Home Sports Talk
Options

What cap should a Hall of Famer wear on his plaque?

purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
Since Goose Gossage is getting inducted into the Hall of Fame this weekend, I thought about the above question. I realize that it is entirely the players choice as to which cap he wants to be shown in (if he played for several teams). Most players would pick the team that they had the most success/fame with (like Goose and the Yankees), or played the longest with.

I'm probably one of the few people who would like to have them representing the team that they broke into the majors with (as in Gossage and the White Sox). Wouldn't it be reasonable for them to show some respect to the team that allowed them the chance to be a big leaguer? Gary Carter in his Expos cap is one of the few that I could remember who have done that. What do you guys think?
Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Ozzie Smith in a Padres cap? Lou Brock a Cub?

Terrible idea.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Ryne Sandberg a Phillie, Roberto Clemente a Dodger.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, the players no longer get the final say in the cap shown on their plaque. Up until Dave Winfield was inducted, it was the player's decision. After Winfield was inducted, and supposedly pocketed $1M from the Padres for having a Padres cap on his plaque, the Hall of Fame changed the rules. The HOF now decides what cap the player will wear on their plaque, based on overall contributions to each team they played for.

Edited to add the following from the Hall of Fame's website:

Who decides what team logo will be used on Hall of Fame plaques?

The choice of which team’s logo appears on a player’s plaque is the Museum's decision, though we always consider the wishes of an inductee. As a history Museum, it's important that the logo be emblematic of the historical accomplishments of that player's career. A player's election to the Hall of Fame is a career achievement, and as such, every team for whom he played is listed on the plaque; however, the logo selection is based on where that player makes his most indelible mark.

Steve
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The choice of which team’s logo appears on a player’s plaque is the Museum's decision, though we always consider the wishes of an inductee. As a history Museum, it's important that the logo be emblematic of the historical accomplishments of that player's career. A player's election to the Hall of Fame is a career achievement, and as such, every team for whom he played is listed on the plaque; however, the logo selection is based on where that player makes his most indelible mark.

Steve >>

Steve,

Thanks for the link from the HOF on this issue - that was something that I was unaware of.

And yes yawie, it would be very odd to see Brock or Smith in anything but a Cardinals cap.
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And yes yawie, it would be very odd to see Smith in anything but a Cardinals cap. >>

Well, I don't know about that...Ozzie as a Padre should be how he's remembered. If only the Padres owner (Ray Kroc) had paid him what he was worth. I still remember 1981, when Ozzie wanted more money...Joan Kroc said she would hire Ozzie as her gardener if he wanted more money. After that, the writing was on the wall and not too much later, Ozzie was traded to the Cardinals for Garry Templetonimage

Steve
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I realize that it is entirely the players choice as to which cap he wants to be shown in

Ahh I think they changed that and the HOF decides now.

I think it was Winfield or Boggs that made them change the policy.

Steve

as usual I wrote before reading the entire thread.

Good for you.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you if its a situation where the player had a hall of fame career with the team he came up with. For example a Mike Piazza. He could easily go in as a Dodger or a Mets as he had HOF years in both places. I don't like the idea of MLB having the sayso on which caps the HOF is wearing.
  • Options
    I recall Boggs & Canseco both pocketed $ when they signed with Tampa Bay to go into the Hall as w/ a Devil Rays hat on. Not like that's going to matter w/ Canseco lol.

I also remember Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met but the Hall stepped in made him go in as an Expo.

Interesting subject when a player is so strongly identified with two teams...for example Carlton Fisk - do you think of him as Red Sox or White Sox? He decided to go in as Red Sox.
  • Options
    I recall Boggs & Canseco both pocketed $ when they signed with Tampa Bay to go into the Hall as w/ a Devil Rays hat on. Not like that's going to matter w/ Canseco lol.

I also remember Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met but the Hall stepped in made him go in as an Expo.

Interesting subject when a player is so strongly identified with two teams...for example Carlton Fisk - do you think of him as Red Sox or White Sox? He decided to go in as Red Sox.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it ironic that Mr. Boggs has his jersey retired by only one of the three teams he played for, and it's the team he spent the least amount of time with?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting subject when a player is so strongly identified with two teams...for example Carlton Fisk - do you think of him as Red Sox or White Sox? He decided to go in as Red Sox. >>

I always think of him being with the White Sox.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't he at first threaten to go into the HOF wearing a Nike cap? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars