Home Sports Talk
Options

Angels land Teixeira

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the Angels get stronger ....

One of the biggest names bandied about as Thursday's trade deadline approaches has found a new home.

Teixeira

Kotchman

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark on Tuesday that Atlanta Braves first baseman Mark Teixeira is headed to the Los Angeles Angels for Casey Kotchman and minor league pitcher Steven Marek.

Kotchman was pulled off the field during pregame warmups at Fenway Park on Tuesday afternoon, further fueling speculation that a deal was in place.

Teixeira was traded to the Braves from the Texas Rangers in a deadline deal last season, but he is in the last year of his contract. With Atlanta falling out of contention, it seemed logical that the team would try to move him.

The switch-hitting Teixeira is batting .283 with 20 home runs and 78 RBIs this season.

Kotchman, who is known as much for his defense at first base as his bat, is batting .287 with 12 homers and 54 RBIs for the first-place Angels.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I like that too much. Definately dont like a possible playoff opponent getting stronger.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    This feels like a GSW to the gut. I know I'll regret typing this later on, but we might as well give the rings to the Angels now.

Okay, I got that out of my system. I hope we kick their *behinds* tonight just to take the wind out of their sails.
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I really hate to see Kotchman go. I really enjoy watching his style of play and I think he has great potential. Landing Teixeria is definitely a (offensive) boost that we desperately needed.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - that is a huge move for them.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I hope he hates living in the Anaheim area and that he decides to sign with someone like the Kansas City Royals in the offseason. image
  • Options
    Angels getting serious in 2008.
    Barry, an independent collector
  • Options
    Angels are chokers in the playoffs.
    This is no news.

Pitching dominates in the postseason.

Sincerely,
    Josh Beckett
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yanks and Halos both made very good to outstanding moves.

Cubs GM says promoting Samardjzia is like a big trade. image

Theo have any tricks up his sleeve?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Glad we got something for him. That's all I have to say about that.

It's a shame that injuries had to mess us up the way that they did, because without them we'd be right in contention.
  • Options
    superb move. Leaves the sox in the dust. Too bad the Sox couldnt dump Manny on someone with more money than common sense.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>superb move. Leaves the sox in the dust. Too bad the Sox couldnt dump Manny on someone with more money than common sense. >>

Hang on a minute. Leaves the Sox in the dust?

They gave up a pretty good 1B for a slightly better one (Texiera is somewhat overrated) for two months, and they also gave up their best young pitching prospect who projects to be a closer very soon. Don't get me wrong, Texiera is very good - and the deal is a nice upgrade for them - but long term they are going to pay for this one.

This deal really didn't change them all that much. They were good before, slightly better now. It ain't over yet.
  • Options
    Honestly, even prior to obtainining Teixeira, they were the best overall team in baseball. Tex, is a better slugger and plays solid defense. Pluse he ads a reliable presence and real protection for Vlad. The Angels have a solid staff and the best bullpen in the A.L.

The sox look old, tired and lifeless these days. They have sluggers who dont make the effort to run out plays, a hole at SS, a catcher hitting .200, sub-standard middle relief, etc. etc. You've got a hitter (Moron being Moron) who is truly an embarassment right now and you cant get rid of him without eating 90% of his salary. This will be his last season in Boston and his 20 million dollar pay days are long gone.

Hopefully Ortiz's wrist holds up, its a miracle he is playing and doing as well as he is. Several co-workers (Ortho) at the hospital are betting he doesnt last the season. For your sake and the nation they better be wrong... I love their heart (the ones who actually try, Pedroia, Youk, Lowell, jacoby) I think Drew has peaked.
  • Options
    The braves did pretty good, and the angels got the pop they wanted. Im glad the braves got a solid young player, hopefully he continues to develope well. In the big picture, it cost us a lot more to get tex then we got in return, both personel and on field success wise.

'Casue we got casey Kotchman............
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Red Sox won't even make the post season.

the Angels got better but the best team does not always win in October.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>The Red Sox won't even make the post season.

the Angels got better but the best team does not always win in October.

Steve >>

The Red Sox and Cubs both sent the most playes to the All Star game, and both clubs have struggled since the break.
    The Red Sox had their Japan trip to start the season. The Red Sox still are in the wild card lead. Amazing to say the least.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<The Red Sox won't even make the post season.>>

Yes, they are in a funk now, but look at the skeds in Aug/Sept...HUGE advantage to the Red Sox.

Sox play 29 games at home (where they dominate, this series against LAA excluded) and have more built in off-days, Yanks and Rays play only 24....plus outside of the AL East, the Sox only tough team is the White Sox (7 games).

The Yankees play the Angels 10 TIMES (6 in LA, and recent history shows LA owns them), Minnesota for 3 on the road, and the White Sox for 4.

Devils Rays play Detroit for 7, Angels for 3, White Sox for 3, Minnesota for 4.
  • Options

<< <i><<The Red Sox won't even make the post season.>>

Yes, they are in a funk now, but look at the skeds in Aug/Sept...HUGE advantage to the Red Sox.

Sox play 29 games at home (where they dominate, this series against LAA excluded) and have more built in off-days, Yanks and Rays play only 24....plus outside of the AL East, the Sox only tough team is the White Sox (7 games).

The Yankees play the Angels 10 TIMES (6 in LA, and recent history shows LA owns them), Minnesota for 3 on the road, and the White Sox for 4.

Devils Rays play Detroit for 7, Angels for 3, White Sox for 3, Minnesota for 4. >>

• Options
    "The Red Sox and Cubs both sent the most playes to the All Star game"

which was, to say the least, embarassing. Esp. since a couple didnt belong their lol.