Home Stamps Forum

What Kind of Value for a RW1..... SON cancel

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
with Flaws
What kind of Value does it have?

Comments

• StampAlarmStampAlarm Posts: 1,668
    Well, I don't know. I looked at a few websites that have Ducks and none had any that were cancelled.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Best bet is to search completed auctions on eBay. My first guess would be not more than $5-10. Creased, wrinkles, straight-edge, short perfs at UR. While yes, it has a SON cancel, it's not crisp and fully readable, so in my mind would not justify a premium.

Take with several grains of salt, as I'm not a collector of duck stamps. I know that used examples are almost exclusively manuscript cancelled with the signature of the license owner, so a handstamped cancel may, in fact, be much more scarce... dunno.
  • Those stamps weren't valid for postal use and any purist would tell you that a postmark is of no added value even when applied during the correct period of use. I have seen many with fake cancels as there are a lot of devices of the modern era that have fallen into philatelic hands. However, the above doesn't mean that somebody wouldn't think they are worth a premium over pen cancel.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com