Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Recognize this ancient?

Here's one that I can't narrow down. It's roughly 20mm in diameter. I don't know if I've got it oriented properly, but to me it appears that there is a fleur de lis above the bust. Anyone have any ideas?

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Byzantine?
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. A Byzantine follis of some sort. The "M" on the reverse is the tell.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    It's the way that the M looked that threw me off...I thought that it was two guys standing facing each other with one guy adjusting the other's cuff...maybe an ancient haberdashery scene. The thing that looks like a fleur-de-lis didn't help either. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of ancients, I just mailed that Probus ant., for the trade I owed you.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.