Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1961 Fleer Basketball Set

Hello everyone! I am new to the message board but not new to selling. I have the ENTIRE 1961 Fleer Basketball Set. The entire set was raw and I am currently in the process of getting the set graded. Currently I have roughly 20 or so of the 66 card set graded. I just wanted to see if there was any interest in this set? I am thinking of putting it on Ebay when I get more of them back from PSA........The majority of the cards came back PSA 9 (OC), with two straight up 9's.......

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    There is interest in this set, but the OC qualifiers hurt the prices realized. Did you get any that weren't OC besides the two 9's you mentioned? Which cards were the 9's?
    You should do well with the set regardless!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Yea..I got some 8 and 7's....The two 9's were Hal Greer and Don Ohl....I am sending them in batches of about 15 each time......
  • Options
    Hi,
    I might be interested in 9s and perhaps an 8 (Robertson/Chamberlain). Email me at hbsturn@gmail.com please. Thanks, Harold
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in any off grade stuff. 4s, 5s, 6s, 7oc, etc.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Hey Harold..I emailed you......John, I dont have anything that low....my one card that came back a 5 (Cousy), looked so severly undergraded that I cracked it back out....
  • Options
    Have you graded the Baylor yet?
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    I have his action card...it came back 9(MC)...his regular card is there now....I am predicting at BARE MINIMUM a 7, as the centering on it is better than my 9s, but I know how hard PSA is on high dollar cards....
  • Options
    PS - I dont know if that's good or bad with my cards being there with all of the graders at the Nationals....any opinions??
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    a lot of times with a card that gets a 5 that looks like an 8 or 9 is because of a wrinkle.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Tis card had no wrinkle...the only thing I saw was the tiniest of indentions on the right side of the card (im not too sure they graded didnt put it there himself when he handled my card)....I cracked the card open and smooth it back out.....
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I need #66 West IA in 6 or better and #32 Willie Naulls in 6 or better.
  • Options
    The WEST IN got a PSA 7...would you like to make an offer or would you just like for me to alert you when I put it on Ebay...I have not graded the Naulls yet.....
  • Options
    Well, I was just offered another one because of my post. I would need to see yours. Can you send me a scan or picture? With a 7, centering is paramount because I would be crossing it to my BGS set (don't ask - I'm an idiot) - and BGS is tougher on the centering of this set.
  • Options
    give me your email.....
  • Options
    Bobby,

I'd be interested in any cards cards you have centered 60/40 or better, preferably ungraded if you have not already sent them in.

PM me...and turn your PM on.....

Matt

• Options
    How does one do that? I am new here and not even sure what a PM is.... I am not sending all the cards in obviously, as it would cost too much, but you have to let me know what commons you want......
  • Options
    Ok, a PM is a private message to another board member. In your preferences, you have to enable PM's. You can PM someone by clicking on the gold lock-type thing on the corner of their posts. Give it a shot and PM me that scan - or PM me and ask for my email - don't like posting in open forums.
  • Options
    Ok..I think I fixed it....I listed my two 9's on Ebay if anyone is interested??

• Options
  • Options
    The 2 PSA 9's have sold....the Ohl sold for $1,700, and the Greer sold for $2,000. I will be listing all the commons (Yes...Chamberlain rookie is included!) starting this week at 9.99 opening bids......let me know if you have your eye on something....I will submit it to PSA while they are running the $8 special!
  • Options
    Very interested in the Naulls. I don't mind paying graded prices as long as I see a nice scan. My set is registered with BGS so it's a waste of money to submit to PSA if you're selling to me on this set.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in any 7's you or anyone else might have. I"m about 20% of the way thru the set, so there isn't much I don't need.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Hey Griffins...so far the 7's I have are: Attles, Baylor, West, West In Action, and Arizin. Want me to alert you when I put them on Ebay??
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    pm sent.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Well, I have 15 of them listed and ready to go tomorrow night!! Included in this batch is the rookie cards of JERRY WEST (7), OSCAR ROBERTSON (8-OC), and WILT CHAMBERLAIN (8-OC). I also have some sweet IN ACTION cards going up as well as BILL RUSSELL's card (9-OC)!!!! I do hope everyone enjoys them! 99 Cent openers, no reserve!!! look under seller name TARHEELTREASUREHUNT
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to see them listed!!!
  • Options
    The next batch will start again next Thursday....now that I have all of the big boys graded, I will be taking advantage of the SWEET PSA deal going on right now....vintage graded for $8 a card (as long as they are valued under $100)......
  • Options
    Well...they are all up...I honestly thought everyone would have an opening bid on them. Maybe the commons aren't as popular as I thought they would be......
  • Options
    Well....I was all ready for the 2nd round of the 1961 Fleer Set break to go onto Ebay....but now, do I really want to? If noone has noticed, there seems to be ALOT of those cards on Ebay right now. In between mine, the cards BBexchanges is putting up, and several others, I have NEVER SEEN that many on the site before at one time. Some of my first batch are still at their 99 cent opening bids. Can someone please give me some advice on whether I should keep putting these on Ebay, or do you think the market is flooded right now?
  • Options
    The 2nd round is now officially up!!! There are now over 100 Fleer 1961 Basketball cards on Ebay!!! I don't know if that is good or bad! The buyers have a good selection of cards and grades to choose from, but it might be overload.....anyway...Enjoy,.,....I hope everyone can steal some!
  • Options
    Well, the first round of the 1961 Fleer set break ends in 24 hours, and almost all the cards are WAY BELOW SMR VALUE still! Now is the time to pick up some super deals if you want these cards for your set. Some of these cards are 50-70% below book value!
    Here are some examples
    JERRY WEST ROOKIE PSA 7 - SMR $500, Current Bid=$260
    JERRY WEST IN ACTION PSA 7 - SMR $250, Current Bid=$56
    BILL RUSSELL PSA 9(0C)=Straight 7 - SMR $315, Current Bid=$110
    PAUL ARIZIN IN ACTION PSA 8 - SMR $75, Current Bid=$27
    FRANK RAMSEY IN ACTION PSA 6.5 - SMR $28, Current Bid=99 Cents!!!!!!!
    OSCAR ROBERTSON IN ACTION PSA 9(OC)=Straight 7 - SMR $130, Current Bid=$22

Those are few of the grossly underpriced cards that come to mind. To say I am disappointed is an understatement, but I have been selling on Ebay for over 8 years, and know if no other venue to unload high quality cards. If someone wants to make a bid on some, please feel free to do so. I am also accepting offers for other cards that aren't currently on Ebay......I am hoping to unload the whole set on Ebay, but if it keeps up at this rate, I may have to explore other options.....
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Bro, may the snipes hit in the last few seconds!
    GL
    Ted
  • Options
    Thank you Ted...with my set bust and BBCEXCHANGES monsters on Ebay, there might be too many listed. I dont see how his 8 Arizin is over $200 while my 7 Arizin is at $23!?!?!? Is an 8 honestly worth 10 times as much as a 7?? Oh well...I learn something new every day! I did buy a Dremel tool tonight! Would love to crack those 9 OC's out and have them come back as 7's.....maybe then I would get what they were worth!
  • Options
    Well round 1 of the 1961 Fleer Set Break is over. Round 1 goes to the bidders. Almost every single card with the exception of two key rookies (Chamberlain and West) went way below SMR. Hell, most went below VCP!!! Round two ends this Sunday, and almost all these are drastically under priced as well.....get them before they are all gone!! (It appears dealers are winning these, and when they get their hands on them, it's back to full retail for consumers!)
  • Options
    For any lower grade collectors reading this thread, I have 5 of the set at ebay now (philipjgolden is my handle) including russell and wilt IA (PSA 4 and 4.5) and oscar robertson ungraded. most are still really cheap.
    yabbadabbadoo
  • Options
    Yes, ther are still reading this set, because the 1961 Fleer BB Set is the BEST SET of all time! I have listed more of the "Set Break" on Ebay....as usual, 99 cent openers, NO RESERVE!
  • Options
    Well, the last part of the SET BREAK is up now.....all 99 cents openers........It was alot of work, but Im glad to finally be done with it....I hope everyone got what they wanted out of it.....and good luck to those interested in the last remaining few....
  • Options
    Link to Bobbyw's Cards ...NICE Aaron bye the bye
  • Options
    Thanks Bam!!! Yes, the Aaron is SWEET!!!! I was going to send it to PSA to try to get at least an equal crossover of 7, if not higher! I was trying to win a Jordan Rookie (SGC 9) on Hunt Auctions to try and send them both to PSA, until the Jordan sold for over $2,000!!! Now I have decided to just to let the Aaron go, as I have been reading on the board that maybe crossovers arent a smart way to go.....
  • Options
    Well..the cards are still there...all still at 99 cents!!!! Where else can you get PSA graded cards from this classic set, all higher than a 7 for only 99 cents??? Enjoy!
  • Options
    The auction ends tomorrow night, and alot of the cards are still at the 99 cent opening bid!!!! These are 1961 PSA graded cards. None is lower than a 7!!! I know the economy is tough, but these are a STEAL!!!! Enjoy!
  • Options
    Oh..Also, the Aaron rookie ends tonight....it is ABSURDLY under book!! I believe SMR is $1,500 (VCP is higher than SMR). The current bid is only at $890!!! Here is the link....

Hank Aaron ROOKIE - SGC 7
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    well i won one of you cards!! the rudy larusso in action psa 7 (st)
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    I saw that...it went for a whopping $7???? It costs me $8 to get it graded!!! Seriously, that's cool......I did rather well with the 3 PSA 9's from the set, that I don't mind giving cards away for free! (Just don't get used to it!)......
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭

<< <i>I saw that...it went for a whopping $7???? It costs me $8 to get it graded!!! Seriously, that's cool......I did rather well with the 3 PSA 9's from the set, that I don't mind giving cards away for free! (Just don't get used to it!)...... >>

To tell you the truth you probably would have been better off cracking it out and selling it raw with a starting bid of $9. Stain (especially gum) are not that big of deal to a lot of raw collectors of sets.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    been there before i have lost tons of money on some cards, i think we have all been there. and think what that card would have gone for had i not bid on it..all thanks to this site you made more money. i hate it when cards i sell go for that low, believe me that has happened.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2