 60s PSA 8 Mantle or Clemente pretty much has a fixed price that probably fluctuates more with the economy than due to the cards rarity or desirability.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't agree more with the OP. The fact is that the person who makes the orginal offer- be it the buyer or the seller-- is working from a positional disadvantage, which is why we would all like to avoid it. However, if you are the one making the proposition-- either as a seller looking to sell, or as a buyer looking to buy-- then the market works far more smoothly if you announce what you want to pay (or get) for the good.

As evidence, just think of a grocery store, or any other retail outlet, and think of what a nightmare it would be if the vendor asked everyone to 'make an offer'. >>

This is exactly right.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I couldn't agree more with the OP. The fact is that the person who makes the orginal offer- be it the buyer or the seller-- is working from a positional disadvantage, which is why we would all like to avoid it. However, if you are the one making the proposition-- either as a seller looking to sell, or as a buyer looking to buy-- then the market works far more smoothly if you announce what you want to pay (or get) for the good.

As evidence, just think of a grocery store, or any other retail outlet, and think of what a nightmare it would be if the vendor asked everyone to 'make an offer'. >>

This is exactly right. >>

Guess you've never been to a car dealer? Sometimes it just opens the door to negotiation. Let free market reign!

+1 Tonya! Glad someone got it!
  • Options

<< <i>
    Guess you've never been to a car dealer? Sometimes it just opens the door to negotiation. Let free market reign! >>

Even car dealers display the asking price on the cars.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Guess you've never been to a car dealer? Sometimes it just opens the door to negotiation. Let free market reign! >>

Even car dealers display the asking price on the cars. >>

Not sure where you live but thats pretty rare in NY.

And even so, when someone puts up "make an offer", most times with a little research, the buyer can find out what the item normally sells for and you can be sure they do.

It's not rocket science.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Guess you've never been to a car dealer? Sometimes it just opens the door to negotiation. Let free market reign!

+1 Tonya! Glad someone got it! >>

I don't see the connection between a free market and having a buyer make the first proposal for the price of an exchange. A free market, by definition, is one that is not fettered by distortionary factors, and so far as I know this doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a price for something is listed. But, in any case, markets do tend to work more smoothly when a seller makes public the price they want for their goods. This is why virtually every retail outlet lists the price on their goods.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Even car dealers display the asking price on the cars. >>

Not sure where you live but thats pretty rare in NY.

And even so, when someone puts up "make an offer", most times with a little research, the buyer can find out what the item normally sells for and you can be sure they do.

It's not rocket science. >>

Car dealers are required to display the sticker on new cars. On used cards, even if they don't paint the price on the windshield, I find it hard to believe that if you asked what the price was, they'd respond with "make me an offer".

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1 Tonya! Glad someone got it! >>

I don't see the connection between a free market and having a buyer make the first proposal for the price of an exchange. A free market, by definition, is one that is not fettered by distortionary factors, and so far as I know this doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a price for something is listed. But, in any case, markets do tend to work more smoothly when a seller makes public the price they want for their goods. This is why virtually every retail outlet lists the price on their goods. >>

LMAO Give me a break Boopots! It was an expression not a deliberate meaning so I dont think we need to get into economic definitions...lighten up and get your head out of the clouds!
  • Options
    [q

Car dealers are required to display the sticker on new cars. On used cards, even if they don't paint the price on the windshield, I find it hard to believe that if you asked what the price was, they'd respond with "make me an offer". >>

Yes, thats true for new vehicles. Sorry I didnt qualify that as a USED car dealer. Wow, people are really knit picky today! Do we now need to qualify it for each color car now? LOL

Edited to add: Im not going to go back and forth with members here on small, foolish details. Seems like people want to pick specifics to be arguementative....enjoy the thread!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i have blisters on my arse..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>[q

Car dealers are required to display the sticker on new cars. On used cards, even if they don't paint the price on the windshield, I find it hard to believe that if you asked what the price was, they'd respond with "make me an offer". >>

Yes, thats true for new vehicles. Sorry I didnt qualify that as a USED car dealer. Wow, people are really knit picky today! Do we now need to qualify it for each color car now? LOL

Edited to add: Im not going to go back and forth with members here on small, foolish details. Seems like people want to pick specifics to be arguementative....enjoy the thread! >>

So your point is that having buyers make the initial price offering is a good thing because this is the way used car dealers operate?

• Options
    yeah Boo, thats my point ::::eyeroll::::
  • Options
    legalize it.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

As evidence, just think of a grocery store, or any other retail outlet, and think of what a nightmare it would be if the vendor asked everyone to 'make an offer'

lol

Steve
    Good for you.