Home Sports Talk
Options

I am sick of the hypocrisy about Barry Bonds, just sick..

Maybe it isn't hypocrisy, but it certainly is singling out one man!

I first want to say, a cheat is a cheat. I don't care if Bonds broke two records...he cheated just as much/less as all those other guys.

Second, I am so sick of everybody saving all their anger for Barry Bonds and saying they wish he never wears a uniform again, when there is a man named Gary Sheffield still playing!

Who is Gary Sheffield? He is the guy that cheated just as much as Bonds, is as big as a jerk as Bonds, and oh....HE ACTUALLY MADE ERRORS ON PURPOSE IN MLB GAMES SO HE CAN GET TRADED! He did more damage to the integrity of the game than Pete Rose and Barry Bonds combined.

Bonds deserves the same treatment as all those other users got....which is basically nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

The notion of a distraction is kind of odd as well. That is just a cover for signing Bonds because he is notorious. Notorious for doing the same thing all the other guys did...and less than the biggest dirt bag in baseball...Gary SHeffield.

That is all I wanted to say.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree 100%. The only thing I would add is that Im astonished at the amount of people that have said they want a bullet in his head!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason so much hate is directed towards Bonds is because he broke arguably the most enduring record in all of sports, the all time HR record, and the former holder of that record, Hank Aaron, was beyond reproach. If Sheffield had been the one to break the record, he'd be enduring as much abuse as Bonds does now. Our society loves a scapegoat, and Bonds fits the role to perfection.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote,

I understand you completely. I understand what society wants and does. And you probably know what I am going to say...

That doesn't make it right. All the people involved in that type of thinking should step back and rethink. The people in decision making capacities in baseball should be downright embarrassed.

Sheffield shouldn't even be allowed to play MLB. He did something worse than Pete Rose. He did something worse than Barry Bonds. He has no good redeeming quality about him.

• Options

<< <i>I agree 100%. The only thing I would add is that Im astonished at the amount of people that have said they want a bullet in his head! >>

--->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    I don't condone or support Bonds any more than I do any of the other guys.

I don't scorn Bonds any more than I do any of the other guys.

My 'support' for Bonds is the foolishness of the people in charge who have blackballed only him. Either suspend all the wrong doers, or move on and act like nothing happened...like they have for everyone else.

There is no good reason to only blackball Bonds.

• Options
    Baseball,

You certainly have a point, and I can probably agree to that.

My view on the detrimental use of steroid to our youth is accurate in what you said.

If I were consistent with that belief, I would have to proclaim all them to be thrown out.

You already agree with the underlying premise, no need to elaborate.

However, as much as I disagree with the steroid use, I also disagree with punishing just one person when a group of people does something wrong...and the others go scott free. That is also a bad message to send.

MLB's policy has clearly been, "what is in the past is in the past." That method and rule should apply to everyone, INCLUDING Barry Bonds. It is there where I am coming from.

If they are going to forgive past similar transgressions, then forgive all who have done them. Picking out one person to NOT forgive is wrong too.

The second portion of my disgust is how Gary Sheffield has done wrongs on the scale of both Pete Rose and Barry Bonds...and he walks around continuing to play(and talk stupid as well)...yet it is never given first though(let alone a second). I would like to remind people that this dirt bag should not have been allowed to play after throwing baseball games. He has done more to hurt the integrity of the game than almost anyone.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The main reason so much hate is directed towards Bonds is because he broke arguably the most enduring record in all of sports, the all time HR record, and the former holder of that record, Hank Aaron, was beyond reproach. If Sheffield had been the one to break the record, he'd be enduring as much abuse as Bonds does now. Our society loves a scapegoat, and Bonds fits the role to perfection. >>

Grote, you NAILED this right on the head.
    Skinpinch, you are missing a huge point in all of this

Barry Bonds broke what is probably the most revered record in all of sports (debatable).
    OF COURSE it is not "right" to let the rest of the putrid lot play their careers out without much fanfare.
    Baseball realizes that most, if not all, of these players will fade away eventually after they retire becuase regardless of how gaudy numbers are, they don't SUPERCEDE a sacred record.
    Barry Bonds WILL NOT fade away. He holds a sacred record.

It REALLY is just as SIMPLE as that.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    4 years ago you would have had an entire message board coming to Bonds rescue...today, nada.....where have all the Bonds fans gone? We would have updates
    on all his home runs the year he hit 73....how times have changed. Goose Gossage is a HOF'er...and Bonds might have to wait forever.

hmmm

js
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bonds also allegedly LIED to a grand jury.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Many good points made here. But my point is simple. There is nothing that anybody can do, be it lawsuits, allegations of collusion, fines, suspensions, loss of drafts picks, to force an owner and/or GM to give Bonds a job. As much as I would love seeing Bonds play right now, nobody can force someone to employ a person.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softparade has it right. If Bonds had had the good grace to either retire or die (I truly would not have cared which) before breaking Aaron's record then I could get past this a lot easier. But he didn't, so he's earned his position of poster boy for cheating scum. Gary Sheffield? Neither I nor history will remember him 10 seconds after he hangs up his spikes. The punishment for McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro and Bagwell (I probably left someone out) will be no HOF induction. Different levels of disdain for the varying levels of shame they brought to the sport - no problem, no hypocrisy.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    I'm glad McGwire's name was mentioned. I have two memories in baseball that I will never forget: Maris hitting #61 and he being so humble that his teammates had to push him out of the dugout to wave to his fans. And then the memory of McGwire hitting #62 and him jumping up and down and pounding his chest and putting on a big show while all the time he knew he cheated. McGwire absolutely disgusts me as do Sheffield, Bonds, Palmeiro, Clemens, Tejeda, Bagwell, Giambi and probably another 100+ players from this generation of self-serving, money hungry hot dogs. Just collect vintage and heck with all the shiney, new cards--it's all junk as far as I'm concerned!!
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Serious question folks. Are you ever amazed at the level of hate, disdain, dislike, etc., that people have for Bonds? I'm not going to recite a list, but I'm sure you would agree with me that there are literally hundreds of worse things a person can do than allegedly cheat his way to breaking [arguably] the most revered record in all of sports. Seriously, a sports record? Most revered or otherwise.

Put it this way, even if Bonds were unquestioned the most hated, despised person in the history of sports, where would he rank in a list that included all historical figures? I'm guessing nowhere near the top. But the level of hate, disdain, dislike that Bonds' name evokes, you would think his name is at the very top.

People, this is sports and nothing more. But I think Marv Levy put it best. Once when asked by a reporter if a particular game was, "a must win," Levy responded, "No. World War II was a must win."

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Serious question folks. Are you ever amazed at the level of hate, disdain, dislike, etc., that people have for Bonds? I'm not going to recite a list, but I'm sure you would agree with me that there are literally hundreds of worse things a person can do than allegedly cheat his way to breaking [arguably] the most revered record in all of sports. Seriously, a sports record? Most revered or otherwise.

Put it this way, even if Bonds were unquestioned the most hated, despised person in the history of sports, where would he rank in a list that included all historical figures? I'm guessing nowhere near the top. But the level of hate, disdain, dislike that Bonds' name evokes, you would think his name is at the very top.

People, this is sports and nothing more. But I think Marv Levy put it best. Once when asked by a reporter if a particular game was, "a must win," Levy responded, "No. World War II was a must win."

Of course, those are valid points you raise...but you can certainly argue that the culture of sports in our society transcends events and concepts that may seem far more significant or important in retrospect. Baseball is our national pasttime, and the home run record is arguably the most enduring record baseball has to offer. Yes, war and pestilence are far more serious and grave concepts to consider, but the word fan, short for fanatic, accurately describes those who favor sports, and it's also true that sports can offer something far greater than you'd think.

I still remember the first game at Shea following the 9/11 attacks, when the Mets faced the Atlanta Braves, and when Mike Piazza hit that late homer to propel the Mets to victory, the emotion in that stadium was so overwhelming, even though it was nothing more than a damn baseball game, that you knew this was far more important than that. And that's why, by extension, and with good reason, IMO, though one was seemingly little to do with the other, that fans despise Barry Bonds as much as they do--he ruined something sacred to all baseball fans, and if you don't feel that the all time home run record is a scared thing, well, you aren't a baseball "fan" (by definition) in the first place.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    nobody hated Bonds when he was breaking records and smacking them into the drink in San Fran...he was the same arrogant jerk he is today.....I guess
    when you are producing people can overlook that,but when you are on the couch they can't.

Bonds can go over and sit next to Rose for all I care!

JS
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Well, trash is trash, whether it's Sheffield or Bonds.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nobody hated Bonds when he was breaking records and smacking them into the drink in San Fran... >>

I did.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I did too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Kevin aka JS is nothing if not totally clueless.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kevin aka JS is nothing if not totally clueless. >>