Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1907 H Canada Cent, toner, w/ error??

I picked up this beautiful toner from a forum member here...and I was looking for some input.

1. What would you grade this coin at?
2. What do you think the value would be (I only have a 2007 Krause)?
3. Is that mark on the back a strike though error? It looks like it is, but I can't tell what the stuff around it is...it feels like it is part of the coin.

On a lot of these pictures you can see the reflection of my camera...I either couldn't get enough light or I would get a reflection of my camera. I guess I need more lights, or I should have taken it out of the 2X2.

Obverse1:

Obverse 2:

Reverse 1:

Reverse 2:

Reverse 3:

Close-up (the best I could do):
Buying £2 Britannias

Comments

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    1. EF40 +/- 10 depending on what it looks like in hand.
    2. No clue right now.
    3. Looks more like damage than an error.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using American grading, I say AU50. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody like ICCS graded it more conservatively like Dan/coinpictures did, but I have no problem calling that AU, personally, and the eye appeal is positive.

Having only a 2007 Krause myself, I can't really say anything regarding the value that you can't already discern for yourself.

A strikethrough would likely be an incuse area; a void in the planchet, which would probably cause that part of the letter N to be incomplete where it overlapped the void. That looks more like there is something raised there. Maybe it is a strikethrough that retained the bit of debris in the planchet? It's hard to say, but there is definitely something interesting goin' on there. Even if it is a minor error instead of damage, it is not likely to be the sort of error that adds a premium. Some might see it as a tiny detraction, but I usually regard such things more neutrally, as a curiosity which neither adds nor removes much value- just an interesting quirk.

Then again, one has to wonder what caused the iridescent toning around the affected area. Could it just be an old piece of gunk attached to the surface of the coin? I would be tempted to poke/pick at it gently with something like a wooden toothpick dipped in oil or Vaseline. A gentle poking with the soft wood of a toothpick, particularly an oiled toothpick, is unlikely to cause any harm, and it could tell whether that is a foreign body trapped on the coin or a part of the planchet itself.

Pretty coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    ttt for the night owls
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭
    I'm thinking vf-ef, or maybe gvf.
    AJ, check out this website.
    I think you'd want those pearls on Eddie's crown
    to be better defined to call it a straight EF.
    Best to all ~
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks EF40 to me. Current value is about C$70. The mark could be die damage.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay